Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 HELP!! Knitter's Elbow?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

QuiltGirl1974
Chatty Knitter

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  05:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit QuiltGirl1974's Homepage Send QuiltGirl1974 a Private Message
I arrange the couch cushions around both of my arms so I don't have to carry the weight of my project in my joints. Plus, it elevates my hands just enough so I need only the barest of motions to move both the yarn and the needles.

To knit is to commune with the ages.
Go to Top of Page

QuiltGirl1974
Chatty Knitter

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2003 :  05:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit QuiltGirl1974's Homepage Send QuiltGirl1974 a Private Message
I arrange the couch cushions around both of my arms so I don't have to carry the weight of my project in my joints. Plus, it elevates my hands just enough so I need only the barest of motions to move both the yarn and the needles.

Go to Top of Page

QuiltGirl1974
Chatty Knitter

Canada
103 Posts

Go to Top of Page

QuiltGirl1974
Chatty Knitter

Canada
103 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Tamara
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  2:25:44 PM  Show Profile Send Tamara a Private Message
Right now I have my right arm in a sling because of tendonitis...the DR. told me that "tennis elbow" is the outer side of your arm and "golfer's elbow" (or in my case kniteer's elbow)is on the inner side of your arm. I have to wear the sling for a week and take massive doses of ibuprophen and also take prednisone!...then we will see...she said if I am not good about resting my arm...it's on to the cortisone shots!...and then I might have to give up knitting for good I am just going to get my knitting fix through the forum for now and see what happens. wish me luck and happy knitting to all of you!
Tamara

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

Tamara
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Right now I have my right arm in a sling because of tendonitis...the DR. told me that "tennis elbow" is the outer side of your arm and "golfer's elbow" (or in my case kniteer's elbow)is on the inner side of your arm. I have to wear the sling for a week and take massive doses of ibuprophen and also take prednisone!...then we will see...she said if I am not good about resting my arm...it's on to the cortisone shots!...and then I might have to give up knitting for good I am just going to get my knitting fix through the forum for now and see what happens. wish me luck and happy knitting to all of you!
Tamara

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

Tamara
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Tamara

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  11:13:30 AM  Show Profile Send rkc a Private Message
Doh! Maybe I have golfer's elbow instead of tennis elbow. Where exactly do you have pain?

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Doh! Maybe I have golfer's elbow instead of tennis elbow. Where exactly do you have pain?

Go to Top of Page

rkc
Chatty Knitter

USA
158 Posts

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
YES. I have trouble with my shoulders, my elbow, sometimes my hands, depending on which part I am using more to favor the other parts! LOL I have one of those braces, and it really helps, both with the current pain, and in preventing it beforehand. Also, the idea of propping your left arm on a pillow, or both on a pillow, is really good. Sometimes I lay a small pillow on top of my knitting bag, which is lying on its side, and support my arm that way. Lately, I have been much more free of the pains. Barb

P.S. In somebody's book, I read an idea about putting a small pillow under your armpit while knitting. They said the "other" arm, but I switch it between arms. It's weird, but it seems to take the pressure off.
"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
YES. I have trouble with my shoulders, my elbow, sometimes my hands, depending on which part I am using more to favor the other parts! LOL I have one of those braces, and it really helps, both with the current pain, and in preventing it beforehand. Also, the idea of propping your left arm on a pillow, or both on a pillow, is really good. Sometimes I lay a small pillow on top of my knitting bag, which is lying on its side, and support my arm that way. Lately, I have been much more free of the pains. Barb

P.S. In somebody's book, I read an idea about putting a small pillow under your armpit while knitting. They said the "other" arm, but I switch it between arms. It's weird, but it seems to take the pressure off.
"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

techline
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:28:12 PM  Show Profile Send techline a Private Message
I too am a knitting addict. I also suffered with elbow pain and wrist and shoulder pain that radiated from my right elbow. After a year of discomfort, I finally had surgery on both sides of my elbow. I was unable to knit for 4 months because i didn't heal well and then it had to be done again. I have finally started knitting again and it is still sore but it is also healing. It does not hurt as much as it did before. I tried the shots before surgery, but nothing worked. I am now knitting again with some discomfort but it is worth it for my sanity. I thought I was going to go crazy during my "no knitting" recovery. If anyone wants to know about the surgery just write back and i will be happy to tell you.

Carol K. Osteen
Go to Top of Page

techline
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:28:12 PM  Show Profile Send techline a Private Message
I too am a knitting addict. I also suffered with elbow pain and wrist and shoulder pain that radiated from my right elbow. After a year of discomfort, I finally had surgery on both sides of my elbow. I was unable to knit for 4 months because i didn't heal well and then it had to be done again. I have finally started knitting again and it is still sore but it is also healing. It does not hurt as much as it did before. I tried the shots before surgery, but nothing worked. I am now knitting again with some discomfort but it is worth it for my sanity. I thought I was going to go crazy during my "no knitting" recovery. If anyone wants to know about the surgery just write back and i will be happy to tell you.

Carol K. Osteen
Go to Top of Page

lbbuckli@indiana.edu
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:36:15 PM  Show Profile Send lbbuckli@indiana.edu a Private Message
I wasn't about to give up knitting, and I'd already had 2 cortisone shots in my elbow when a friend suggested accupuncture. It has made all the difference in the world! I tried the arm strap, cushions to support my arms, knitting continental, and using circular needles, which helped some but didn't eliminate the problem or heal the damage But my accupuncturist is also a knitter and she knew just where to put the needles to heal everything and allow me to work my way back up from 0 minutes per day to as much as I want (or have time for). I can't recommend it more highly!
Go to Top of Page

lbbuckli@indiana.edu
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:36:15 PM  Show Profile Send lbbuckli@indiana.edu a Private Message
I wasn't about to give up knitting, and I'd already had 2 cortisone shots in my elbow when a friend suggested accupuncture. It has made all the difference in the world! I tried the arm strap, cushions to support my arms, knitting continental, and using circular needles, which helped some but didn't eliminate the problem or heal the damage But my accupuncturist is also a knitter and she knew just where to put the needles to heal everything and allow me to work my way back up from 0 minutes per day to as much as I want (or have time for). I can't recommend it more highly!
Go to Top of Page

Tamara
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  1:45:24 PM  Show Profile Send Tamara a Private Message
rkc...the pain is in the inner "fatty" part of my elbow. I have heard so many people talk bad about cortisone shots...I am really praying that I don't have to give up knitting.

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

Tamara
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

rkc...the pain is in the inner "fatty" part of my elbow. I have heard so many people talk bad about cortisone shots...I am really praying that I don't have to give up knitting.

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

Tamara
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

cgseekins@earthlink.net
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  2:20:08 PM  Show Profile Send cgseekins@earthlink.net a Private Message
Knitters elbow ,can be from resting your arm on an arm chair,while knitting,and can effect the elbow also,by pushing on the nerves.
I now have Pheriphal neuropothy in both hands ,and cant spin knit or weave,there dosnt seem to be any solution to the problem,
therefore I sit with both hands in heated pillows,looking at the projects I have made ,through the years and look at my beautifull hand knit sox on my feet,that I wondered what I would do with all of them after making 25 pair for Grandchildren last Christmas,
Knit while you are able ,but take time to rest and lift the tea cup,in between
Reha Seekins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by