Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 spreadsheet advice needed...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  08:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Hi all-

The time has come to officially make an inventory of the stash- it's getting out of hand and hopefully knowing what I have will help out... while I know this really just a pipe dream and an excuse to play with my yarn I am going to do it anyways...

But... what I need is some expert advice on how to catagorize my yarn... does anyone have any spreadsheets they can share or other ways they keep their inventory that they can suggest for me to do mine? There seem to be endless ways to do this and I am clueless as to what the best way might be...

Thanks!
Samantha

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I can send you one as an attachment if you PM me with your email address.

Otherwise, across the top I have:
Brand/Name
Weight (word description, Aran, fingering, worsted, etc)
Color (my description and the number if there is one)
Lot
Put Up (g/yards)
Number of balls/skeins
Gauge
Material (the fiber composition)

I then list the yarns in alphabetical order and within that by color number order. For example:

Cascade 220 worsted 4147(B?) (bright yellow)
Cascade 220 worsted 7807 (dark purple)
Cascade 220 worsted 7818 (clear, bright blue)
Cascade 220 worsted 2411 (brown-red)
Cascade 220 worsted 8010 (natural)
Cascade 220 worsted 8393 (navy)
Cascade 220 worsted 8393 (navy)
Cascade 220 worsted 8400 (mid-dark grey)
Cascade 220 worsted 8401 (light grey)
Cascade 220 worsted 8505 (white)

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  08:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
that would be great- pm on the way! thanks

When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Wow, you guys are organized! I've used a spreadsheet to map out the felted clog pattern so I could follow it easily for whatever size I wanted to make, but haven't used it for stash. As it grows I may have to think about doing that.
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
My friends really teased me for doing this, but I used the Tasks or To-Do list on my Palm as an inventory. That way I had it with me when I went somewhere. How? I created a topic that was yarn name (or brand) and then as the 'task' I listed the color. You rank these by priority (1-5) and that is how I kept track of how many I had. If I did have more than 5 of something (I was doing scarves mostly, so had scarf yarn inventory on it)I just made a note when I added the color. Then when I used one or got another I lowered or upped the 'priority'. Kinda dumb I guess but it worked for me.

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2604 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:35:22 AM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I too have an excel spreadsheet for my inventory. The columns I use are:

Manufacturer
Yarn Name
Color
Class (worsted, etc.)
Quantity
Yardage per skein
Total yardage
Fiber content
Stated gauge
Gauge per inch
US Needle size (recommended)
Color number
Lot number
Price
Source (Place and date)
Comment (Ex: what project I had in mind)

Yes, it took a lot of time when I first did this, but now it's easy to add new yarns, and it's great to have. I usually keep it sorted by gauge per inch, but I can obviously sort in other ways if I need to. I sometimes sort by total yardage - that's great for figuring out my options for certain scarf projects.

I went further and have other worksheets with a needle inventory, a pattern inventory, a magazine inventory, and a book inventory. Now if only the rest of my life were as organized!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Yeah, I know it's going to take quite a while, and my stash isn't even "that" big yet, but I think it will be worth while in the end. I will have to start a blog when I am done just to share it!

Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  06:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
I do a similar thing with an Excel spreadsheet as anderknit. I also have another tab for projects (source, name,description,gauge,yrds needed,yarn used,needle,etc) that I can print out and take with me - I usually print it twice - once sorted by gauge (so if I find yarn I can find a pattern to fit it) and once by yarn name (so if I find that particular yarn I can find the pattern!)

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  3:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I've toyed with this idea and have a tab for the stash, a tab for books and a tab for projects. I was able to get all the info together and work out which books were the best value based on use and what each project cost me.

I obviously had too much time on my hands....I haven't kept it up to date this year.
I also played with a set up in Access that works well but I didn't maintain that one either.

Really if you are not a list maker don't bother, you have to be consistent in using these things. I just like the challenge of getting it to work.

Wen

2005 stats: 7 FO, 9 WIP, 1 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2005 :  6:07:05 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Hmmm...maybe this could be a VBNet project.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe