Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Hard to Find Knitting Kits
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  08:07:48 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I really wanted to get my daughter a knitting kit, of course I'd seen them in the winter, but as usual left everything to the last minute and couldn't find one anywhere.

So instead I got that book Funky Knitting, 10 balls of different wool and a couple of pairs of really natty needles, a tape measure, a pad and a pencil with her name on them and then I put them in a basket, wrapped it in clear plastic and then wrapped it up in Christmas paper.

Some of her friends came around and wanted to know where I bought it.

I remember one school fete I did about 10 different baskets like that and we charged $20 each and they were snapped up, but I think I put 3 copies of Sandra in each one and 20 balls of wool, plus needles.

She also got a heap of other presents as well, but seemed quite happy with her knitting present and said "we didn't see these in the shops, lucky you waited until you saw this one".

Happy holidays to all.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  10:03:15 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
What a lovely gift! I'm sure she will enjoy it. Has she knitted before?
Go to Top of Page

roofth
Seriously Hooked

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  2:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit roofth's Homepage  Send roofth a Yahoo! Message Send roofth a Private Message
how creative - what a great idea!!

========================
http://ruthknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  10:19:29 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message

quote:
I put 3 copies of Sandra in each one

Sounds lovely. What is Sandra?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:00:27 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Thanks for the idea. When I was at Jo Annes today I got a lovely basket 60% off, some needles, and a how to book with some nice easy patterns, I will go into my stash and pull out yarn, and the tape measure. I also got a 3 rings binder to put some free patterns in. Again many thanks for the idea.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  3:41:25 PM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
I did the same thing for my DGDs but instead of a basket I felted them a tote in their favorite colors, lined it in cotton and put one pocket in the lining big enough to hold a knitting book and another pocket on the other side to hold smaller items, then added notions such as a sheep tape measure, pretty stitch holders, and things that a new knitter would need.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3290 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  4:54:58 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Yes she has knitted before, but hasn't really had her own stuff.

Sandra is I think an English Knitting Magazine, it could be German and comes out once a month.

Sharon your idea sounds great, I wish I'd thought of that.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia

Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  5:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I did the same for my niece for Christmas. I got a round cardboard wine holder, two pair of needles, a book and some yarn and put the needles and yarn in the wine holder. I had to wrap the book separately. Anyway, she's always asking me to teach her to knit so I thought it would be good. She was not real enthusiastic. We did sit down and learn to do garter stitch before she left though.

Sticks and string didn't compete very well with her new cell phone and her digital camera!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  5:38:05 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Oh that's so unfortunate Jayme. Nothing seems to compete with electronic gadgets for kids a certain age.

I saw two gift knit packages today in a LYS for scarves. They were clear plastic (soft sided) boxes with all the "ingredients" inside and tied up with a pretty French wired bow. Very nice.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.