Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Where is your favorite knitting area?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I am trying to organize my living room so I have all my knitting right where I need it. I have a chair & ottoman with my knitting basket to the left of the chair & a floor lamp to the right. Do you have a favorite area to knit in/at? How is it set up? I have a bag for every project & that looks pretty messy all over the living room. Do you have all your bags in one place? Looking for ideas on organizing. Pictures of your knitting area would be great!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes

Trina in AZ

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  11:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
My knitting area is messy but no worse than any other area of the house.
I have a knitting chair (canadian glider) in the corner.
To my right is a book case with all my knitting books. Next to that is a stand that has a couple of shelves - to hold my coffee, knitting needles and some projects stuffed under it.
To my left is the rest of the living room and a stand with a light and 2 shelves. the top holds miscellaneous junk and under it is a basket with projects. In front of it is a bin with projects inside and on top of it. There are projects in bags that hang from the back spokes of the chair and also under it.

I could show you a picture but it either looks extrememly cluttered and you can't see all the hidden projects. I'm just learning to live with the cluttered look.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message
My knitting stuff is at the end of the couch on the ground in a big rubber made tub by the porch sliding glass door. I like it to be by the couch so I can knit while my boyfriend watches T.V. I really dont watch T.V. except Good Day Sacramento in the morning and Marth Stewart.

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/yarncollecter.gif[/IMG]
~Courtney [IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/knitting.gif[/IMG]
So many projects, so little time!
http://crzyboutcrochet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:20:40 PM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
I sit in a recliner which is by the picture window. I have a good lighting, a basket to the left of the chair holds my current WIP, crochet hook, and instructions, and the coffe table to close so I can keep a drink handy. I try to keep my knitting books organized but eventually they make their way over to the recliner and become scattered. The books are also my relief when I need to put the knitting down for awhile to rest my hands.

Angie
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2386 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:48:31 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I knit on the couch beside my husband in our family room (like most homes here, our family room, dining area and kitchen are in one big room, as you already know) so I can watch TV and look out the sliders to our backyard that we FINALLY had landscaped over the weekend.

I have my laptop on a table right beside me cause I like to look up things as I think of them. My current project is usually laid down on top of the laptop when I close it at night and during the evening it's in my lap. I have a pocket thingy hanging on my laptop table that holds scissors, needles, tape measurer, etc. I bought a great scrapbook organizer that hangs on a rotating stand to place beside the couch but it has since found its way over to my spinning wheel which right now is setting beside our dining room table only steps from the couch.

My books/magazines are all in the den on a shelf and my yarn, etc. is tucked away in shoe organizers hanging in the closet in my exercise/sewing/craft/etc. room, which is just down the hall from the family room. I use baskets and cardboard boxes (I've read that cardboard keeps the bugs out of wool cause they won't chew it) for my fiber and extra skeins for the project I'm currently working on. For me, it's not a bad thing to have to get up every so often to go get something cause I have bad disks in my back and shouldn't sit for long periods of time anyway. Now that we're done with the backyard (except for buying furniture, grill, pots, flowers....I guess we're not as done as I thought!) I might knit and spin out there some until it gets really hot. I'd post pictures but they'd be pretty boring.

This is a great post - gives us all some more ideas and it's gives a nice visual of everyone knitting away.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I mostly knit on my bed because I spread everything out - pattern, chart, row counter, yarn, etc. I have a very good light there for night and the afternoon sun makes the room very bright during the day. My dog likes to sleep on the bed while I am knitting and I have a TV and a radio or just silence in that room.

I just did my den and it's so uncluttered and asking for knitting, LOL. When I get an OTT light or some equivalent I will spend more time knitting in there on the sofa although I do knit in there now when I don't need a lot of stuff laid out.

I don't have a lot of WIPs at one time so whatever bag I am using is just sort of there.

GFTC of NYC
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:53:24 PM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
My knitting area is in the family room. I have an easy chair, an Ott light to the left next to a set of stacked plastic shelfy-baskety things (you know what I mean), with knitting supplies, a few books and projects. Other projects are in canvas bags (approx. 1 project per bag) scattered around on the floor. I'm neatness-impaired. It shows. But I know where things are, so I'm happy. The TV is in front of the chair. My laptop sits on a trash can in front of the chair. The desk top computer is on its desk to the left, where my husband can work on "Photoshop" and old family photos, when he's not "working" on Quicken. A good set up, and it would be even better with a small sofa instead of the chair. I'm working on that, but it would require cleaning up, so.....

Dee

You can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the girl.
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  12:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Hmmm. Depends on how you look at it.

I do most knitting at home at my recliner, or on the couch. Especially lately.

Kelley

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.
Go to Top of Page

griffsmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

457 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  1:09:34 PM  Show Profile Send griffsmom a Private Message
Family room for me too. I have an oversized comfy chair and ottoman where I sit and knit while I watch tv. Next to the chair on the right side is an end table and on the left is a fireplace. Baskets on the floor under the end table hold my yarn and kntting books and supplies. At some point during the evening, my big 16 lb. cat, Boo Boo, will decide it's time to see how close he can get to my lap (and my yarn!!) before I tell him that's far enough. In 2 years, my 19 y/o DS will finish college and he says that he plans on getting his own apartment, so maybe I'll be able to turn his room into my very own knitting/quilting studio in a few years.

*~*Lori*~*

My finished projects: http://community.webshots.com/album/308469463umpbHG

"Measure wealth, not by the things you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money." ~ Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  1:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I tend to sit on the couch in front of our living room window, with my back against the arm rest and my knees up and my feet sort of braced between the cushions. My husband calls it the launch position. I have a knitting basket that fits on the lower shelf of our coffee table, a good lamp behind me, and generally a DVD of some show I love on the TV or NPR on the radio. The cat either sits on my feet, lays on the arm behind my head, threatens the neighborhood stray through the window, or pesters me until I put my knitting down and pet him. The dog lies on the floor between the couch and the table asking for treats and pestering me to put my knitting down or put the cat down and pet him.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I do a lot of my knitting right here in front of the computer! Otherwise I am usually sitting in my chair in the lounge. Some of my "stuff" is spread around the chair, rather untidily I must admit.

Trina, have you thought of, and have room for, a set of deep shelves with baskets in them to hold your various projects? It could be one way of tidying them up and look really good at the same time! Just a suggestion.

KathyR

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:54:22 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
Right now I do a lot of my knitting sitting on my bed with my laptop on my lap and the lamp right over my head turned on. However, I just reorganized and as soon as I finish cleaning, I will have a new knitting nook! It has a wooden chair (eventually I'll get something more comfy) with a pillow in the back and my homemade quilt on it, right next to it is a bookshelf with my favorite tv-show dvds and knitting books, on top of it is a lamp, my knitting calendar, my needles, and a bowl of notions, propped up against it are bags with my UFOs and the yarn for them, beside it is stacked my plastic box encased yarn stash, and on the floor next to it is a basket (soon to be prettier and wicker) with my current books and projects. I can't wait to be done!
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:55:56 PM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message
I'm with GFTC, I knit in bed!
Most of my fiber arts stuff is in the office, but I rarely knit in there. I spread out on the bed, and knit in front of the tv with DH there, just spending time together. Of course, my knitting bag goes most everywhere with me too, so it is debatable whether I knit more in the bed, or out in public!

My MIL knits in her armchair in the den, and also in bed. She says she can't sleep unless she knits a few rows before bed. She also takes her knitting with her to work at the local college bookstore, where she runs the accounting section. She knits during lunch in the quad in front of the store when it's sunny. (one of the spots that gets the most foot traffic on campus!)

I use an entertainment center to store my fiber stuff, as well as under the bed. The center has three tall bookcase units with doors, some glass, some wood, so I can show off pretty yarn and fiber behind glass, where it's safe from the pets and kiddo. I put my sewing machine in the TV hole for storage, along with patterns and needles.

Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  3:05:09 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
I have a *chair and a half* in my front room that I like to use, with a small Ott light next to it and my WIP bags nearby. I don't dare put too much out lest my 4 year old have a free for all LOL. I store most of my supplies, books, etc. upstairs in the spare bedroom.

~Rena~
www.music2knit.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  3:11:20 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
Either my bed, or my recliner downstairs. My husband bought a great little adjustable table lamp that is on a table next to my chair, and it gives just enough light to knit by, but still dark enough to enjoy a fun movie. My current project is in one of my Portabella stands next to my chair...perfect.
Soon I'll be offering a larger floor stand which will hold (I'd like to think) as many projects as I have going!
As far as organizing, I try to have 'out' just the projects I'm actually working on.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  4:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
My favorite place to knit is at KnitKnutz with my friends.

Lissa

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

Oh, and I now have a blog:http://knittnlissa.typepad.com/knittnlissa/
Go to Top of Page

fleurdog
Chatty Knitter

106 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  4:25:18 PM  Show Profile Send fleurdog a Private Message
Most evenings you can find me lying on the couch with a small folding Ott light above me wedged between the top of the couch and the wall, my knitting bag on the floor beside me, and (if I'm lucky) my feet in my honey's lap and something good on tv.

Carrie

"Waddaya expect me to do, sit home and knit?"

-line from film noir classic
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  5:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Ok, I'm thinking I need a more comfy bed and better lighting in there.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

Karknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  6:26:26 PM  Show Profile Send Karknit a Private Message
I sit on the couch with my WIP in the middle and my Shih Tzu Riley on the other end. Most of my knitting stuff in the big built-in storage on the right where the TV is. DH sits across the room near the computer.
Living in a 37' 5th wheel means keeping mess at a minumin.
There are deer right outside our door and we get to travel, so I'm happy.

Karen

My diet incentive, to knit smaller sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

KCShaw
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
393 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  6:45:31 PM  Show Profile Send KCShaw a Private Message
I got a chair that is way too big and soft, but you can curl up in it and nap if so inclined. I got my basket of knitting close to my right side, opposite is a fireplace and spinning wheel in the corner. My DH is normally stretched out on the couch. He is the coffee getter and dog let-er-outer. Not too bad all-in-all :)
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  7:18:42 PM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
I have one bedroom designated for all my crafts and hobbies....but inevitably, I gather a few supplies and sit on the sofa with my husband to do my knitting.

Trish
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.