Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 One big weary sigh...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lavender Stripes
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  8:13:30 PM  Show Profile Send Lavender Stripes a Private Message
First, the good news. I just got the other part of my birthday present from my Mom, the pattern for Eris! I can't wait to start- I already swatched and got gauge on 5s (collar) and 7s (body).
This just barely eeks out a "not-going-to-break-through-the-next-window-and-jump-screaming-onto-the-streets" with the fact that I am probably going to frog three weeks of a lace shawl in gossamer merino tomorrow. Yes, you heard me-- the real thin stuff. The stuff that I was 1 freaking /2 way through the center panel with. Grrr... But I really want it to be a wedding ring shawl, with all the time I'm putting into it, and I feel like 3.5 mm (US 4) needles make it too big; it doesn't really "fit through a ring". I'm swatching on 1s now, and will have the daunting task of reworking the pattern to fit the added repeats (I'm also making the center bigger- it seems small to me) and the dubious pleasure of re-casting on in (if I remember correctly- which is doubtful) 2mm smaller needles and ripping out the work I've done. Say it with me, I can't wait for the weekend so I can get it over with!
(On the plus side, I'm finally meeting with a friend who bought me the 1st season of Lost as a b-day gift! At least I'll have a pleasant thing to watch as I rip out hours of the shawl that is slowly sucking out my life and spirit.)

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  8:28:36 PM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
Deep cleansing breath in. Release slowly.

Ripping out and redoing without being able to tell by the finished product is what makes knitting so great. (Too bad life is not like this.) Still it bites big monkey butts to pull hours of your life out one stitch at a time, though.

Maybe just go ahead and start Eris. Come back to the shawl later. You might then be ok with the things that are driving you nuts at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  12:38:55 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I may be totally off base here, but it seems to me that using bigger needles makes bigger holes. Holes compress.

Using smaller needles means you'll use more yarn for the same size shawl.

Therefore, wouldn't the one on bigger needles be more likely to fit through a ring than the one on smaller needles?

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  12:53:46 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
I was thinking the same - larger needles, looser fabric, more drape, same amount of thread, more fabric.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  3:26:13 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
Me too, can't think it should be smaller needles. I've heard of changing to larger needles midway in a shawl to open it up more too. Get some advice before you rip...let someone see it. Besides, they'll praise your work even if you decide to rip later. Did you consider finishing this one and next time doing it different? Did you consider swatching on larger and another on smaller needles? Good luck, I'm sure it is lovely, maybe you'll make it for someone else and a new one later for yourself that will meet your more strict requirements?

Andy-wommon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?