Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 Knitting as Cowardice...Can You Believe This?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  07:29:58 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
I don't know if this link will work, but I got it off KnitU. There's an article in the Charlotte Observer by a woman who sees knitting as a part of a trend of women hiding from reality by trying to recreate Mayberry. It really ticked me off, so of course, I would like to get you all ticked off, too!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/entertainment/performing_arts/5460889.

I hope you can read it.

Carin

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  07:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
Oh my gosh. I can't even put into words the emotions I have upon reading that article. I'm all about free speech which is why I'm about to strongly disagree! She says that people are knitting and picking up other domestic hobbies due to peer pressure. How does she account for the women who don't know anyone else around them to share their hobbies? Just because we are knitting, cooking and embarking upon home improvement projects does not mean that we are hiding from the world and failing to be involved in the issues of the day. She said "Too many sisters fought to free women from aprons and mops for me to voluntarily become Aunt Bee and pretend it's by choice". Well, I'm glad that I am free to choose to knit and create things with my hands. How can you even equate knitting to housework? I could ramble along about this article all day but it doesn't deserve that much of my time. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
-sarah

Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  07:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
Oh my gosh. I can't even put into words the emotions I have upon reading that article. I'm all about free speech which is why I'm about to strongly disagree! She says that people are knitting and picking up other domestic hobbies due to peer pressure. How does she account for the women who don't know anyone else around them to share their hobbies? Just because we are knitting, cooking and embarking upon home improvement projects does not mean that we are hiding from the world and failing to be involved in the issues of the day. She said "Too many sisters fought to free women from aprons and mops for me to voluntarily become Aunt Bee and pretend it's by choice". Well, I'm glad that I am free to choose to knit and create things with my hands. How can you even equate knitting to housework? I could ramble along about this article all day but it doesn't deserve that much of my time. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
-sarah

Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

-sarah

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
I wonder how the author feels to find it published in the "living" section of the paper and not the "political commentary" section.

IMHO, the article makes the author seem very narrow minded. It's the first time I've read her so don't know if she's a featured writer for the Observer or a guest and therefore don't know if it's her normal style of writing.

But you know, we all find our creative outlets. My sister has never had the need to pick up "handwork" of any shape or kind but she was a terrific basketball and softball player in her day. She now gardens. I admire her garden, she admires my handwork. We are both active in our choice of womens' "movements". So if that makes us Aunt Bea, yeah for us....hmmm, I seem to remember Aunt Bea fighting a few fights

Linda

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:11:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
I wonder how the author feels to find it published in the "living" section of the paper and not the "political commentary" section.

IMHO, the article makes the author seem very narrow minded. It's the first time I've read her so don't know if she's a featured writer for the Observer or a guest and therefore don't know if it's her normal style of writing.

But you know, we all find our creative outlets. My sister has never had the need to pick up "handwork" of any shape or kind but she was a terrific basketball and softball player in her day. She now gardens. I admire her garden, she admires my handwork. We are both active in our choice of womens' "movements". So if that makes us Aunt Bea, yeah for us....hmmm, I seem to remember Aunt Bea fighting a few fights

Linda

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Linda

Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
Just a note...she lists her email address. I think it would be most productive if you can adequately articulate your opinion and send a letter to her as well as posting it on the forum. That's my plan and I know other knitters have sent her their opinions as well. I don't want to send any "hate mail" her way but the great thing about freedom of speech is that you can share your opinion with others. If you want to read a great response, you can check out Bonne's at www.ChicKnits.com under her blog. Just FYI!
-sarah

Go to Top of Page

onestitchshort
Chatty Knitter

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit onestitchshort's Homepage Send onestitchshort a Private Message
Just a note...she lists her email address. I think it would be most productive if you can adequately articulate your opinion and send a letter to her as well as posting it on the forum. That's my plan and I know other knitters have sent her their opinions as well. I don't want to send any "hate mail" her way but the great thing about freedom of speech is that you can share your opinion with others. If you want to read a great response, you can check out Bonne's at www.ChicKnits.com under her blog. Just FYI!
-sarah

Go to Top of Page

Tweedles
Warming Up

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tweedles's Homepage Send Tweedles a Private Message
Okay, I'm insulted....

I live in Rock Hill, SC - just over the state line from Charlotte.

But we never go to Charlotte. We have a saying in our house:

"We don't go to Charlotte. You go to Charlotte and you don't come back."

Maybe if more people were knitting in Charlotte it would lessen the number of murders, rapes, drive-by shootings, etc. that plague the city of Charlotte.

-Sandi-Cassil
with every stitch

Go to Top of Page

Tweedles
Warming Up

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tweedles's Homepage Send Tweedles a Private Message
Okay, I'm insulted....

I live in Rock Hill, SC - just over the state line from Charlotte.

But we never go to Charlotte. We have a saying in our house:

"We don't go to Charlotte. You go to Charlotte and you don't come back."

Maybe if more people were knitting in Charlotte it would lessen the number of murders, rapes, drive-by shootings, etc. that plague the city of Charlotte.

-Sandi-Cassil
with every stitch

Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:20:53 AM  Show Profile Send Beckyh a Private Message
This woman in no way represents anyone from North Carolina other than herself.

Becky (proud knitter from NC)

Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Go to Top of Page

Beckyh
Gabber Extraordinaire

471 Posts

Go to Top of Page

reelgrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit reelgrrrl's Homepage Send reelgrrrl a Private Message
This article was mentioned on the knitlist as well and MAN are they mad!!!!!! I've been reading all tbe posts and that reporter probably has at least 100 emails by now!!! I want to know if she responds to anyone!! Keep us updated!!!!

http://cherryduckie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

reelgrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  08:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit reelgrrrl's Homepage Send reelgrrrl a Private Message
This article was mentioned on the knitlist as well and MAN are they mad!!!!!! I've been reading all tbe posts and that reporter probably has at least 100 emails by now!!! I want to know if she responds to anyone!! Keep us updated!!!!

http://cherryduckie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Angharad
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  09:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Angharad's Homepage Send Angharad a Private Message
I prefer to think of knitting as taking control over my fashion, thanks. Who does that reporter think she is? She's not even a knitter, so how would she know what we think, or why we knit?

She's going on my list of People Who Deserve a Sharp Note. She may even get one.

Angharad

Rock is Dead. Long live Paper and Scissors.
Go to Top of Page

Angharad
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  09:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Angharad's Homepage Send Angharad a Private Message
I prefer to think of knitting as taking control over my fashion, thanks. Who does that reporter think she is? She's not even a knitter, so how would she know what we think, or why we knit?

She's going on my list of People Who Deserve a Sharp Note. She may even get one.

Angharad

Go to Top of Page

Angharad
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Angharad

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Here's my response which I e-mailed to the author of the article:

Dear Tonya,

I read your article online regarding knitting and your viewpoint that young women are knitting in order to "nest" and avoid fears about 9/11 & war.

I'm 33 years old and I live in Chicago. I've been knitting since the age of 8 when I taught MYSELF how to knit from a book because it looked like fun. No one made me learn to knit because it was a "girly" thing to do.

Why do I continue to knit? For the sheer enjoyment I get from knitting. Knitting is one task where you're exercising your right brain (creativity) and left brain (mathematical thinking) at the same time. I take great pride in the items I knit. It's relaxing, it's enjoyable. I'd much rather spend my idle time knitting & being productive than vegging out in front of the TV. Talk about sticking your head in the sand!

Am I trying to be Aunt Bee or Mrs. Cleaver? I think not! I work full-time and my husband is a full-time stay-at-home dad. I bring home the bacon, he fries it up in the pan. I don't clean house all day while wearing pearls & high heels, I'm out in the work force, earning a living for my family.

I understand the point you were trying to make: people using a hobby as an esacpe mechanism. However, I don't think you actually spent much time talking to REAL knitters. We don't do it to stick out heads in the sand, we do it because we love to knit. I'm not a "nester" nor am I a girly-girl.

In this wonderful country of ours, we are free to express our opinions. You have expressed yours but I will have to disagree. I think you have pegged knitters in an unfair stereotype. We are free-thinking, creative people, not Mrs. Cleaver & Aunt Bee!

Kindest Regards,

--Kristin

"A little nonsense now & then is relished by the wisest men." --Roald Dahl
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2003 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Here's my response which I e-mailed to the author of the article:

Dear Tonya,

I read your article online regarding knitting and your viewpoint that young women are knitting in order to "nest" and avoid fears about 9/11 & war.

I'm 33 years old and I live in Chicago. I've been knitting since the age of 8 when I taught MYSELF how to knit from a book because it looked like fun. No one made me learn to knit because it was a "girly" thing to do.

Why do I continue to knit? For the sheer enjoyment I get from knitting. Knitting is one task where you're exercising your right brain (creativity) and left brain (mathematical thinking) at the same time. I take great pride in the items I knit. It's relaxing, it's enjoyable. I'd much rather spend my idle time knitting & being productive than vegging out in front of the TV. Talk about sticking your head in the sand!

Am I trying to be Aunt Bee or Mrs. Cleaver? I think not! I work full-time and my husband is a full-time stay-at-home dad. I bring home the bacon, he fries it up in the pan. I don't clean house all day while wearing pearls & high heels, I'm out in the work force, earning a living for my family.

I understand the point you were trying to make: people using a hobby as an esacpe mechanism. However, I don't think you actually spent much time talking to REAL knitters. We don't do it to stick out heads in the sand, we do it because we love to knit. I'm not a "nester" nor am I a girly-girl.

In this wonderful country of ours, we are free to express our opinions. You have expressed yours but I will have to disagree. I think you have pegged knitters in an unfair stereotype. We are free-thinking, creative people, not Mrs. Cleaver & Aunt Bee!

Kindest Regards,

--Kristin

"A little nonsense now & then is relished by the wisest men." --Roald Dahl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth