Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Olympic Training Anyone?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marji-in-tc
Chatty Knitter

180 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  4:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Send marji-in-tc a Yahoo! Message Send marji-in-tc a Private Message
For all of us who have or are going to commit to the Yarn Harlots Knitting Olympics
http://yarnharlot.ca/blog/olympics2006.html

For all of us who know we should be working on some of last years UFO's,
What do you say to a little bit of Training?

What can you finish from your UFO pile before casting on that new project February 10?

Marji,
whose stash surely exceeds life expectancy
my blog: http://fiberartsafloat.blogspot.com/

marji-in-tc
Chatty Knitter

180 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  4:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Send marji-in-tc a Yahoo! Message Send marji-in-tc a Private Message
for my training schedule, I will finish
1. the scarf for the ISE. This is honestly the most challenging thing I've knit in a very long time, and it's beginning to make me crazy. It's a geometric lace pattern with a 24 row repeat and the only way I can keep track is to knit this alone in a quiet room or a room with just instrumental music. The closer I get to deadline, the more mistakes I seem to make, so that it seems I'm unknitting as much as I'm knitting. I've got 10 repeats left, and 10 days before I want to get this in the mail, so that is one repeat a day.
2. My dear sweet patient husbands Christmas gift scarf. 10 people got finished scarves for Christmas, my hubby got yarn and a promise.
3. a sweater that just needs the ruffle hem and sleeve ruffles knit on. It's #11 from last Fall Vogue Knitting

when all that is done, I'm ready to cast on.

Marji,
whose stash surely exceeds life expectancy
my blog: http://fiberartsafloat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

argoknit
Seriously Hooked

USA
711 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  5:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit argoknit's Homepage Send argoknit a Private Message
I'm not participating in Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics, but I have my own Olympic size goal. I am working on finishing the Dale of Norway US Olympic Ski Team sweater for 2006 by the time the Olympics starts. Or, a more realistic goal may be to have it finished by the time they are over - that gives me an extra 16 days. It is for my DH and I have the body and about 1/2 of one sleeve done. The sleeves go pretty quickly.

argoknit

http://www.isaacsondesign.net/

[image]http://www.isaacsondesign.net/forum/llama.gif[/image]
Go to Top of Page

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  5:44:42 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
Well, I signed on to knit Rogue for said Olympics this morning... and I have quite a bit to get finished before then..

I absolutely have to get my Corset Pullover and Ballet Pullover DONE and off the couch. And finish seaming and weaving in ends of a baby hoodie... and I should finish off the cotton bath mat and Jaywalker socks that I started yesterday...

I should do some training for some cabling though...

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  8:09:58 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
I signed up to knit a Philosopher's Wool sweater. But before I start, I need to finish: a)a quickie birthday present for a friend...fingerless mitts, perhaps? b) my 8-year old's knee socks. One is about an inch short of finishing, and then there's of course another to match yet to do. and c) whatever project has got my size 10 1/2 needles in it! I am not sure what this is, even...although I have some suspicions, I will need to dive pretty far down in the UFO pile to locate and retrieve said project. I hope that whatever it is, it's close to being finished!

Lin, High Priestess of Liberal Color Usage
"Wearing cheerful, multicolored hats is a public service, easy to perform, and of incalculable value." - Anna Zilboorg
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/Busyhands/elisaintunnel.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  8:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I'm going to make a pretty simple pullover, but that's challenge enough. My training is going to consist of swatching and planning the sweater, finishing up my evil Jaywalkers, doing a little stash organization so that it won't bug me while I'm "competing" in my "event," and cleaning my apartment so I won't have to do it between the 10th and 26th! If I decide to ditch the organizing and cleaning, there's a little Kimono Angora scarf that I'm itching to make, and I can always cast on more socks. We'll see. Good grief, I am crazy!

Jane

Blog: Not Plain Jane
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  8:57:14 PM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
I have a lace wrap that has been hanging around for 10 months. I'm only like one third done. Then there are the sleeves for my daughter's sweater, originally started in November, I think. And a pair of socks, well 4/5 of one sock, that have been around since September.

If I actually did all this training, I may be burnt out for the Olympics.

But with focus, it could get done.
Go to Top of Page

frenetic@charter.net
Permanent Resident

1386 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  05:05:31 AM  Show Profile Send frenetic@charter.net a Private Message
Well I already put myself on a strict schedule right after Christmas. I had many UFOs. So far, I have finished 2 sweaters and a pair of mittens. Now I have Backyard Leaves, a pair of socks, and Color on Color. I am going to finish the socks and Backyard Leaves before the Olympics and perhaps do some work on Color on Color, which is 3/4 finished. I have also started another sweater, which is my mindless project (always have to have one of those) but I always seem to finish those, however, I would like it to be finished before spring). And, I shall be practicing for the Olympics by doing my gauge swatch.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Susinok
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  08:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susinok's Homepage Send Susinok a Private Message
Hmmm I have quite a bit on the needle right now.

There's Pinup Queen, the back and front are done and so far 9/16ths of the sleeves. It WILL be finished by the Olympics.

Then there is a Faggot Lace Scarf. I can finish that.

I'm working on the FLAK (Aran knitalong), and it will still be in progress during the Olympics.

I'm also working on Wondrous Woven Cabled sweater from Arans and Celtics for my husband. That will not be anywhere close to finished, either.

Then there's the start of one Jaywalker. I'm not working on it until I finish Pinup Queen.

So I'll have two sweaters in the works and I want to cast on a simple sweater to work on during the Olympics. One I can get done in 16 days. NO cables! None! Maybe some lace...

Susan

Susan
Norman, OK
USA
Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  08:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
1. Finish Somewhat Cowl - currently knitting the second sleeve, need to do the neckline and finish knitting the length.

2. Complete the last 5" of the sleeve to BF's sweater.

3. Complete my gauge swatch for Olympics project, which will probably be Sitcom Chic. Thinking about using DB Cotton Angora, although after reading a few reviews this may be a bad idea. Next choice is use some Cotton Ease from the stash.

Felicia in NYC

"This is mohair." "Mohair", he said and placed the furry ball on his head. "Mohair for me?" - from a very funny moment with my boyfriend in a LYS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe