Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Your favorite pattern for an aran sweater?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jasmine-Rose
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  4:30:01 PM  Show Profile Send Jasmine-Rose a Private Message
I'm a relatively new knitter and I'm in the process of knitting an aran sweater - St. Brigid by Alice Starmore. I've completed both sleeves and I'm nearly finished with the back panel. I'm enjoying this so much more than the simpler sweaters I've done in the past and I'm looking for my next project.

I've been looking at Celtic Dreams by Beth Brown-Reinsel (that would be my first top-down project), Ragna by Elspeth Lavold (not exactly aran but lovely cables), and Inishmore by Alice Starmore (which looks very complicated and challenging).

Do you have a favorite aran sweater pattern? Please share and inspire me. I only knit one project at a time so I still have time to decide what to cast on for next, and lots of time to think about it while I do another 250 rows plus the neckline and finish work on St. Brigid!

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  4:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Beth Brown-Reinsel's Marilyn, which I saw in person, literally took my breath away. It's an aran cardigan.

And I had started Alice Starmore's Durrow, which is one of the very few sweaters that I wouldn't change a thing about, except I heard the pattern had a lot of errata, and I've been looking for corrections for some time. The sweater is in her Celtic Collection, it's the one with the color panels that look like stained glass....

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Jasmine-Rose
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  4:40:18 PM  Show Profile Send Jasmine-Rose a Private Message
Hi Rose,
I was just looking at Durrow but I don't know if I'm ready for that one yet. I've never done any color work and I've never done a project with doubled yarn. I'm really very new to this. I taught myself about two years ago and this is my fourth sweater. The others were a very simple jacket and two ganseys with very simple stitch patterns in the yoke. St. Brigid grabbed my attention and I had to take the plunge. This is my first time knitting from charts and, while it takes me a long time because I have to refer to the charts constantly, I love the process.

Thanks for pointing out Marilyn. I'll take a look at that one on Beth's website. I was thinking of another pullover, but if it took your breath away then I'll have to put that one on the list!
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  4:42:31 PM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Inishmore is a wonderful aran pattern and much easier that it would appear. I've knit it several times and had another request on hold right now. My cream colored version is in my gallery.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  5:22:23 PM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
My dream is to knit an aran sweater and have been acquiring many different pattern books. I am a fairly new knitter and am a little confused how to keep track of where are am when using multiple charts. For example, 1 chart might be a 8 stitch 8 row repeat and another might be 32 stitches with a 16 row repeat, etc. Short of writing out the whole pattern, how do you count?
Go to Top of Page

Jasmine-Rose
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  5:49:46 PM  Show Profile Send Jasmine-Rose a Private Message
Sue, I'll tell you what I did but I'm sure it isn't what most knitters do. I made copies of the charts and taped them together in the correct order. I made 2 copies of the 8-row chart and taped them together vertically so I could then tape that section beside the 16-row chart. I did the same for all the charts so they were all aligned. Then you have all the stitches and rows in order. I checked off each row as I completed knitting it. On the needles, I put stitch markers between each chart section so I always knew where I was.

I'm sure more experienced knitters can keep track more easily, but for my first aran, I wanted to do it with some assurance that I could maintain order. You'll surely get better advice from those with more experience!
Go to Top of Page

Jasmine-Rose
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  5:51:26 PM  Show Profile Send Jasmine-Rose a Private Message
Dicksie, the photos in your gallery are lovely and the Inishmore sweater is beautiful and inspiring. Thanks for the assurance that it looks harder than it is! You've convinced me to keep it on the list of possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  5:58:47 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Dicksie is without a doubt the expert, but when I've done Arans, especially complicated ones, I make a note that if a chart repeats after the 4th row and another repeats after 12 rows, then row 1 of the 4 row chart is also rows 5 and 9, row 2 is 6 and 10, etc. I keep track of the actual number of rows. I might also use another counter.

My next Aran will be Alice Starmore's Fulmer.

For a nice selection of Aran's to choose from, check out the Black Water Abbey website. http://www.abbeyyarns.com/html/products_frame_page.html Marilyn King, the owner, is a delight and her yarns knit up Arans very nicely.
Go to Top of Page

autumns daughter
Chatty Knitter

267 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  6:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit autumns daughter's Homepage Send autumns daughter a Private Message
Ooooh, St. Brigid is so gorgeous- its my dream to be accomplished enough- and gutsy enough- to take that one on.
any aran would be quite the adventure for me- I need to practice more before attempting one!

autumn's daughter
bloggy blog:
http://autumnsdaughter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:00:06 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by COgirl

For a nice selection of Aran's to choose from, check out the Black Water Abbey website. http://www.abbeyyarns.com/html/products_frame_page.html Marilyn King, the owner, is a delight and her yarns knit up Arans very nicely.

Celtic Dreams, a pullover on that page, is gorgeous! I have a few projects to do first but I can see that in my future.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

Jasmine-Rose
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:18:29 PM  Show Profile Send Jasmine-Rose a Private Message
COgirl, thanks for pointing me to BWA. I recently ordered the color card and the yarn is gorgeous. I'm especially partial to the color Bracken. That's also where I ordered the Celtic Dreams pattern. As much as I want to order some of the yarn, I have some Cascade Eco+ in lilac in my stash and I thought I could use that when I make Celtic Dreams. Of course, I might change my mind and indulge anyway - that Bracken is so pretty. Good luck with Fulmar and keep us posted on your progress.

Autumn's daughter - St. Brigid isn't hard, and I'm new at this too. I find that the most important things are 1) insert a lifeline every so often for insurance and 2) I shouldn't knit if I'm tired because that's when I make mistakes. I hope you take the plunge soon!

Lizknit, if you google Celtic Dreams for images you'll see other photos of the sweater. This one shows it very nicely and in Black Water Abbey yarn in the gorgeous shade called bracken : http://irwinmb.typepad.com/photos/sweaters/img_2142.html
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:21:45 PM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
I'm working on Alice Starmore's Irish Moss and it looks very involved, but has been one of the most enjoyable projects I've ever knitted. I also copied the charts, cut them out and taped them in the sequence they would be worked. It really, really helped me keep the charts straight.
After knitting the front, I felt confident enough to knit the sequences from memory, which does make the knitting go faster. I'm so happy with Starmore, I've ordered some Louet Sales from Cashmere Cat (she's in the Sales section) at 20% off for Inishmores for my daughters. I will modify the pattern so it isn't so wide, and I'll be making the shorter version. Oh, to have those teenage figures again!

Be sure to post a picture when you're done!
Beth

Beth
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
I am obsessed with Inishmore...it is the highest form of the Aran imo. And it is the only Aran that looks not one bit clunky. It is just loveliness personified.
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
It will be a while before I get to Fulmer, maybe later in the year. I don't even have yarn for it yet. Celtic Dreams is beautiful. Ironically, I'm wearing a sweater right now that I knit out of BWA in bracken. It is beautiful yarn.

Alliwenk, check out Dicksie's sight for Fulmer too. Both sweaters are from the AS Aran Knitting book, I believe. I just won that book on e-bay and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail.
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  06:40:00 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
What a wonderful idea to copy the charts and cut and paste them appropriately. I never would have thought of that. Silly me. I guess that's why I love these forums so much -:) I had actually decided to put aside some money that had been earmarked for yarn, to take some lessons. Now...I have more money for yarn. YEAH !!!!
Go to Top of Page

DeAnn
Seriously Hooked

USA
831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  07:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit DeAnn's Homepage Send DeAnn a Private Message
Yes, I've done the same cut and paste technique on complicated Arans. I'm lazy and don't like to think too much when I'm knitting, so I like to have a chart that I can work straight across rather than bits and pieces of charts.

Dicksie, your sweaters are inspiring.

Now that I've found nice Aran patterns (especially like some of Blackwater Abbey's patterns), what is your favorite Aran yarn to use?

DeAnn
http://womanofmanyfaces.typepad.com/

When the chips are down.....
The Buffalo is empty.
Go to Top of Page

alliwenk
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  08:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit alliwenk's Homepage Send alliwenk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by COgirl

It will be a while before I get to Fulmer, maybe later in the year. I don't even have yarn for it yet. Celtic Dreams is beautiful. Ironically, I'm wearing a sweater right now that I knit out of BWA in bracken. It is beautiful yarn.

Alliwenk, check out Dicksie's sight for Fulmer too. Both sweaters are from the AS Aran Knitting book, I believe. I just won that book on e-bay and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail.

Dicksie's site makes me drool . Am jealous of the Aran book! It's on my "someday I'll have it" list.
Go to Top of Page

Jasmine-Rose
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  4:38:06 PM  Show Profile Send Jasmine-Rose a Private Message
Many thanks to everyone who shared their aran experiences and dreams with me on this thread. I'll be mulling this over for some time so I hope to gather more ideas to add to my growing list of future projects.
Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  07:13:51 AM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
so you guys totally inspired me. I went home last night and started checking all my books and patterns. Lo and behold, much to my delight, I have the Inishmore pattern in my Alice Starmore Fisherman Sweater book. The whole thing with the shoulder saddle seems rather intimidating to me though. Is this just one of those times where you need to trust that it will make sense when you get to that point in the pattern?
Go to Top of Page

Jasmine-Rose
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  10:35:25 AM  Show Profile Send Jasmine-Rose a Private Message
Sue, I just had my first encounter with saddles in St. Brigid (I did the sleeves first so I could get used to reading the charts on a smaller scale - glad I did). The saddles are easy. You just bind off all the stitches before the saddle section and knit according to the pattern across the rest of the row. On the way back, you again bind off the stitches up to the saddle section. Then all that left is the saddle section and you keep knitting that to the appropriate length. It's nothing to worry about at all!
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  1:48:50 PM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
I like to write my own Aran patterns. You just combine cables that interest you. Barbara Walker explains the process in one of her treasuries--it's either the first or second. She also explains how to make a gauge swatch for a cabled sweater. I've done many of these over the years--I even made a cardigan for myself that has different cables on the front, back, and sleeves. It's kind of a sampler.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe