Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 New Rules (with apologies to Bill Maher)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  09:59:04 AM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
Yarn bands should include WRITTEN care instructions instead of all those silly symbols that no one really know the meaning of. If silly symbols must be used, the LYS should stick the deciphering key in the bag with our purchase.
Go to Top of Page

shaggy
Permanent Resident

USA
4126 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:14:19 AM  Show Profile Send shaggy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Diva Ree

Yarn bands should include WRITTEN care instructions instead of all those silly symbols that no one really know the meaning of. If silly symbols must be used, the LYS should stick the deciphering key in the bag with our purchase.

along with a magnifying glass

shaggy

Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
I would love regs about
* what has to be on a ball band
* the ends of yarn being findable
* knots! I am only about 25 yards thru a skein and have found 4 so far [**]
* I would love spiral bound books (sorry bookshop employees and librarians)
* I would love clearly marked needles, how about on the tops so if they are in a case I can just look down and not have to pull them out or twist them around to find the size...
*if patterns (particularlly ones we pay for and those in books and mags) came with both written out instructions and charts, for those of us who need/like both

*new blog* http://www.samanthainstitches.blogspot.com/

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

gulf knitter
Seriously Hooked

USA
737 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit gulf knitter's Homepage Send gulf knitter a Private Message
How about price tag stickers which come off with out leaving a gluey residue?
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  1:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
I'm all for the following rule:

If one is going to publish a book of knitting patterns, do NOT get all artsey with the photography and think that blurring over half of the image is a "cool effect". It is ENTIRELY unhelpful and I refuse to buy any such pattern books. (See "Scarf Style" as a heavy offender.)

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  1:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Amen, Kim, I won't give anyone money for Scarf Style for the same reason!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Knit and Purl Grrl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  2:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit and Purl Grrl's Homepage Send Knit and Purl Grrl a Private Message
GFTC-
LOVE the list. I like your sense of humor!

Lain
Knit & Purl Grrl
visit me at http://knitandpurlgrrl.blogs.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Thank you, Lain. I appreciate your comment.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Schleppenheimer
Seriously Hooked

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  3:18:17 PM  Show Profile Send Schleppenheimer a Private Message
Amanda, you kill me . . .

And Trish, I SO agree with you about "anytime a stranger in the yarn aisle of the local craft store or LYS makes a snotty remark about the quality of yarn chosen by the knitter in question" . . .This one really gets up my nose!

But what I would really, truly like, if only it were possible --

To have each and every pattern book that I love to look at and long to make a pattern from have some kind of insignia, or even a voice that emits from the book itself, that tells me (when I am thinking of making said pattern). . .

"Are you kidding? Your skills are not up to doing me, don't even think about it!"

Of course, this is whenever attempting said pattern would be dangerous to my mental health.

[Disclaimer -- I love trying new patterns and think myself capable of learning even the most difficult of patterns, I just think this would be funny]

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  3:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Schleppenheimer

Amanda, you kill me . . .

The last time I heard this it was followed by, "I think I'm in love with you," and it was said by a guy I'd known for about 4 hours while we were sitting in a resturant with 9 people (total) representing 5 different countries (while we were in a 6th!). I had just sung, "Who keeps the metric system down? We do, we do!"

Ahhhh, memories.

quote:

But what I would really, truly like, if only it were possible --

To have each and every pattern book that I love to look at and long to make a pattern from have some kind of insignia, or even a voice that emits from the book itself, that tells me (when I am thinking of making said pattern). . .

"Are you kidding? Your skills are not up to doing me, don't even think about it!"

How about another voice that says, "Who are you kidding? This would make you look like a Mack truck," or "Oh, but not in that color, darling...."

That would be nice, too.

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  6:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
*findable yarn ends
Thank you eggshel!
I'm tired of yarn guts all over the place.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

calmmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

533 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  12:56:45 PM  Show Profile Send calmmom a Private Message
Always an interesting and intelligent discussion when GFTC starts a thread...and even if Barbara Walker did not "invent" the stitch, if designers would give credit to their source, it can be very helpful to the user.

