Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Seeking Patterns / Free Pattern Links
 Men's Sweaters
 Need basic sweater pattern for xxl male
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kskferg@zoomtown.com
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile Send kskferg@zoomtown.com a Private Message
I bought my husband some beautiful Malabrigo yarn for Christmas and promised him a sweater. Now that Christmas is over and I have time to devote to knitting the sweater, I'm having trouble finding a pattern in his size. His chest measures at 56 inches, so I'll need a finished sweater at about 60"(all the time in the gym is paying off, lucky me!). I'm not afraid of coming up with my own pattern, I'd just like a little help on where to turn. I need help on how many stitches to decrease at the arm holes, how many to increase and when on the sleeves, etc. If anyone has any suggestions or patterns that are larger than usual I would appreciate it.

A.J.
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  4:34:06 PM  Show Profile Send A.J. a Private Message
There is a free pattern available from lionbrand.com called "Adult and Child Knit Raglan Pullover" that can be made to fit children through adult sizes 3X (61" finished chest size, according to the pattern). It is written for chunky yarn, though, at 11 sts. and 16 rows to 4". I knitted one for my husband this Christmas, using worsted weight doubled. I don't know if that would help, but, hey, it's free, and you might get some indication from the instructions on decreases, lengths, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Punctuatedknitter
Seriously Hooked

819 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  10:12:52 PM  Show Profile Send Punctuatedknitter a Private Message
I'd recommend getting Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns. It lets you pick a gauge and chest size, and gives you just the basics you need--armholes, necklines, etc. It goes 26"-54", but it would be very easy to extrapolate to larger sizes. I use it all the time to help me size down or change sleeve styles on commerical patterns for myself.

There's also the custom-fit raglan at:
www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html
I'm doing my husband's first sweater using this pattern, because it's top-down, and so I can try it on him as I go. This will go as large as you need, because you use body measurements, and mostly you just measure the person's neck and go at it.
Go to Top of Page

AgnesB
Permanent Resident

USA
1152 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  12:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit AgnesB's Homepage Send AgnesB a Private Message
Ann Budd's sweater book is a good one. But if you don't want to buy the book, you can try the pattern generators on this page. You can stroll down the page and find "Raglan Pullover" or "Sweaters and Vests".

[img]http://photos3.flickr.com/6944418_c76df65d6c_m.jpg[/img]
Knitting in the Valley My Kitty Album
Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
-Flavius Josephus
Go to Top of Page

kskferg@zoomtown.com
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  06:39:55 AM  Show Profile Send kskferg@zoomtown.com a Private Message
Thanks for the help. I'm fairly new to this forum, so I didn't realize there was a pattern generator. I'll check out all the suggestions!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe