Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 HELP!! Knitter's Elbow?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  1:58:26 PM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
Has anyone ever suffered from this? Please don't tell me to stop knitting for awhile.

Rhonda

jamknit
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile Send jamknit a Private Message
I have had knitter's wrist, and the only thing that helped was to stop knitting...it was torture. Before I tried a repreive from knitting, I tried everything else; those wrist support doo-dads, massage, ice, stretching. These helped for a while, but the pain always came back, so I made myself take 1 month off (a whole month-gasp)! The good news is that I learned how to spin during my month off (must use different muscles), and after the hiatus, the pain has never returned.

I've never had elbow pain, but my MIL has had knitter's elbow for some time.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

jamknit
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile Send jamknit a Private Message
I have had knitter's wrist, and the only thing that helped was to stop knitting...it was torture. Before I tried a repreive from knitting, I tried everything else; those wrist support doo-dads, massage, ice, stretching. These helped for a while, but the pain always came back, so I made myself take 1 month off (a whole month-gasp)! The good news is that I learned how to spin during my month off (must use different muscles), and after the hiatus, the pain has never returned.

I've never had elbow pain, but my MIL has had knitter's elbow for some time.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  11:08:29 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I suspect that what you have is called tennis elbow.....LOL....at least that is how they refer to it in medical circles. I have 3 suggestions for you.

1. Get a tennis elbow support at your local pharmacy. The best one is a little air filled cushion held on with a strap.

2. Learn to knit continentally or by levering. Throwing your yarn makes you have too much arm movement.

3. Switch to circular needles even if you only knit back and forth and never in a circle. They take the weight off of your arms and let it rest in your lap.

Let us know how you are doing.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  11:08:29 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I suspect that what you have is called tennis elbow.....LOL....at least that is how they refer to it in medical circles. I have 3 suggestions for you.

1. Get a tennis elbow support at your local pharmacy. The best one is a little air filled cushion held on with a strap.

2. Learn to knit continentally or by levering. Throwing your yarn makes you have too much arm movement.

3. Switch to circular needles even if you only knit back and forth and never in a circle. They take the weight off of your arms and let it rest in your lap.

Let us know how you are doing.

fran

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  07:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
Thanks for the help, guys.

Fran, I think you are right--the doc would call it tennis elbow. I am going tonight to get the support. Actually, it is my left arm (I throw with my right) but there must be something in the way I am holding on to the left needle. I hear you about using circs. Thanks again for tips.

Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  07:40:16 AM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
Thanks for the help, guys.

Fran, I think you are right--the doc would call it tennis elbow. I am going tonight to get the support. Actually, it is my left arm (I throw with my right) but there must be something in the way I am holding on to the left needle. I hear you about using circs. Thanks again for tips.

Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

nplumcreek@msn.com
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile Send nplumcreek@msn.com a Private Message
Actually, I am just recovering from both tennis elbow and carpul tunnel in my wrists. I work in a library so it was difficult to rest those muscles. I had used all of the braces suggested and while it helped with the pain somewhat, it did nothing to eliminate the problem for me. Pain began in late fall and continued until 3 weeks ago when I finally received a cordisone shot in the elbow. So far, so good. I had cut my knitting time down to less than 1/2 hour per night and had quit knitting entirely the two weeks prior to the shot. Fortunately, within a few days after the shot, my pain was all but gone. I am still rebuilding strength but my recovery has been marvelous. I am knitting about an hour a night now. I was so worried that the dr. would suggest that I stop knitting! Though I have been knitting for only two years, the thought of not being able to knit was totally depressing. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

nplumcreek@msn.com
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile Send nplumcreek@msn.com a Private Message
Actually, I am just recovering from both tennis elbow and carpul tunnel in my wrists. I work in a library so it was difficult to rest those muscles. I had used all of the braces suggested and while it helped with the pain somewhat, it did nothing to eliminate the problem for me. Pain began in late fall and continued until 3 weeks ago when I finally received a cordisone shot in the elbow. So far, so good. I had cut my knitting time down to less than 1/2 hour per night and had quit knitting entirely the two weeks prior to the shot. Fortunately, within a few days after the shot, my pain was all but gone. I am still rebuilding strength but my recovery has been marvelous. I am knitting about an hour a night now. I was so worried that the dr. would suggest that I stop knitting! Though I have been knitting for only two years, the thought of not being able to knit was totally depressing. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

nplumcreek@msn.com
New Pal

9 Posts

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  10:24:20 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
try proping your arms up on pillows so that you do not have to hold the weight of the arm at a right angle.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

try proping your arms up on pillows so that you do not have to hold the weight of the arm at a right angle.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

fran

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  11:32:09 AM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
I bought the support with the little cushion on it. Wore it last night while I was knitting. It made a huge difference. Thanks for the tip!

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  11:32:09 AM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
I bought the support with the little cushion on it. Wore it last night while I was knitting. It made a huge difference. Thanks for the tip!

Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  08:45:12 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Also, take a break now and then and stretch the affected arm out straight. Now, bend your wrist and gently turn your hand to face in different directions. This will keep the tendons warm and supple.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  08:45:12 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
Also, take a break now and then and stretch the affected arm out straight. Now, bend your wrist and gently turn your hand to face in different directions. This will keep the tendons warm and supple.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

dbtf93
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  6:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit dbtf93's Homepage Send dbtf93 a Private Message
What about knitter's shoulder? I have been putting a lot of time in on a project and my right shoulder hurts at the joint.

Danielle

http://dknitty.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

dbtf93
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  6:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit dbtf93's Homepage Send dbtf93 a Private Message
What about knitter's shoulder? I have been putting a lot of time in on a project and my right shoulder hurts at the joint.

Danielle

Go to Top of Page

dbtf93
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Danielle

Go to Top of Page

QuiltGirl1974
Chatty Knitter

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  05:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit QuiltGirl1974's Homepage Send QuiltGirl1974 a Private Message
I arrange the couch cushions around both of my arms so I don't have to carry the weight of my project in my joints. Plus, it elevates my hands just enough so I need only the barest of motions to move both the yarn and the needles.

To knit is to commune with the ages.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.