Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Jaywalkers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  11:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
not really a problem with the pattern or technique or anything (I'm doing two at a time on ML, so had to re-translate the heel a bit), but just venting. I CO 68sts/sock, which is my normal CO for that size yarn and needle, tried it on occasionally as I was working, and got about an inch and a half into the pattern, went to try it on, and couldn't get it over my foot! *sigh* Frogging now, going to re-cast on size 1's and more sts...the pattern was just starting to really show, too! Oh well, you live and learn, I suppose.

As an afterthought, anyone else casting on for these and want to do a mini-KAL?

You know, my telepathy would work if I had something to READ!
Backstage Stitches

Zari
Chatty Knitter

133 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2005 :  11:40:49 PM  Show Profile Send Zari a Private Message
Actually, I recently cast on for these, though I've only got the cuff and about 1" done so far. I'd love to do a mini KAL, though :)
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  01:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
great! I'm going to re-cast tomorrow probably (I was too tired and frustrated tonight) and work on them off and on throughout the next couple weeks. My goal is to have them done by Feb. 1, but I have a show that starts tech next week, so that might be a bit fanciful. They're going to be my carry-around project for the next several weeks, I think. I will keep you updated if you keep me updated on yours!

Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4388 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  04:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I'm in the Jaywalker knitalong that's going on over at January One. You'll find lots of help there, especially in the December 2nd update. I've "upsized" mine by using size 1.5 needles, and it's working so far. There's no lateral stretch in this pattern because of the angle of the chevrons, so it's not the stretchy sock you're probably used to unless you luse larger needles. If you go too large, you'll just end up with a saggy sock!

Good luck with yours -- I'm heading for the toe on my first one, and I hope to cast on for the second in a few days.

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  11:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
Did you CO the same number of stitches for the bigger needles? I was using my beloved size 2's, with the 68sts. Maybe if I do the smaller size (the 76st) on the size 2's it will work out. I'll have to try it, and look around at that KAL, thanks for the link and I can't wait to see your socks!

Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page

AllisonV
Chatty Knitter

246 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2005 :  5:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit AllisonV's Homepage Send AllisonV a Private Message
I am completely in love with this pattern b/c of how easily it knits up and how lover-ly it makes handpainted yarn look. I have made two pair so far- well, I have started two pair and haven't yet finished either- but I'm really close. Really.
I understand your frustration- I'm making mine for someone with a, uh, daintier foot than mine (which are wide and size 11) and I would be frustrated if I just saw the pattern developing and had to frog it. I was worried at first that the cast on number would be too much, but then realized that the diagonal of the pattern would account for the high number of CO stitches.
I have pics at my blog, in two of Fleece Artist's handpainted yarns, if you want to take a look (you'll have to scroll down as they are in two posts from earlier in the week and last week). I'm really pleased with the results.

Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. -Confucius
Blog: www.simplysockyarn.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.