Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Backyard Leaves from Scarf Style in alpaca
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  07:15:16 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
I've swatched Misti Alpaca worsted for Backyard Leaves. The gauge swatch worked but the pattern doesn't show well in the Alpaca. I've knit a little over two repeats and my leaves are barely visible. Am I using the wrong fiber for this scarf?

I can see from the KAL that the leaves in the pattern should have strong definition before blocking, so I think that blocking will make mine even more subtle. I loved the color that I found in the Alpaca, and wool seems to irritate my neck. Any other suggestions?

Thanks Carrie

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  08:10:27 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
All wool irritates your neck, or just scratchy wool? The yarn called for by the pattern, Karabella Aurora 8, is the smoothest, silkiest Merino wool available. It is not the least bit scratchy, and I am regularly asked if my scarf is made of cotton, even by other knitters. If you're not actually allergic to wool, just sensitive to itchy fibers, you should give it a try.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

madams716
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  11:48:27 AM  Show Profile Send madams716 a Private Message
Hi Carrie,

I haven't seen this pattern done in Alpaca, but I've seen cables done in Alapaca which don't have the definition that wool provides. If you don't think there is enough definition now, I don't think that you will be happy with the end result after blocking.

I agree with Rachel, Karabella Aurora 8 is a beautiful yarn and not scratchy at all. Do you have a LYS where you can go an fondle a skein?

Mary
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  2:30:35 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
I used Knitpicks Elegance (alpaca/silk blend) and while the stitch definition is fine, it's stretching out of shape. I should have knit it more tightly, which I realized shortly after blocking it. It still is attractive, but the pattern doesn't show up as well that way. So if you do go ahead with it, use a tighter gauge than usual.
Also, although the yarn is beautiful and soft in the hand, I can still feel the guard hairs prickle a little bit. You might tuck your swatch into your collar for a while just to be sure that it really, truly does feel better to you than a fine merino.
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  5:32:15 PM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
Thanks for your advise. I haven't decided if I should make the scarf with alpaca, but I leaning towards choosing a different yarn. I have many yarn shops within about a 30 mile range but I haven't seen Aurora 8. I may have overlooked it, we all know how much eye candy the typical yarn shop manages to pack in. Merino might be a good choice, maybe Malibrigo? I've yet to knit with it but I know that others love it and it's a worsted. Any other fiber suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
Carrie
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  5:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
You can order Aurora 8 online:

Aurora8AtString

Aurora8AtPatternworks

I've seen & touched the yarn and it is quite soft. It sells for $8.50/skein wherever I've seen it.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

mtnknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2005 :  11:07:24 PM  Show Profile Send mtnknitter a Private Message
Hi! Yarnmarket also has Aurora 8, and their shipping is very reliable. I LOVE that yarn - and it's reviewed here too. It is similar to Debbie Bliss merino - but much softer, and just as firm. I made two cabled scarves with it, and cabled hats. It's awesome! I agree, some alpaca is soft and won't have the definiton and strength needed. Andrea (Knitpicks Elegance is an alternative, but I found it also scratchy compared to the exquisite softness of Karabella, and not as "bouncy firm")
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  08:12:47 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
One Fine Yarn has Aurora 8 on sale right now for 25% off (I think it's regularly 8.50 there). I've been debating on whether to stock up....

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

cknits
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
464 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  08:28:58 AM  Show Profile Send cknits a Private Message
Thanks for the links everyone. I've looked at a few of the links. I usually don't like to order online (we had a cr. card stolen online few years ago, took a long time to clean up the mess they created, but that's another story). I was hoping to branch out and try a yarn other than the one recommended by a pattern, but this yarn sounds like it's worth trying. I've also been looking at making the Spiral Shell Capelet in Wrap Style, it calls for D. Bliss Cashmerino Aran. Would Aurora be a suitable sub? The colors at One Fine Yarn are beautiful. Very tempting, maybe I'll get brave and take the plunge into online shopping again.

Carrie
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
I used D. Bliss Cashmerino Aran for my Backyard Leaves scarf, and it worked really well--I wanted to buy the yarn in person because I was picky about the color, and my LYS doesn't carry Aurora. I think one subs for the other quite well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe