Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Wheels
 My Lendrum DT is here!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magnicmax
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  5:34:44 PM  Show Profile Send Magnicmax a Private Message
Santa was good and left me my Lendrum DT! I am absolutely LOVING it! My only complaint is the lack of instructions. I have the Lazy Kate and have NO CLUE what to do with it! Any websites or photos available to help w/this? I guess I should mention that this is my first wheel and have never spun on a wheel before.

I have photos on my blog of what I have spun so far. It's not too impressive since it's my first skein. I am just wondering what to make with it now???

Donna in RI
she knits, spins and blogs
http://donnaknitsandspins.tripod.com/

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2389 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  5:47:43 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Your spun yarn looks great! Much, much better than mine. I also got a Lendrum for Christmas and have never done this before. What fiber did you use? I'm having touble making both hands and feet work together on this project and I don't know how the end product should look. I think I'm too much a perfectionist and expect it to look like the yarn I've been using. How did you decide how much twist to put into it? I either don't have enough or it twists back on itself.

I think you use the Lazy Kate when you ply your yarn, but that's just a guess from someone who probably knows less than you do! Keep putting up pictures so I can compare :)

I went to Home Depot today and bought some PVC pipe to make a niddy. Now all I need is a some spun yarn to wind on it!
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  6:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Congrats!!!

Your lazy kate is just what azblueskies guessed. When you have several bobbins of yarn that you want to ply (and you don't have to fill a bobbin, just have some yarn on it) you put the bobbins on the spools on the lazy kate to hold the yarn as you feed it onto the new bobbin, plied. The tensioning will keep the bobbins from spinning too quickly. Many find that putting the kate on an angle will help the process too.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Magnicmax
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile Send Magnicmax a Private Message
Thank you for the explanation of the Lazy Kate! Plying is not in my immediate future, so I guess I will just put it away for now.

How did I decide how much twist? However fast my feet treadled, that's how much twist it got! I have no idea! I took the yarn off the bobbin and soaked it a bit in warm water. It's hanging in the shower now drying off. I don't have a niddy noddy yet. When I go out to WEBS on Thursday I will pick one up.

I don't know what kind of wool I spun with - I got it at NH Sheep and Wool back in June when I knew even less than I do now!

I am going to spin the other fiber I got - 2 oz. of Merino/Tencel. I'll post pics of that when I get done.

Oh boy, this is addicting.......

Donna in RI
Go to Top of Page

pixiepurls
Gabber Extraordinaire

373 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  10:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit pixiepurls's Homepage Send pixiepurls a Private Message
so glad you're having fun, you're first bobbin simply was beutifully spun if you ask me (not that I know much! lol).

http://www.pixiepurls.com
Go to Top of Page

Cayli1
Seriously Hooked

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  1:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cayli1's Homepage Send Cayli1 a Private Message
I wouldn't put that lazy kate away. Plying can really even out the yarn and make ho-hum singles look much better.

Cayli in San Diego

My Finshed Knitting and Spinning

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  1:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I violet, am plying impaired......
don't ask....

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2389 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  5:14:39 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I took my first attempt at spinning to my LYS today in hopes that she could pick out a spot that was done correctly so I'd know what to aim for next time. Without a word, she took me over to a rack of homespun that they sell and lo and behold! there was a duplicate of mine for $32! I was flabbergasted to say the least. She's the spinning instructor so she sat down at the Lendrum DT in the shop and showed me how to get more control over the twist, etc. So now I'm excited to spin again tonight!

Oh, what a monster my husband has created. But he's a wonderful enabler. He was picking out handpainted skeins of fiber for me to take home with me as well as another pound of the stuff I was using before. And I got the Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook plus a fantastic scrapbook organizer that sits on a spinning stand - I'm going to put my circular needles, patterns and all the other stuff I've accumulated in some of the many, many pockets and set it beside my side of the couch. Another great day for me!! :) And all he asks is that I rub his feet every once in awhile. What a guy!

P.S. Vi: Have you ever tried Navajo plying?
Go to Top of Page

Magnicmax
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  6:12:59 PM  Show Profile Send Magnicmax a Private Message
Wow - $32 for a beginner skein of homespun! I am amazed! I spun some Merino/Tencil yesterday and although I am in love with the colors, it was tough to spin (I'll take some pics and put it on the blog). I mean, it felt wonderful, but it was more difficult to draft than the first yarn I did (and don't ask what the heck I used because I don't know!). I had alot of breaks in the yarn when I was winding it up. I hope it holds ups together enough to at least make a little thin scarf out of it.

Now I am trying to figure out what to make with that first purple skein.

Sounds like you had a fun day AZblueskies! What hints did the teacher give you, if you dont' mind me asking!

Donna in RI
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  7:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by azblueskies

P.S. Vi: Have you ever tried Navajo plying?

yes darlink.....
and on a wheel I don't do so good
I did fine when I navajo plied on a hand spindle...

oye

vi
~who spun up her deep berry and purpled heathered singles into a ahm......

two ply mess tonight
but I had to .....
I needed the bobbins

I only have 4 you know...
I think we need at least......oh........ 10?
no?

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2389 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2005 :  10:26:23 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
It was more my just watching her spin, Donna. She pinched the fiber with her right hand (I was doing mine backwards before watching her) and gave it a twist to the left and then moved it toward her other hand which was drafting the yarn. It was inch by inch and she didn't pause.

I've been pulling back on the fiber too hard and not letting it just catch and pull it through to the bobbin. And my %#$#feet kept messing up and I'd find myself spinning backwards which was causing all the kinks. I had read that if you plan on knitting the fiber, you shouldn't weight it after setting the twist (while it drys) - what I had read said you only did that if you were planning on weaving it. She said I SHOULD weight it and that would help straighten the yarn while it dried.

Tonight I've just been practicing with a little fiber at a time, taking it off to look at it to see what I'm doing wrong, and then starting over. I still have way too much twist and the thickness is too uneven but I'm improving. And I'm relaxing while concentrating a little more and not fighting the wheel which was my first mistake, I think.

You have to go get some batteries, Vi, so we can see your work! Deep berry and purple...sounds yummy.
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  03:12:41 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Weighting the spun yarn too much will stretch it and it will set that way. Then when you wash the item you`ve knitted the yarn will contract...instantly smaller piece of knitting!

Your yarn shouldn`t need weighted if it`s plied correctly...it should hang in big floppy loops. If it`s snarling and twisting in the hank you`ve plied too tight or your singles were too tight or one single was considerably tighter than the other. (Singles will give a twisted skein, that`s normal.) If you must add something at the bottom just to keep it straight, use an empty coat hanger.

Setting the twist means just that...setting. It`s not a magical process for fixing major problems, only very minor ones, and to allow the yarn to bloom.

Val.

[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/26/26_9_21.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2389 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  08:12:53 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
That's what I had read, Val. (I DO remember her telling me to be careful and not stretch the yarn so maybe she was talking about a light weight.) There's no doubt I have entirely too much twist going on (and I was gonna name her Nelly cause I'm always saying "Whoa, Nelly" when I spin but maybe it should be Checkers (as in Chubby for the "twist"??).

Do you loosen the tension to get less twist or is it just that I need to make my hands go faster and my feet slower?

I AM getting better <she keeps saying>.
Go to Top of Page

pixiepurls
Gabber Extraordinaire

373 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  2:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit pixiepurls's Homepage Send pixiepurls a Private Message
nelly is sooo cute! hah

http://www.pixiepurls.com
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  4:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Plying will take a lot of the twist out. That is why, when you spin a single to be used as a single, you don't put so much twist in it. Yarn to be plied can, and needs to, have more twist put in as it is spun.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Perhaps finding a few copies of Spin Off magazine (does your local library have them or are they able to get them in for you?) will help you.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  5:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
like I told you all...
I am plying impaired
sniff
my berry and purple yarn winds back on itself...
not totally with a vengance.....but it does it

sniff
I wanted to make a scarf....
now I gotta make a felted hat

vi

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2389 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  5:41:37 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
But will it show when you knit it, Vi? Just for the fun of it, I knitted a swatch from my first try and it actually looked okay. If THAT could look okay, your's will look fabulous, darlin.....
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  5:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
it will knit ok
but will skew I think eventually
either when I wash it
or maybe just with wear....
and I don't know if that will block out

vi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe