Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Bulky or Chunky Machines
 Edge Curling problems....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  08:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I'm fairly new to machine knitting and I don't have as much experience as I do hand knitting. Try as I might, I get "curly" edges that will not steam out. I put weights at both ends and I try and make sure that the tension does not tighten up but still the last two stitches on either end tighten up.

Any suggestions?

Happy Knitting,

ana
Venice Beach, California

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
It is the nature of stockinette stitch to curl to the WS on the sides and to curl to RS on the top and bottom. It has to do with the structure of the stitch, with the direction of wraps between the purl and knit stitches.

For my machine knitting, I either:

Crochet along the edges,
pick up and knit in a non-curling stitch,
Seam the knitted fabric there.

Plan your projects accordingly.

There are other types of things that can be done. Such as unravelling the side stitches all the way down to make fringe, and the like.

You did not say what the project is.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

NaNoWriMo 2005 username: KDCROWLEY
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  11:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
I did not have a particular project in mind, all of my projects do this. I know from hand knitting that stockinette stitch has a tendency to curl but this is much more severe. I too have crochet an edge or as you picked up the stitches and hand knit an edge.

A friend told me to pull out 2 needles on either edge and activate the partial knit button and that would help. I've tried it and it helps with the "loose" edge stitch once in a while but for the curling in some yarns it just does not steam or iron out. The curl is there forever.

The biggest problem I've had is in figuring out what size hook to crochet with and weather to pick up everry row or every other row. I have over edged many times.

I guess I'll keep trying.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  2:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
I am also remembering, the knitting has to rest after being taken off the needles....all that tension and weight puts a lot of stress on the yarn.

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....

NaNoWriMo 2005 username: KDCROWLEY
Go to Top of Page

petrova
Chatty Knitter

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  04:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit petrova's Homepage Send petrova a Private Message
What do you mean by "rest"?
The young lady who was teaching me showed me to give the piece a firm tug, to set the stitches but never mentioned resting. How long do you let it rest?

Thanks for the help.
ana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.