Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Kid Merino?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

klingklang77
Chatty Knitter

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  12:05:21 PM  Show Profile Send klingklang77 a Private Message
I got 2 skeins of crystal palace yarn kid merino. I love it and thanks to simply socks yarn company for having it. I made up a huge list of yarns that i wanted for xmas, b/c i am so short money now.

I have never worked with kid merino before. It seems so thin. I would like to make up a pair of socks but all the patterns I have seen online require more yarn than i have. Has anyone just made a regular socks with the kid merino? I was thinking I may just make a scarf with it instead.

Thanks!

Lisa

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  1:09:28 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
There is this pattern: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/KidMerino-socks1.html
but it calls for three balls. I would say, though, based on that yardage, you could squeeze out a pair of simple anklets, maybe with a picot edge, with the yarn doubled: it would be just the same as with a single ball of Koigu, which I have done.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4166 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  2:22:55 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
Thanks for the link...I'm going to try these.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

klingklang77
Chatty Knitter

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  2:23:09 PM  Show Profile Send klingklang77 a Private Message
So I would knit with 2 strands at the same time to make it thicker? What size needles? 1's?

Thanks!

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  05:36:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
I've posted this elsewhere, but just a note on CP's kid merino - it's thin. Use a VERY gentle hand with it, because if you try to force the yarn into behaving, it will snap.

Not a "out for a jog" pair of socks, but boy will they be lush and lavish!

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

AllisonV
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  06:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit AllisonV's Homepage Send AllisonV a Private Message
I have made the lace socks from the free pattern already posted here. But I modified it a bit to make for a 6 year old girl's feet. I had plenty with 2 balls. Here's another free pattern for a simple ribbed sock. You could just use one color if you don't want the sriped effect. http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/KidMerino-socks2.html
When I use the kid merino, I find that most sock patterns work- I just double the yarn and use US #1 needles. I do find that the kid merino takes a bit more attention, as it's possible to snag if you're not paying attention.
Recently, I have considered making a pair of socks using a solid black, like Jawoll or Regia and carrying along a single strand of the black kid merino so that I had more durable socks with a little bit of soft fuzz. I thought that might be interesting. It also might be nice to carry along a contrasting color of kid merino... All of a sudden I need to re think my sock knitting list...

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. -Confucius
Blog: www.simplysockyarn.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.