Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Spinning Wheels
 Lendrum take up woes...help!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knittertoo
Warming Up

93 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  10:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittertoo's Homepage Send knittertoo a Private Message
I just got my lendrum dt for Christmas and have been playing with it (filled a whole bobbin already) but am experiencing a problem that I think is related to my tension being too high. When I begin to spin (lets say after stopping for a while or while adding new fiber) sometimes I don't have enough time to get treadling and get my hands in order before the fiber is sucked up and if I've got a hold of the fiber and existing yarn the guide on the flyer will yank off of the flyer. I certainly don't want to do any damage to my wheel...hopefully someone can help me in figuring out what I am doing wrong [**]. Thanks all in advance, so much.

Angela

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  07:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Um. If you think your tension is too high, why haven't you lightened the tension?

Yes, that's what the problem is, but since you answered it yourself I'm not sure I understand your question.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

pixiepurls
Gabber Extraordinaire

373 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit pixiepurls's Homepage Send pixiepurls a Private Message
ya know the rubber band? Well make it be lower, or less taught by just a tad, then try again, and then loosen it more if you need a tiny bit each try. It's all about the tension and how high that rubber band is stretched. Make it shorter!

http://www.pixiepurls.com
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2378 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:14:11 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I think the same thing happened to me but it was just a matter of loosening the tension, like Rose says. I'd like to find a picture of what the yarn should look like when you pull some back off the bobbin. Is it supposed to twirl around itself some? just lay flat? If you don't get enough twist it pulls apart/breaks but if you get too much twist you get curly q's. Since I've never seen handspun just off the bobbin, I'm not sure what to aim for.
Go to Top of Page

pixiepurls
Gabber Extraordinaire

373 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit pixiepurls's Homepage Send pixiepurls a Private Message
oh also you know you can HOLD the yarn and not let it be sucked up right? If its really hard to hold it to stay, then yeah it's to high and the rubber band is to tall and taught, but you should be able to HOLD the twisted yarn while you draft the next pieces. If it's twisting to much while you are holding it, don't peddle so fast :)

http://www.pixiepurls.com
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  12:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Pixie has mentioned the most important test of brake tension - you should be able to hold the yarn out without your arm being pulled off by the wheel - otherwise, the brake's too tight.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

knittertoo
Warming Up

93 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  2:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit knittertoo's Homepage Send knittertoo a Private Message
Thanks for the ideas - I guess I really just wanted to make sure that I was correct in assuming that the tension was the problem. I'll try loosening up a bit and see how that works. Thanks again!

Angela
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?