Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Techniques
 Crocheting with Handspun Singles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taradactil
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  08:38:27 AM  Show Profile Send taradactil a Private Message
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with crocheting with handspun? I'm spindle spinning some really neat laceweight, and I've been contemplating a crocheted shawl made from singles. I've read that knitting with singles can cause problems, such as slanted stitches, but I've no idea if crocheting has similar problems.

Thanks everyone, and have a Merry Christmas!
Taradactil

nataleeza
Warming Up

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile Send nataleeza a Private Message
I'm definately no expert, I only learned to spin in August, but I have made a few crocheted things out of my handspun singles. I haven't found any problems except for the uneveness you'd expect from a newbie's yarn.

I did find that since some bits were thick and others were thin it was a bit lumpy, but after blocking with steam, it looked really good. I've posted a pic of some of my handspun coin purses here if you are interested: http://hookstars.blogdrive.com/archive/37.html

--
Check out what I'm up to at my blog - HookStars
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  2:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I understand that if spinning for crochet, spin S and ply Z - the opposite to the traditional way of spinning. It is something to do with how the crochet stitches are formed compared to knitted stitches. Spinning S and plying Z helps to keep the yarn from untwisting while being crocheted (- or is it overtwisted while being crocheted - whatever!).

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  3:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
What Kathy described is the same way I spin, and for the same reasons, because I knit continental!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

taradactil
Warming Up

56 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  6:19:37 PM  Show Profile Send taradactil a Private Message
Thanks everyone! I had no idea that I'd have to spin "backwards" for crochet! Nataleeza - your little purses are way too cute, thanks for sharing!

Taradactil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?