I was completely confused by a cable pattern once but since the author mentioned which BW Treasury she found it in, I was able to run to the library and figure out the pattern without troubling the designer.

And having the ability to contact the designer is wonderful! I've used when I've had a question about the instructions, and simply to thank the designer for such a pleasurable experience. I always recommend these designers because I know they will interact with their end-user.
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  3:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by calmmom

Always an interesting and intelligent discussion when GFTC starts a thread...and even if Barbara Walker did not "invent" the stitch, if designers would give credit to their source, it can be very helpful to the user.

I think the point is though that even if a stitch pattern happens to be in a BW book, one shouldn't assume that the designer got the stitch pattern from her book.. They may have seen it elsewhere or knew it for themselves.

By the way.. does anyone know if "Wrap Style" does the blurry picture thing too? I've been curious about that : )

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  3:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I have one request, rule, decree.....no more knit bikinis!!!! Maybe it is my cellulite talking here but come on! Oh and no knit gaucho pants. I saw some in Knit One a while back and they have become a real sore spot for me. Perhaps it is because I was a child in the 70s and most my childhoos pictures are filled with scary little outfits but please knit gauchos.......**sigh**

Thank you for listening.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  3:38:18 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
About photos...I really hate when the models have their shoulders hunched up or their arms crossed so I can't see the details of the garment. Makes you wonder what they're trying to hide....[**]

~Rena~
www.music2knit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

abcameo
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  9:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit abcameo's Homepage Send abcameo a Private Message
I'd like to add another rule. No book may be published unless it features BOTH Written (and not halfway and then put in a chart--but full written instructions) and Charted instructions for every pattern so knitters can follow whichever one they prefer.

Anyone with me on this? I just hate charts--I can barely decipher them and end up having to rewrite it all in a spreadsheet anyway.
Amy
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message
All those cute tops to be sized up for those of us ladies who do not fall into the 30-38 bust size...

And more top down stuff!

Tammy
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  10:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
I too found scarf style to be frustrating- how can I decide if I want to knit it if I can't see the details? I think Wrap Style is alot better, the pics are much more clear. I think that every yarn shop should be required to have lots of natural light- so that I can see the true color of a yarn- I don't like guessing what color the yarn is, only to be let down when out of terrible lighting. Also- a true junkie here- why not have it required to have a coffee place next door? They'd both benefit!

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aria
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  11:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aria's Homepage Send Aria a Private Message
And with the spiral bound books - they must be GOOD spiral bound books - none of these crazy ones that disintegrate faster than normal... (I have a quilt book that I can barely look through because the spiral binding will not allow for the easy turn of pages... and you don't want to see what my spiral bound music theory textbooks and workbooks from undergrad look like)

and how about all yarn having labels as to weight - us beginning knitters can't always tell the difference between a light weight worsted and a dk/sport weight just by looking or feeling! (and we don't have gauges memorized either, lol!)

Aria

www.craftyaria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dancingbarefoot
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  03:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit dancingbarefoot's Homepage Send dancingbarefoot a Private Message
quote:
What a nightmare that would be for bookstores. We hate books that don't have spines, because nobody ever buys them. No one takes the time to pull the book without a printed spine off of the shelf to see what the title is. And you, dear customer, may think you want that, but believe you me, instead what will happen is a huge drop in knitting book sales, and a resultant drop in knitting book publishing, and well, nobody wants that, do they???

I rarely buy a knitting book that isn't spiral-bound, because regular bindings are so hard to work with when you're knitting. The knitting book industry thus loses a LOT of potential sales from customers like me.

Plus, I don't know any knitter who doesn't pull the books off the shelves anyway. We need to leaf through the book to see what's in it, right?

How about a hard cover with spiral binding inside, like Nancie Wiseman's "The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques" has? It's sturdy *and* stays open without two bricks. Perfect!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?