Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 New Rules (with apologies to Bill Maher)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  06:00:18 AM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
May I add:

Despite the new EU uniform weights and measures rules, all skeins should be at least 120 yards. No one should have to buy two skeins of yarn to make a hat.

Also, there should be a rule against repackaging patterns. Oh wait that's what copyright laws are for. But still people do it all the time. So very, very annoying.

Finally, there should be a rule against simple patterns for sale. When I started knitting I paid money for a pattern over the internet, which ended up being a stockinette rectangle. Hey, I could not tell from the picture. And, I see this all the time - super simple patterns for sale. Luckily now I know better.
Go to Top of Page

sydo
Chatty Knitter

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  07:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Send sydo a Yahoo! Message Send sydo a Private Message
I second Abcameo concerning those price stickers. And how about those that don't come off without removing part of the ball band too, exactly at a vital spot. There should be a rule that makes LYS owners and retailers in general place the price sticker on blank areas of the ball band.

And a second vote for the rule that requires diagrams with measurements as well as written instructions. Noro pattern books, so lovely in so many ways, drive me nuts because they are all missing diagrams for those lovely sweaters. It is like flying blind.

Great topic!

Sydo
Go to Top of Page

SoCalKnitter
New Pal

Ireland
31 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  08:19:35 AM  Show Profile Send SoCalKnitter a Private Message
I agree with the uniformity suggestions. How about taking it one step further and having some sort of uniformity chart system so yarn substitution would be a snap instead of a terrifying risk (for a new knitter like me). Of course, this would probably discourage yarn companies from producing patterns or free patterns, but sometimes you just don't have the yarn at your LYS or the yarn has been discontinued, yet the pattern is something you really want to do.

--SoCalKnitter
"It is easy to say how we love new friends, and what we think of them, but words can never trace out all the fibers that knit us to the old." George Eliot
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaS
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  08:40:06 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaS a Private Message
I'd like to see pattern formats standardized. For example, I am finding myself increasingly comfortable and wanting more elsewhere of the way Knitter's does its patterns, which is also the format Sally Melville uses in her Knit Stitch and The Purl Stitch books. There's a photo, schematic of the finished pieces, charts for stitches, and other standardized features. To my mind, whatever is chosen as a standard format wouldn't have to match this, but this one works for me now that I'm quite used to it.

Then too I'd like to see legends for stitch pattern charts standardized. I don't see any reason why each designer should have to / get to develop keys and their knitters have to commit a new key to memory with each new knitted garment. Let's just have one, shall we? And if there's some new-fangled stitch thingy someone wants to do, THEN they get to design a key for it.

I also agree wholeheartedly that every pattern (and this should be part of the standardization) should include gauge for the yarn in regular ole stockinette so we can more easily substitute yarns.

And speaking of gauges, none of this "15-1/2 stitches = 3-1/2 inches" either. I've seen that type of treatment for both st st and pattern (with no st st gauge given). I made this one up, but I've seen some horrifying and simply unusable gauges not too different from that, or gauges that might take considerable trial-and-error, possibly even if you had the yarn specified.

Yes, yes, yes on most of the other suggestions as well.

-----------------------
Is there anything more important than knitting?
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  08:41:43 AM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
I'd like to see the actual reference to Barbara Walker's book given instead of or in additional to the pattern directions (e.g., "see Barbara Walker's Second Treasury, Tilting Blocks Pattern, p. 56"). Than I know I can find the pattern printed without mistakes!

I'd like to have the four Treasuries reprinted with those interior spiral bindings. My books are all in several different pieces. Those bindings are a TERRIFIC idea, but they'd probably add a dollar or so to the price of each book.

Make all the info on the yarn label a little bigger and easier to read--don't hide it away so you have to remove the label to see it; also, don't print the yardage on one part of the label and the gauge info on another--put it all together so it doesn't take ten minutes to find all the info you need. Some of us are middle-aged.

Key info is fiber content, yardage, and gauge/needle size. Put all that together in one place, in readable type.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

PatriciaS
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  10:24:12 AM  Show Profile Send PatriciaS a Private Message
I've got another one, and this "jusitifiable homicide" thread reminded me:

http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49034

It is this: That each ball or skein come with a woven fabric care label that can be sewn into knitted garments so recipients can know how to care for the item. Or even me -- there are some wide-ranging care instructions out there. It's not always easy to remember.

-----------------------
Is there anything more important than knitting?
Go to Top of Page

ceecee
Permanent Resident

1896 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  11:32:00 AM  Show Profile Send ceecee a Private Message
Great topic, GFTC, and some great suggestions too from everybody! Now if only the yarn manufacturers, publishers, designers etc. will listen to the end users. If the bottom line is cost, then maybe we won't see many changes. However if companies adopt changes for the better, maybe they'll see our buying preferences shift towards them. Judging from the KR forums, many of us have inclinations towards certain yarns, needles, designers, magazines and books, based not only on materials and appeal, but also on how yarns are packaged, needle warranties, how pattern instructions are written and supported and plain ease of use of all of the above.
Go to Top of Page

Ingleterra
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  12:48:10 PM  Show Profile Send Ingleterra a Private Message
I agree with PatriciaS about the woven fabric care label! I actually ended up having some made, but now I have a million labels and I'll never use them all. How much nicer to be able to buy them as you need them!
Go to Top of Page

susannahk3
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  2:49:56 PM  Show Profile Send susannahk3 a Private Message
Did you all know you can take your paper bound books to Kinkos, or a similar style print/office shop, and for a few dollars they will turn it into a spiral bound book? You can even choose between a metal spiral or the plastic. It doesn't require too much of an inside margin, but ask to make sure there is indeed enough.

Susannah
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  3:23:14 PM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
I'd like to see circular needles that don't come apart as soon as you pull them out of the package. That's happened to me twice. They were brand new, I'd just brought them home. I keep nail glue on hand now, for just such emergencies.

And how about stamping the needle size on the metal part of circular needles? Or burning the size into the wooden part. Something that's longer lasting than the paint or ink that rubs off the wooden part.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

gcelee
New Pal

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  11:55:42 PM  Show Profile Send gcelee a Private Message
I agree with the majority of the requests already listed. I'd also like to add a few more - first, more publishers need to provide directions for flat knitting and for circular knitting. And I second the request for patterns to come in a wider variety of sizes. Having some "real size" models in knitting magazines would also be helpful. Lastly, these models should be shown in simple poses so we can clearly see the garment we're interested in. Nothing will cause my to lose interest in a project faster than the project on a model shown in a contorted pose. It always strikes me that the magazine/book is trying to hide someting about the project design/outcome.
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  12:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
I'm all for a larger variety in sizes.. but I must express that not only are bigger sizes needed.. but also smaller sizes... I have to be very careful of the patterns I choose because usually the smallest size isn't small enough for the minuteness of me. This is a main reason I knit because I can't usually buy clothes that fit me, so I can choose to knit what fits me and it works out great.. (usually.)

So not just bigger sizes, but also smaller.. a wide variety : )

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

Moorit
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  1:26:21 PM  Show Profile Send Moorit a Private Message
How about some sort of uniformity in yarn sizes? DK (which might be sport, but maybe not), worsted (which might be Aran--again, maybe not.), fingering (which could also be laceweight or sockweight or just shy of DK), and bulky, which is pretty self-explanatory. And now there's "polar weight" Is it fat or fluffy like a polar bear? White only? Does it stalk the frozen fish in your freezer? "Super Bulky"--somewhere between "regular" bulky and a ship's hawser? 1 st.=3.5"? What?!!?? I sometimes get the impression that weight designations are invented on the spur of the moment: "Um...boss? Problem. The last batch of worsted we ran came out a little heavier than it should." "Well, heck! Let's just call it our brand new, patented "FANDANGO WEIGHT" yarn. Knitters just love new yarns!"

Moorit
Go to Top of Page

renee_knits
Seriously Hooked

702 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  1:33:27 PM  Show Profile Send renee_knits a Private Message
For those who are frustrated by the disappearance of needle size information from their circulars...

http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool_more.asp?article=/review/product/051013_a.asp

Knitting IS real life!
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  1:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Web site owners/managers/controllers should put color descriptions under the pictures, not just the name. What the heck is "sour"? On one monitor it looks green, another it looks yellow, a third it looks almost white.

A yarn should not be classified in a gauge that would be indecent. I hate seeing Mohair classified as bulky because it has fluff. If a sweater made in that to "bulky" gauge would get me arrested, it ain't bulky. Halo doesn't count.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

invinciblegirl
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  4:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit invinciblegirl's Homepage Send invinciblegirl a Private Message
Oh man, I am in TOTAL agreement with charts and written instructions on all patterns.

I mean, I would be fine with only having charts (I can not believe there was once a time in my life where I thought written patterns were easier - it's like trying to read spaghetti now to me), but I know some people love written instructions.

Ooh, also? If you could have the patterns printed on easily-detachable (like perforated separations like they have in school notebooks) papers, so you could actually tear them out of your books if you wanted and organize them in your own 3-ring holders or binders or whatever.

I hate having to flip through a bajillion magazines to find this one pattern I remember. If they were written on sturdier paper, and I could easily detach it, it would make setting up my own organization/filing system for patterns so much easier.
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  5:22:56 PM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
I love these suggestions so far! I'm especially wary of models wearing vests/sleeveless sweaters and their arms are clamped at their sides. With my Sweater Wizard I can usually recreate them but I shouldn't have to.

One last possibility: designers should only be allowed to use yarn that is relatively attainable. I admit, I'm speaking mainly of La Lana Wools yarns here. There was a totally beautiful Valentina Devine cardigan in a recent INK mag. Can I find the yarn anywhere? Can my LYS get it for me? Was I able to Google it? A resounding NO to all these questions. I'm not sure of the details (this was before Christmas!) but even their website didn't have any info on this yarn. But really, sometimes I just can't afford the yarn and that's when some standardized yarn sizes would really be helpful.

Melanie
w/ one FO, 7 WIPs to go in 2006!

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  5:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by invinciblegirl
I hate having to flip through a bajillion magazines to find this one pattern I remember. If they were written on sturdier paper, and I could easily detach it, it would make setting up my own organization/filing system for patterns so much easier.

You can remove the pattern from the magazine with a box cutter along the edge and then either run it through a copy machine onto coverstock paper and file it or put it in a page protector and a three ring binder.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

Diva Ree
Gabber Extraordinaire

537 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  7:50:52 PM  Show Profile Send Diva Ree a Private Message
I decree: All patterns to be printed fully on one page, or on consecutive pages if necessary. When the pattern starts on pg. 41 with the stitch pattern and part of the instructions, and continues on pg. 128...you have to keep flipping your book back and forth. I travel with my knitting, so I don't always have a good bookmarker or copier with me!

I also decree: Gauge should be determined by more than one person. LOL Best 2 out of 3? There are times where going up or down a needle size produces gauge, but the fabric it produces is WAY too tight, or WAY too open. Then there are the times where you get gauge with different needles than required, so you end up buying too much or too little yarn for the pattern.

I further decree: Manufacurers should be required to flag balls with knots! I can hang with a knot, I understand it happens. I can't hang with balls that have 4...and you have no advance warning so you can place them accordingly. If a ball has 4 flags on it, we should have the right to buy it or not...or at least expect a discount on it!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  6:17:58 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Web site owners/managers/controllers should put color descriptions under the pictures, not just the name. What the heck is "sour"? On one monitor it looks green, another it looks yellow, a third it looks almost white.

Oh yeah! I heartily agree. I was looking at some Jaeger yarn online and the color was Cardoon. It's a dark color and I could not tell for the life of me what it was. Turns out it's a grayish purple. I emailed the seller and asked for a color description and they kindly responded, then went back to the website and added a description.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth