Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Sticky yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  06:48:52 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Noro Kureyon, Gjestal Naturgarn are examples of what I call "sticky" yarn. I love the way they look but have a real problem knitting with them. No matter how I hold it (tried one wrap around index finger and also over ring finger, under middle finger and over pointer) the yarn still fights me and causes pain (literally, I have tennis elbow) and I am constantly pulling the yarn rather than it flowing smoothly. Please don't tell me not to use it, my stash is quite extensive with this type of yarn. Silly me -:)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  08:10:25 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
Have you tried different kinds of needles? Some yarns work best on plastic, some on bamboo, some on metal....

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  08:12:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
It could be the needles that you are using, not the yarn. Some yarn has to be knit on metal or coated needles to "move along."

I am currently using Mission Falls 1824 cotton and I can only knit it on my old Aero needles. Knitting this yarn on bamboo or wood needles could result in a broken wrist!

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  08:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Rachel, you beat me by 2 minutes! Too much time wasted drinking coffee, LOL.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  09:38:30 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Ditto on the metal needles.

And GFTC-- Time is never wasted drinking coffee :)

Myshelle10
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  2:17:49 PM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Thanks for the advise. I only knit with bamboo. Guess I'll have to give metal a try. But....I almost hope it doesn't make a difference. I just can't imagine having to buy MORE needles -:)
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  2:18:19 PM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Thanks for the advise. I only knit with bamboo. Guess I'll have to give metal a try. But....I almost hope it doesn't make a difference. I just can't imagine having to buy MORE needles -:)
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  06:15:23 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Oh My, were you all so right. I have 1 pair of metal needles (the first needles ever I bought) so I just got them out with a bit of Kureyon and gave it a try. Flew right through the swatch! All this time, I thought it was the way I was holding the yarn. Boy do I feel dumb! The bad news is now I have to buy needles, the good news is I can now use all this wonderful yarn in my stash.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  2:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
More good news - metal needles usually are less expensive than wood and even the least expensive such as Susan Bates or Boye are just fine to work with. Watch out for the Addi straights, though. Even though the circs are great I found the straights heavy and almost unbalanced and not as slick as they should be. JMO.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  07:12:59 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
As I already own at least one pair of almost all sizes in bamboo, I decided that the best approach would be to buy interchangeables. The big decision was Denise or Needlemaster. I have read the postings on the forums and reviews seem pretty mixed. The advice from all of you was for metal on the sticky stuff but how about plastic? Just as good???
Go to Top of Page

RachelKnitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2995 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  10:50:57 AM  Show Profile Send RachelKnitter a Private Message
If your problem is sticky yarn, definitely don't buy Denise. Many people complain about the cables being too sticky, especially with the smaller sizes. I only use my set as stitch holders now.

--------
You are about to be told one more time that you are America’s most valuable natural resource. Have you seen what they do to valuable natural resources? -Utah Phillips, addressing a group of young people

Poetry reading group: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  11:10:16 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
Wow, thanks Rachel. You just saved me a costly mistake. I had ordered the Denise online and after reading your post, quickly cancelled the order. With a 50% coupon from Michael's, the Needlemaster wins.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe