Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What if you won a knitting lottery?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Suppose you won a knitting lottery and the prize is $500. The small print is that it can only be spent on knitting related things and must be spent within the next 2 weeks. It can be spent anywhere and everywhere with no minimum or maximum in any one place.

What would you buy and where would you buy it?

note: This is a hypothetical question just for fun while I'm waiting for my mandel bread to finish baking.

GFTC of NYC

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
One word. Cashmere.

Deb in NJ
http://chappysmom.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

jenniferquinn
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:22:43 PM  Show Profile Send jenniferquinn a Private Message
I love Colinette! I would order yarn, yarn, yarn, and pattern books.... Probably lots of Point Five, a throw kit, etc. And I would order from overseas so I could get even more for the money!
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I'm with Deb -- cashmere to knit something luxurious. The whole experience would be luxurious, first knitting with the cashmere, then wearing it!

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
Since I am new to knitting I don't think I would have a problem running up $500 worth of fun stuff. Books, tools, yarn, bags, etc etc etc...... And I would even venture into some fantastic yarns that I am putting off until I am more sure of my knitting now.

rho
Go to Top of Page

GailnCocoaBeach
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  12:57:16 PM  Show Profile Send GailnCocoaBeach a Private Message
The Cashmere has it!
And - I would keep it for myself when I'm done knitting!!!!

Welcome to my Happy Little World
Go to Top of Page

trekcelt
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit trekcelt's Homepage Send trekcelt a Private Message
Enough something to make myself an awesom Aran sweater - then sock yarn! Lorna's Laces sock yarn.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

trek's blog FO: 40, WIP: 2, OH: 1

"As for me and my house..."
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
Every size addi turbo in 16 and 24 inch length maybe 2 of all the 24 inch ones...
and i could easily do some damage on yarn with the remainder : )
or maybe a miniuature sheep could that count : )

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:14:58 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
Only $500? I could go through that in a couple of hours, never mind a couple of weeks!

First, I order the beautiful chestnut colored alpaca yarn from that farm in NH that I really want to make a sweater for my husband. ($100 down, $400 to go)

Then I order in grey for me a sweater of the same. ($80 this purchase, $180 total, $320 to go)

Next I visit patternworks for some Koigu...I'll say 15 skeins. ($165 this purchase, $345 total, $155 to go)

I see I have $155 to go, and call the alpaca place again, and put in for one more sweater. Dark brown this time. ($100 this purchase, $445 total, $55 to go.)

Next up I visit the LYS. Cascade 220, 4 hanks $32, And I decide to buy that other beautiful hank of wool, that I've been admiring and haven't purchased, $25. ($57 this purchase, $502 total, -$2 to go.)

Hmmm...now I've overspent my money in retail price alone, not counting tax and shipping. Guess I'm putting that wool hank that I've been wanting back. Boo.

Not that I've thought about this or anything, mind you.

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

fleurdog
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:16:49 PM  Show Profile Send fleurdog a Private Message
The Zelda Weekender bag, more Lantern Moons and Addis, and yarn for a yummy sweater for me!

Carrie

"Waddaya expect me to do, sit home and knit?"

-line from film noir classic
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
well I would get a lendrum dt....
then.... mmmmm..........
how about a tunis?
that should take care of 500....
I get a wheel to spin the fleece of the sheepie

how about that thinking?
in the long run it is cheaper?

if not
then books
now I want folk knitting in estonia
and some 0, 00, 000 needles....

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Bloberry
Chatty Knitter

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:35:21 PM  Show Profile Send Bloberry a Private Message
Since there are so many zillions of yarns I haven't yet tried, I'd just go nutty-buddy getting a little of this and a little of that!

Jan

Come Visit My Blog! - http://bloberry.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:46:26 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Some years ago I saw a cabled sweater in a soft blush cashmere at Nordstrom's. It was about $800 - I'd make a down payment!

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

kimmiebear
Gabber Extraordinaire

359 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  1:47:42 PM  Show Profile Send kimmiebear a Private Message
I could drop $500 within the hour! Some cashmere and other yarns that I have not tried (because of sticker shock). Maybe one knitting bag.
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  2:00:30 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
I have to go with the cashmere...well, and maybe some Addi needles too.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  2:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Ha! look at my fiber room, you'll think I've already won it!

Okay, I'd repay my husband for the wheel he just bought me.

OR if past purchases don't count (they don't, right?) then I'd go for multiple Addis in the sizes I use most....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3464 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  2:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Some Jade Sapphire Cashmere, all the Rowan kidsilk haze I can find, Addi turbos and Addi naturas 40" length in every size.

Go to Top of Page

Mermaid Knits
Permanent Resident

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  3:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mermaid Knits's Homepage Send Mermaid Knits a Private Message
Qivuit laceweight to make shawls with. One for me, one for my mother-in-love, and one for a charity fundraiser, until I run out of this luxurious wool (from muskox). I would likely order from Whitehorse, Yukon. The store used to be called Folknits and was recently sold. Don't know if they kept the same name.

The ultimate indulgence.
Arctic-mermaid
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  3:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Yeah, I am with the knitters who say "Only $500?" that's not so much a lottery to me... but that's cuz I have no discipline... I dropped close to $90 in less than 1/2 an hour on kpixie today - (see "retail yarn therapy" thread...)

When you get into some of the luxury yarns it's easy to spend.... I would love to spend more than I have on yummy stuff like cashmere (which I haven't yet tried) and I would love some latern moon needles and some of the addi's that everyone raves about. I am guessing that $500 would only take 2 hours rather than 2 weeks, :)

Cheers and major pats on the back to anyone who has the self-restraint to make that lottery winning last 2 weeks!

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

ScubaQueen
Seriously Hooked

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  4:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit ScubaQueen's Homepage Send ScubaQueen a Private Message
Can I use it to pay down my credit card debt? The card I've used to buy pretty yarns of course!!

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a credit abuser....$500 should cover it

Wendy

Somewhere in Texas there's a village missing its idiot!
... My Knitting Blog.... My Other Nonsense
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  5:14:58 PM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
Oh man! $500 on yarn!! Woo HOO!!!!

I'm with the cashmere people. I have a pattern from Vogue knitting a year or so ago for a chunky cashmere cabled sweater. $$$$ spendy but gorgeous.

Also I would have to try some addis. Haven't plunked down any cash for those yet.

Then I'd buy enough yarn for a couple more sweaters for me. No gifting this stuff!

Actually it might take me two weeks to make all the decisions on colors, patterns, etc... since I don't know my next sweater pattern and yarn off by heart like some of you.( I'm sick, I know haha)

Angela
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.