Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 When is it OK to abandon a project?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  10:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I agree that it is ok to abandon something when you don't like it anymore, can't stand working on it or whatever. If I get really tired of a project, I put it away in a drawer for a while, and then get it out later, when I am interested in working on something different. Sometimes I decide right then to tear it apart or give it away or whatever. I decided with fabric a couple of years ago, to go through it as seasons change and decide if I still want to make it up. If I don't, then I give it to my local thrift store. I figure that there is someone who will be just thrilled to get some fabric, yarn also, for a little bit of money. So, they are happy, and I am happy. I also have been trying to look at all my purchases of fabric, yarn, etc. and ask myself if I will really enjoy making it, and will I want to wear it or if somebody else will, before I buy it. Of course, there are times that I forget all that and just buy something pretty or on sale...but at least I am trying to curb it. I really hate it when I have to give away or throw away something I paid good money for!! Anyway, I think we all have made purchases and started things we later regret. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

Scottiemaam
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  10:01:07 AM  Show Profile Send Scottiemaam a Private Message
I have a few unfinished projects here and there, but have decided they've either got to be finished or go ASAP. I have a bedroom in my house that is exclusively for my knitting and doll collection. The closet is full of yarn, and yesterday my daughter went to organize it for me, and she was almost buried alive when she opened the door! I like order in my life, but you wouldn't know if judging by my yarn collection. Something must be done!

I have just finished the Artful Afghan from Lion Brand that I made for a friend. It was just a simple ripple done on #17's, but by the end I thought if I didn't finish it I'd burn it, mainly because there were 10 different yarns, knitted 2 at a time, changing every 4 rows, and all those ends to weave in were maddening. But finish it I did, so now I get to START SOMETHING NEW. I'm going to attempt domino knitting - anyone doing this, I'd love to hear from you!

Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  11:04:36 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
I try and limit the number of WIP's I have on the go at any one time to no more than 4...and this usually includes a sock. However at the moment I have 5 WIP's my Jaeger Chamonix sweater is about 2 hours away from completion - I just need to finish the neck and sew in the ends - but because it is a big heavy sweater and we are now into spring here...I haven't been able to bring myself to get it done! No big deal - that will get finished before next winter no doubt. Currently I have a Rowan Summer Tweed sweater on needles for myself, a Rowan Denim sweater for my SO, a Rowan Kid Classic sweater called Kiri for my godmother and of course a sock on the go. They are all in the early stages of the project....but they are good things to pick up and knit a few rows of after work!

Like Fran I also get great joy out of planning and selecting my next project - and often I never ever even order the yarn. I pick the pattern choose my yarn - pick the colours - price it and sometimes I'll even buy a ball and knit a swatch. I know if this project is still going around in my brain after another month - then I really really want to do it! Don't be mislead though - I still succumb to impulse project purchases too!

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  11:16:42 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
Oh - and I forgot to add in the previous post....that basically my planning and swatching and preparing has taken the place of purchasing due to the No Yarn for 1 Month pact I signed with many of you ladies earlier this year.

Let me explain - as many of you know I am saving to buy a house with my Boyfriend....hopefully we will start looking immediatly after his final Masters exam which is around Nov 10th.

Well although forcing myself to abstain from yarn completely only made me want to buy it even more - but it did teach me to be a conscientious buyer.....hence I usually only purchase yarn for projects that have been swimming around in my skull for a while! Also I have learnt not to beat myself up when I fall of the wagon once in a while.....I have to admit all in all - although I had trouble sticking to No Yarn pact - when i realised what worked best for me I managed to really change my ways and curb my spending!!!

I currently have three yarnless projects which I have been wanting to make for the last 3 months - so I know that if I buy the yarn .... it really is something I want to do NOW. 1) A Wool/Cotton throw by Rowan in Dusky Pink, Chocolate, and Pale Blue on a beige background 2) The Great American Aran Afghan - I cannot wait to start this and 3) A cardigan or jumper (sweater) in Rowan Calmer .... I LOVE this yarn ... just can't find a pattern I am completely happy with yet. (But when I do - just BEWARE!) Now my biggest choice is - which throw should I make first!!!

Jacqueline

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  12:53:47 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Jacqueline, I too, as you know, have my order of Calmer. It is so soft. I ordered the light pink. I don't think I have anything in my wardrobe in pink! I just can't seem to find the right pattern. I want to make a twin set. If anyone out there has a nice pattern for a twin set I would appreciate a referral! Let me know! I need another project on needles like I need another hole in the head, but Calmer is just such an awesome yarn I couldn't resist!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

WinterSong
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  06:46:18 AM  Show Profile Send WinterSong a Private Message
I've just gotten back into knitting and have finished a baby hat
and scarf, a baby sweater and am working on a 2nd baby sweater.
I did buy Bernat Cotton tot yarn - so soft, but just don't know
what to do with it! I don't like the way it knits up. I guess I
could do wash cloths, but don't really want any! So, the yarn
sits and maybe eventually I'll do something with it or give it
away.
I don't think I want to many projects going at one time. I have
a baby blanket in the works now along with the sweater for my
new grandson. While I'm doing this I bought yarn for the Kangaroo
duo in the Purl stitch. (wool-ease). I may be a little crazy for
starting something big like this and it has alot going in the
pattern for me, but look what I will learn by doing it! Also got
some yarn to knit the maximum scarf in the knit stitch. Beyond
that I'm not planning yet. Though I see lots and lots of things
I want to knit! I do have some skirts I bought and need some
tops to go along with them. I will keep my eye out for what may
look good. It sure is okay to abandon a project if it really is
causing grief - knitting is for pleasure and enjoyment, and
hopefully a sense of satisfaction when you have a lovely gift to
give, or something for yourself.

Happy knitting!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  07:26:24 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Connie, What's the Kangaroo Duo? A hooded sweatshirt?

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  11:45:32 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Actually the one "project" I abandoned was more like abandoning a yarn. I bought two skeins of wool at a farmer's market-- liking the texture for pillows for the couch (not super-soft, but not bad)... and the stuff broke, twisted, got into knots, etc. It was *so* horrible to swatch that I just put it in the back of the closet. Later when we had to move, I just junked it-- I couldn't even contemplate foisting it off onto someone else!

At least it was cheap :)

And I had decided on the project *after* scoring a deal on the wool-- so I'm figuring I abandoned the wool-- not the project. (B/c the project wouldn't have made the move either-- it would have been gifted)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

WinterSong
Chatty Knitter

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  1:03:51 PM  Show Profile Send WinterSong a Private Message
Hi Vicky,
The Kangaroo Duo is a knitted sweatshirt. It is in the
Purl Stitch. I wanted something as outerwear, not sure if I
should do the poncho, a jacket or what. I decided on this one.
She gives the pattern for mens and childs - a lady can wear the
mens size. It calls for medium weight yarn - wool or wool blend.
So I went with the Lion Brand wool-ease in a rose heather.
Have you ever done a hood? I like Sally Melville's directions,
so thought I'd go ahead and try. I should start it pretty soon.
We'll see what happens! I told myself I was going to stick to
small pieces to begin, but couldn't resist this one! There are
alot of garments I like alot in her two books. And If I need help,
(which I'm sure I will) I can come to the forum!

Connie

Go to Top of Page

mrc628@aol.com

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  3:27:38 PM  Show Profile Send mrc628@aol.com a Private Message
Eeeeek! I just counted and I have 7 UFOs!!! Way too many for comfort. The only thing that will work for me at this stage is to take up one project and not even look at the others until it's finished. I really admire those of you who set a limit on WIPs and stick to it.

As far as the original question about abandoning a project goes, I've done it and will do it again. Sure, I feel guilty about discarding (okay, throwing away) yarn that I've spent good money on, but once the lid goes down on the garbage can I feel tremendous relief. If I really like the yarn and don't associate it with a "tough" project, I'll rewind it and put it back into the stash.
Go to Top of Page

renee ann
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  7:09:33 PM  Show Profile Send renee ann a Private Message
I usually have at least 4 different projects at a time. Right now I have one sock started - I got the toe done then just couldn't face the rest of it. I have a sweater that is done except for the sleeves and has been on hold for over a year, I'm critically low on the yarn for it and since its hand spun there's not another skein to be had. Then there is the baby blanket I've been commissioned to make (boring, but I promised), another sweather I'm doing from the neck down and the very beginnings of a lace shawl which I'm going to end (the yarn and the pattern aren't meshing right). And of course I can't wait to get started on the GAA Afghan.

I too keep promising to not buy anymore yarn unless I have a project for it, but how can one resist such wonderful yarns? At least I make myself actually FINISH a project before I start another one.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  7:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Vicky,
There is a really cute twin set in the book Vogue Knitting Very Easy Knits on page 41. It happens to be photographed in pink. I am not familiar with Rowan Calmer as far as what gauge it knits to but take a look at this twin set and see if it works for you.

Jacqueline,
I love your phrase: "yarnless projects" - what a perfect description. That is a book we could all publish.

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  8:31:34 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Gftc, Thank you for the idea. Unfortunately that's one book I don't have....every other Vogue but not that one. I thought I had it, but it's the quick knit one. Anyone w/ a scanner? I don't want to buy it unless I really like the pattern. Calmer knits according to the label 21 sts and 30 rows per 4". Does that match the gauge for the pattern? Oh I hope so....I really want to get this done during the Winter for this coming Summer. I think it will be great for the Bay Area where the days are warm but the evenings are cold due to the fog.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  8:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Vicky,
The twin set is 15sts/20rows/4" on US#9 needles. They suggest Classic Elite Le Gran mohair. That doesn't match Calmer but maybe you have another yarn you'd like to use. I'll keep my eyes open for another twin set in Calmer gauge.

Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  10:35:44 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
GFTC, I'm glad you liked my "yarnless projects" phrase! The awful thing is that the three yarnless projects that I mentioned were only the ones that I have been planning to do for around 3 months now!! I always have many many more yarnless projects on the go - except as I said before unless they are still in my "imaginary project basket and imaginary stash" after 3 months they never get made!!!

Vicky, I will keep my eye out for a nice twin set for you that will work with the calmer. GORGEOUS yarn - I can't wait to use it myself!

Jacqueline

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  01:00:16 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Calmer, wasn't that the really pale stuff Clara reviewed a couple of weeks ago. If it is, you're finally talking about a yarn I don't want. I prefer more vibrant colours.

The only project I've really quit on is a bulky sweater I started many years ago for my now ex. I have no interest in finishing it, which is a good thing, since I have no idea where the pattern is, or where I got it, or wherer the rest of the yarn is, or . . . You get the idea.

I am, however, seriously peeved at the gloves I'm making, which I've made a seperate post about, so won't repeat here.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  02:00:39 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Barbara, Calmer comes in very pale colors, but it also comes in vibrant colours also! It's probably one of the softest yarns I've felt. The only softer yarns I've felt are the Kidsilk Haze and Touch Me. Calmer is a cotton (75%)/ acrylic blend. I think I chose pink (not my normal color) because it reminds me how soft the yarn itself is.....Go look at www.colourway.co.uk They have many colours available. Great prices too!

quote:

Calmer, wasn't that the really pale stuff Clara reviewed a couple of weeks ago. If it is, you're finally talking about a yarn I don't want. I prefer more vibrant colours.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  11:21:15 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Gee, thanks, Vicky. Go ahead. Try to talk me into wanting a yarn I've managed to convince myself I don't want. If I go look, and I like it, and I order some, I'm sending you the bill!

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Vicky, haaaah. You've been foiled in your nefarious plot to make me buy more yarn!! The colour chart refuses to load. Maybe it knows something?

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  12:00:57 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
These days I find myself fairly relieved when that happens... LOL. I have to avoid spending some money myself....

:D myshelle

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.