Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Frenetic, And Unfocused Knitting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  08:42:19 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
When does a WIP become totally unfocused- Let me explain. I have come to realize that some of my WIP's are outweighing the finished product. I am finding myself starting yet another pair of socks without finishing a pair, an unfiniushed shawl from last year and I started another one, a sweater 3/4 done[ just 1 sleeve left to do], and I dared to think I should start an Einstein Coat.
What in Hell is wrong with me? Do any of you all find yourself doing this or is it just me? At what point does it cease to be a WIP and be just plain laziness? I'm starting to feel really guilty about this! I keep looking at patterns/yarn and thinking, Ohh, how beautiful! I want to do this!Hmmmm, what yarn should I use etc.,etc. I think my new Years resolution had better be to finish every thing from last year! KL

dignitynaplomb
Chatty Knitter

259 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:07:06 AM  Show Profile Send dignitynaplomb a Private Message
Your not the only one who does this. I am very easily distracted from projects. I'm always looking at patterns, books magazines and I get very excited over new projects so I go out and buy yarn and start the next thing even though I may have two or so projects yet to be finished. I keep telling myself I will not cast on another thing until I finish one of the WIP's, but I can't seem to resist the call of new yarn.

-Heather

http://sitnknit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Any UFO's that I have for more than six months get frogged back into yarn. To me it means that I have lost interest in knitting it and in owning the future finished item. I would rather have the yarn.

I might start a project while something else is on needles but not the same thing. IOW, one scarf, one pair of socks, one afghan, one shawl, etc.

It works for me.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
Almost all knitters do this - along with crocheters, weavers, spinners, carvers, you-name-it-ers. And everyone has to arrive at their own solutions. Some knitters just go ahead and start the next project, leaving WIP's behind to be completed or frogged later. Some force themselves to finish one project before beginning the next. Some will 'portion out' the knitting - I can work on a new project only after I complete ___ rows on this one - and this is the technique I choose when I feel as though I'm slogging on a large project.

I've come to believe it's a balance thing. I actually need two or three things going at once - one complicated lace or color 'learning' project, one mindless project that travels around with me to meetings and such, and one fun project that's just because. I bounce between them, and normally complete everything happily. I do try not to have more than about four projects going at once, though, because then I'll feel guilty about one of them. But every knitter is different.

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

blr2449
Permanent Resident

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit blr2449's Homepage  Send blr2449 a Yahoo! Message Send blr2449 a Private Message
I tend to do this all the time as I get bored easily. However, lately I'm finding I'm finishing more than I start. Hopefully, I can carry this over to the new year.

Barbara
http://graniterose.livejournal.com/
If YOU don't talk to your CAT about catnip, who will?
Go to Top of Page

lilypad
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  10:30:54 AM  Show Profile Send lilypad a Private Message
Pamela you are right on. To me one of the whole points of knitting is the process, but I need the finished product sometime! We all need to find the happy medium for fulfillment. I'm trying to follow my husband's suggestion: pick 3 things, prioritize the first and spend most of your time on it. But give yourself a break- when something's not fun, it's not done!
Laurie
Go to Top of Page

KS
Seriously Hooked

862 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  5:54:13 PM  Show Profile Send KS a Private Message
KL, I'm not sure laziness is the work I'd use! I have knitting projects all over the house, & a sock in my handbag. Personally, I don't count stocking stitch socks. They always eventually get finished because I use them as mindless knitting. It really doesn't matter which sock I'm working on because the process is the same. Most of the time I'm not even looking at it, so the color isn't even a big deal. I do try to only buy colors I like!

In the case of avoided sock projects, I think about whether it's the yarn brand I'm avoiding or the needles. I try not to repeat that mistake! Same goes for a technique.

In the case of larger projects like sweaters or shawls, I think about whether I still think I will wear the finished item. If not, I set it aside & consider frogging.

Above all, I don't do guilt trips on knitting. It's supposed to be fun, & the minute it isn't, I won't do it any more. I've found that no matter what the medium, the more I'm doing it, the more ideas I have. That means more projects going on. Thinking about more projects isn't a reason for guilt! Projects in your mind haven't cost any dollars & aren't taking up space in your house!

KS
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  6:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
I "generally" finish all projects within 4 months of their start date...of couse I'm a new knitter so I haven't tried sweaters yet...I'd have to give myself a full 12 month window for those WHEN I try them.

I currently have 5 WIP (finished the 6th last night...WOOO HOOO). But 2 of those are blankets......fast approaching my 4 month window.....hmmmm maybe I should be knitting right now????

Wendy

Somewhere in Texas there's a village missing its idiot!
... My Knitting Blog.... My Other Nonsense
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  06:56:15 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
GTFC- What a great idea-I hadn't even thought of that-DUH! I only seem to frog those that I'm having a problem with and then not all the way. I have some kind of a determined gene that makes me frog to correct mistakes; but , does not translate to finishing a project.I do have an AB Fabesque afghan [I tried to emulate with my own yarn choices] that I need to frog- I screwed up the tension on a couple of rows.
Thanks girls, for letting me know I'm not alone in this. I feel better already. KL
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  08:17:23 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I've done what GFTC has done. Frogging is always going on in this house. [:00] Makes the people around me nuts, but if I've lost interest or left a UFO for a long period of time, it's better to frog it & rethink the project or wait for something to inspire me.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes

Trina in AZ
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  3:18:38 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I'm a slow knitter,so I really have to think a project through. Would I want to wear this sweater in say 6 months? Do I really need another pair of SS socks? How many hats do I need living in the Southwest?
I try to have no more than 3 projects at one time going. I want to finish 2 small projects then back to my sweater for the sleeves, then I have planned a cardi, sample bag and a cable scarf.
If I have to many going or thinking about making to many I get very stressed and then I will just quit knitting. I know me.
My motto KISS

karknit

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  7:29:08 PM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
"Startitis" is definitely the archenemy of WIPs, and almost impossible to avoid at times with the constant influx of new yarns, new patterns, all the stuff you read about here. It's not laziness and you shouldn't feel guilty. You just need to find your own comfort level, and even that will vary over time. I'd suggest laying out every WIP and want-to-start project you currently have, giving each one a ruthless evaluation, and assigning each a priority/desirability level. Frog those things that no longer interest you. Pack away the ones you can't bear to frog but don't feel like working on at present. Choose something to finish and something to start, clear your mind, and enjoy your knitting!

Karen
My knitting photos: http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/karenknits/
My blog: http://dispatchesfromtheinterior.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SpinaYarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  9:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SpinaYarn's Homepage Send SpinaYarn a Private Message
I agree with so many other posts - do the frog, ribbit ribbit[crazy].. make all those WIP's go away, and most likely you'll enjoy starting something new with all that lovely yarn.

knit with joy-
Teyani

www.http://intrepidfiberwizard.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  06:08:43 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
I do this too and I like to pick a point where I refused to start anything new. I do not usually frog old WIPs because it's fun to rediscover them and work on them again. Only if I have drastically changed taste or something just won't work. I just frogged something that was never going to work, and used the yarn, it was so thrilling.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  1:19:46 PM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
for those of you who remember, there was a post a year or more ago that asked how many WIP/UFO's you had. i actually had over 30, because i had some baby stuff that needed buttons. well, theyr'e no longer in my UFO pile! a friend needed some stuff for a charity auction, so i dug them out, and some buttons, and finished them off! woot! a whole laundry basket was liberated in this operation, and a charity was served well. WOOT!

Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein and it's up to us not to drop a stitch.
http://dragonmadknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  7:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
What a nice thing to do Minnie! Bet it felt good.

To be honest, dumb as it sounds, I never thought about frogging things. I'd dig something out, forget where I was and put it back. I have occasionally frogged but didn't set out to. Sounds like a great idea to me!

After Christmas frogging party anyone?

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  8:07:39 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Karen,

You are not the only one by far, I am a shocker, I usually get the back done the sleeves get halfway up the front and then start something else.

I even have things that just need sewing and that is sheer laziness on my part.

Sometimes I go through all the half finished things, if its just like half a front to do I will finish it, otherwise I use them in the dog's baskets.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  07:01:39 AM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
It is a freeing feeling to finish something. Then on to the next...
Its a never ending process with knitting. Thank goodness.

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  12:43:20 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I'm already eyeing completed summer tops hanging in my closet that I think I may frog and reknit. I'm just not real happy with them (I think I knit them too loosely) and haven't worn them yet, so..... But if I do it, I'll do one at a time and just knit as I rip.

I don't usually have more than one thing on needles at a time - unless I start a pair of socks so I can carry them easily. After reading this thread, I guess that means there's something wrong with me.
Go to Top of Page

chellethinques
Permanent Resident

USA
1431 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  8:16:04 PM  Show Profile Send chellethinques a Private Message
Just in my direct line of vision - I can see the first 4 inches of one sock, the top ribbing of another, a felted bag that needs handles sewn on, a kids' vest with wonky neck ribbing that needs to be ripped and picked up again (plus armholes...) an in the round swatch, and a mitten cuff. That is not even talking about the sewing table behind me with 3 projects started. Generally, this startitis happens to me when I'm having anxiety problems. Anyone else experience that? I know I'm getting over the hump when I can frog and rewind the yarn, or have a "movie-and-finish the @#$% thing" night.
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  9:04:01 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by chellethinques

Generally, this startitis happens to me when I'm having anxiety problems. Anyone else experience that?

I definitely get startitis in times of stress. Sometimes it's as simple as it being easier to flip through a knitting magazine or look at pictures online in your 2 free minutes (and getting all these cool new ideas). Sometimes it's something like the project you have going you just can't handle right now because you are too tired/too emotional/too whatever.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000