Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet for beginners - basic questions
 Sewing together Granny Squares
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  09:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi,

I'm very new at Crochet and I'm working on making Granny squares from the contents of my scrap pile . . . which is what I've been planning to do with some of it for the past few years . . . when I'm not making kids hats and mittens from it . . .

My questions is, what is the best way to attach the squares to each other?

Should I put them faces together and just sew around the edges? Should I try to crochet them together somehow?

I'm planning to sew together panels of 9 squares to make bigger squares and then arranged those into some sort of larger pattern to make an afgan for the couch . . . something that we may start using as a lap warmer which will get bigger once I can get more panels done. Perhaps someday it will grow into something that fits on our king size bed . . . down the road when I've generated a lot more scraps!

thanks for any suggestions.

Martheme

visit my sites:
http://www.inspirationsyarn.com
http://martheme.blogspot.com/ & the baby blog http://mimmot.blogspot.com

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1353 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
I've crocheted granny squares (GSs) together before. I stack 2 ontop of eachother and then sc in the first stitch of the first GS and then sc in the 2nd stitch of the 2nd gs, 3rd stitch of the 1st etc. It leaves a bit of a ridge on the working side but it's not too noticable.
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  1:22:59 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
Like everything else, it depends

Whip stitching the squares together will not show, but if you crochet them together, you can use the crochet as some extra color or design between the squares. Or, you can slip stitch them together - the best of both worlds.

Helpful, aren't I??

www.tabbico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  1:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I have a bag of granny squares that I made in 1999. Remember Y2K? I thought a granny square afghan would be representative of the 20th century but 6 years later I haven't sewed them together and I am wondering why I thought that.

I might just sew them into strips and make scarves. Or I might not.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:09:10 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
I always whip stitched them together for a smoother surface, but try several methods to see which one you like best. Personally, I will avoid pieced afghans like the plague since the sewing up is my least favorite part. (Try sewing together hexagonal blocks---fun fun fun at each corner!)

Although I could make a really cool afghan from the bits and ends in my stash.....

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I have 222 that will be a present for my son. Eventually. He wanted an afghan like the one on Roseanne's couch. I'm going to whip stitch them together I think. It seems like it would take less time. But it's going to take a long time regardless!

~~~~Jamye
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  3:53:12 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
My favorite way is to join-as-you-go...on the last round, where there is a chain in the pattern, substitute a slip stitch into the chain of the square it attaches to. Some patterns are written this way, or you can convert a regular pattern to it. I hate sewing squares together. My second favorite way is to crochet them together...I know whipstitching looks nicer but I can never seem to keep the seam from coming unraveled. Must not work the ends in in a complicated enough way. Have fun with your scraps!

Oh - which reminds me, my favorite way to use up scraps for an afghan is to use two strands at a time and leave fringe at the ends - no working in ends! - and change one of the two colors every row. It ends up looking kinda Impressionistic or something. Like a watercolor painting. Plus there's that whole no-ends-thing.

Lin, High Priestess of Liberal Color Usage
"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2005 :  7:28:08 PM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
Jamye, I have to laugh at Roseanne's couch's afghan. Just before her show came on, I bought the exact same couch at Montgomery Ward's and had a granny afghan I had made draped over it. I didn't even realize all of this as I had never seen her show, but anyone visiting my house would fall over laughing at my couch and afghan and I never understood why - until finally someone suggested I watch the show .

Thanks for the memory.

www.tabbico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.