Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Wheels
 Majacraft or Columbine users
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  2:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I have just discovered that the one feature of my Columbine that annoys me is actually a feature of each of the Majacraft wheels. The flyer does not have a row of built-in hooks. Instead, there is one moveable hook. Their web site describes this (for the Suzie) as a single-hook flyer. Mine had two such hooks, which was great, because if I use just one the yarn moves from the orifice to the hook while rubbing against the side of the bobbin flange. I of course have already lost one, when taking the flyer off the wheel to empty a bobbin. I may someday find it in all this chaos. Meanwhile, I am trying to improvise. A small hairclip worked for a little while but the fibers keep getting caught in its teeth. I measure the circumference of the flyer's "arm" (using the Skacel knitting needle gauge -- it is about the size of a 10.5/6.5 mm knitting needle). This weekend I may browse a hardware store looking for something I could use. If any of you have developed something, please let me know. Or do you just let the fiber run along the flange of the bobbin?

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  4:11:28 PM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I have a majacraft and use the single hook. You can order replacements for them online, and ones that are solid ceramic circles rather than the "e" style that comes standard. It is completely removable, you pinch it to open the portion around the arm just enough to slide it. I just put it on the other side of the flyer when needed so there's no need for two of them. I wonder if the Majacraft version would fit on your columbine? Then you could just order some extras. Here's one website where you can order, I'm sure there are others...http://www.woolery.com/Pages/majacraftfr.html#accessories

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  5:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
The single sliding hook is actually one of the features I really like on the Majacraft as opposed to the row of hooks on most other types of wheels. Each to his/her own, I guess!

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  7:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Thanks Amanda -- I may give the Majacraft hook a try (I'll ask the Woolery if I can return it if it doesn't fit the Columbine. Kathy, I've never spun using a flyer with the row of hooks, and find it interesting you prefer it -- certainly Majacraft presents it as a plus on their website. Why do you prefer the single sliding hook? Faster to move?

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  9:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Fewer things to tangle your yarn on, infinite variability in where the yarn winds on next, less fussy.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2005 :  2:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Lissa said it all!

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

arianie
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit arianie's Homepage Send arianie a Private Message
I agree with KathyR and Lissa

I love all my Majacrafts; the way they're set up is just so convenient.

Arianie

my_lovely_tekoteko
Go to Top of Page

Anepasor
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  11:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Anepasor's Homepage Send Anepasor a Private Message
You can also consider switching your flyer with a Wooly Winder at http://www.thewooleewinder.com/, which is an automatic bobbin winder. It automatically winds the twisted fiber onto the bobbin. They are a bit pricy, but many people swear by it. HTH.

Rosa

Rosa
The curly haired knitting, spinning, and sewing mama.
Go to Top of Page

amandaCO
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  09:52:00 AM  Show Profile Send amandaCO a Private Message
I agree with Lissa and KathyR, too. I never have any trouble with the single sliding hook.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe