Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Mid-Gauge Machines
 New Machine Set-up?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbug
Chatty Knitter

234 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  06:44:06 AM  Show Profile Send jbug a Private Message
I have a new mid-guage and ribber that I got myself for Christmas. I am putting off setting it up because I have never done machine knitting, ... afraid to break it!

The manual seems really straightforward. Do you think I should be doing this without some experienced help? Or am I asking for trouble?

Any advice appreciated,
Jbug

saashka
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  9:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit saashka's Homepage  Send saashka a Yahoo! Message Send saashka a Private Message
You don't need any help, just the manual. And it seems, also some courage. :-) The knitting machine is just a machine, here to serve you, not the other way around. Follow the manual and you'll have it up and running in no time.

Alex

http://saashka.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jbug
Chatty Knitter

234 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  09:10:35 AM  Show Profile Send jbug a Private Message
Thanks, Alex, for the encouraging words. You are right about the courage! It's just nice to know that it's do-able. I really can't wait to try it. Learning curve ahead!

jbug
Go to Top of Page

saashka
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  9:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit saashka's Homepage  Send saashka a Yahoo! Message Send saashka a Private Message
jbug, it's not only doable, it's downright easy. You'll be wondering why you waited so long.

Alex

Go to Top of Page

jbug
Chatty Knitter

234 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  07:13:17 AM  Show Profile Send jbug a Private Message
Thanks Alex,

I visited your blog, and I LOVE your yarn tree. Guess only a knitter would think that was an object of beauty! You are so lucky to have all that yarn.

Wanted to ask where you got the table for your machine and ribber. It looks really stable. I was going to use an old desk, but have a stand on my wish list for someday.

jbug
Go to Top of Page

saashka
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  3:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit saashka's Homepage  Send saashka a Yahoo! Message Send saashka a Private Message
The table came from http://www.allbrands.com it's there under knitting equipment. I love it. It's very stable. The other machine is currently on a stand (I got mine on eBay) but will be getting its own table soon. The stand is great because it's easily taken apart (two screws) and portable for classes or meetings.

Alex

Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  12:18:30 PM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
Hello Jbug...

I just wanted to chime in and encourage you to dive right in. I'm a long-term hand knitter who took up machine knitting several months ago, and I'm even more obsessed with that than I was with hand knitting or spinning. I am self-taught on my Passap and having the time of my life! (yeah, I know I need to get out more )
If you're a hand knitter as well, you'll find the transition interesting. You keep wanting to fall back on your hand skills, but MK'ing is a whole new world. It's good to have the basic knowledge of the structure of knitted fabric, but from that point on everything is done very differently. Perhaps you could find a group or forum of MK'ers who use the same type of machine you do.

Good luck... you're gonna have a ball.
Jim
Go to Top of Page

jbug
Chatty Knitter

234 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  07:20:52 AM  Show Profile Send jbug a Private Message
Thanks Alex and Jim for all the encouragement! I am so ready to try this. I think you are right about the knowledge of knitted fabric, Jim. When I look back at all that I have learned since I began handknitting, I am going to avoid lots of mistakes, I am sure.

I am looking at this as a way to play with more handknitting yarn and patterns.

Jim, have you found that you are doing both hand and machine on the same projects? I heard this called "Fusion" knitting on the chicknits site. I am fascinated by the possibilities.

jbug
Go to Top of Page

MijTink
Chatty Knitter

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  08:25:42 AM  Show Profile Send MijTink a Private Message
Hi again! I'm so happy you're going to take the leap! Oh yes, fusion knitting. I think there may be two schools of thought on this. It would seem some people prefer to use the machine to complete the garment, even with much of the seaming and edgings; and, I've seen some amazing results. I've been told by a couple of MK'ing experts that combining hand and machine knitting is detectable to the discerning eye, and that the finished product doesn't look as if it "meshes" quite properly.

I have the greatest respect for the skilled people who can use a machine start to finish; however, others have told me building the bulk of the garment by machine and finishing it off by hand adds a personal touch. Admittedly I prefer the latter method, because it lets me feel as if I've put more of myself into the garment. Of course you can add your own embellishments, edgings, and button bands / necks. There's no limit to the possibilities. I use my book called "knitting on the edge" a lot to put the finishing touches on sweaters and scarves.

Fusion knitting is way cool for me, because it allows me the speed with which to say, finish a full sweater back in 20-30 minutes (which includes shaping the arms and even short-rowing the shoulders). At the same time it allows me to add creativity by hand-seaming and hand-knitting the collar or whatever I like. That way also I still get the benefit of the soothing rhythm of handknitting.

And I must say one other thing in favor of machine knitting, and that is with reference to socks. A finished pair in less than 1.5 hours. And we're not talking tube socks, but rather socks with the ribbing, leg, instep, shaped heel with a built-in gusset, foot, and shaped toe. The only thing different is a small mattress-stitch seam down the back of the ribbing only. I made about 30 pairs of socks as Christmas gifts, and I started in mid-November. And I have a full time job. I most apologize for the length of this post, but my enthusiasm seems to take over sometimes and make me longwinded... Best of luck, and feel free to message me privately if you need any technical info.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

saashka
Chatty Knitter

114 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  3:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit saashka's Homepage  Send saashka a Yahoo! Message Send saashka a Private Message
Jim,
I am interested in your sock pattern. I don't mind a seam in the ribbing as long as there's no seam elsewhere (except Kitchner stitch at the toe maybe).

Go to Top of Page

donnaknits@comcast.net
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  1:35:04 PM  Show Profile Send donnaknits@comcast.net a Private Message
Also interested in the sock pattern. I have a Studio Mid and Bulky but I am a dedicated hand knitter. I think it would be fun to try socks tho but have not seen a pattern for any without a seam down the back of the whole leg. DonnaLee
Go to Top of Page

pambear@aapt.net.au
New Pal

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  7:03:21 PM  Show Profile Send pambear@aapt.net.au a Private Message
Hi There,

I also have a Passap machine which loves the fine yarns. Have never tried to knit socks on it, and would love to do so,as this machine does the most beautiful fairisle. Where do I get a Pattern,please? Our winter is just around the corner and now would be a good time to stock up on some fancy socks.

Pam, Queensland Australia.
Go to Top of Page

bonnieboo_13
New Pal

Uganda
7 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  7:53:16 PM  Show Profile Send bonnieboo_13 a Private Message
Hi, Jim!
I would love to see a pic of your socks & find out where you got the pattern. So far I have only made booties & a pair of baby socks.
Thanks,
bonnieboo_13@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

lford
Chatty Knitter

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  2:41:24 PM  Show Profile Send lford a Private Message
I received an Artisan Mid-Gauge machine for my birthday (almost 2 years ago) and have not been able to make sense out of the manual. Today, I finally forced myself to sit down at the machine until I figured it out and completed my first project--a scarf. I was excited to learn there were machine knitting forums out here. The closest Artisan dealer is a two hour drive from my home!

Would like to hear from other machine knitters, both beginner and experienced. I am looking forward to rapidly reducing my yarn stash so I can buy more!

Linda
Go to Top of Page

TheStitchWitch
New Pal

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  4:02:40 PM  Show Profile Send TheStitchWitch a Private Message
I have just purchased an Artisan 70D with ribber. I find the manual is not helpful. Their are no troubleshooting techniques. Also their is only one cast on. I am searching for a good beginners book on the knitting machine. It does not have to be for the artisan, as I am sure casting on and off is pretty much the same and some other tips and tricks. If I am on the wrong track could someone lend some advice. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

THERESA P
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  3:18:14 PM  Show Profile Send THERESA P a Private Message
Hi Alex and other machine knitters, You must try Pat Plett's 'Perfectly Seamless Socks' machine knitting pattern.

TOTALLY SEAMLESS, with ribbing, turned toe and heel!

Pat's e-mail is: knitsetcetera@cs.com 316.733.2993

Happy knitting, Theresa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.