Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 frogging & perfection...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  11:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
How much of a perfectionist are you when knitting?

Will you frog 12 inches of a wrap if you notice one little mistake at the bottom?

Can you let a tiny error go?

Can you let two tiny errors go?

Does your WIP have to be perfect?

What are your limits?

Just curious...

*new blog* http://www.samanthainstitches.blogspot.com/

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  11:53:07 AM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
I have yet to achieve perfection in anything, least of all my knitting. If I felt my projects had to be perfect I'd have nothing but UFOs. I will make every attempt to go back and fix mistakes, but if fixing a small error is not practicable and doesn't seriously compromise the design, I will make peace with it and let it stand.

BTW, it's totally unnecessary to frog 12 inches of work to fix "one little mistake" at the bottom, or anywhere else. You can almost always deal with this by carefully laddering down to the goof, correcting it, and reworking the laddered stitch(es) back up to the needle.

Karen
My knitting photos: http://photobucket.com/albums/a100/karenknits/
My blog: http://dispatchesfromtheinterior.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Stacey14
Permanent Resident

1120 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  11:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stacey14's Homepage Send Stacey14 a Private Message
I love laddering down! I have prevented many miles of frogging with this - especially cables!

If it's going to bother me later and I'll see it every time I put the garment on (even if no one else notices) I'll fix it.

My Blog:On And Off the Needles
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  12:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message
I can let a tiny error go...I really hate frogging unless it is a big mistake or if it is noticeable.

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/yarncollecter.gif[/IMG]
~Courtney [IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/knitting.gif[/IMG]
A Full Stash is a Happy Stash!!
http://crzyboutcrochet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2361 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  12:22:56 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
I let them go, too...unless they're very noticeable or will affect the fit.

So much to learn, so little time cause I'm in a hurry...
Go to Top of Page

SpinDiva
Gabber Extraordinaire

552 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  12:30:09 PM  Show Profile Send SpinDiva a Private Message
I too will choose to ignore an error, if humanly possible...

Andrea
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  1:13:43 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I will usually ignore them. Too many other porblems to worry about.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

pixie_day
Chatty Knitter

130 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  1:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit pixie_day's Homepage Send pixie_day a Private Message
I will frog in a heartbeat if it is noticable. In fact just today at lunch I frogged three inches of a scarf. I will ladder down if possible. However, if it is not able to be seen from accross the room, I don't worry about it.

Mindy
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  1:27:36 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I laddered down 60 rows on a sock because a knit stitch was supposed to be a purl stitch. Anal, I know. I've fixed some little mistakes by fudging over them with more yarn to make it look like they weren't there (on afghans, for instance).

It all depends on A) my mood B) how much it bugs me C) how easy it is to fix. I tried to ignore a mistake on the edge of a Irish Hiking Scarf, and after putting up with it for 8-10 more inches, just couldn't stand it, so I frogged it back and fixed it. I'm glad I did. Others said they didn't see it, but when I looked at it, I could see a "kink" in the scarf that kept bugging me.

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  1:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
I fix a mistake if I know it will annoy me perpetually. I'll frog if the mistake compromises a pattern and I can't fix it by laddering. If the mistake doesn't announce itself with bells and whistles and doesn't compromise a pattern or design I call it a "humility stitch" and learn to love it just as much as the perfect ones.

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page

WendyB
Permanent Resident

3262 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  1:40:41 PM  Show Profile Send WendyB a Private Message
I should have said in my post that I really wanted to ladder down 60 rows on a sock to see if I could do it, like a challenge, so I guess that was really more of a learning experiment!

WendyB
Knit to your heart's delight.
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  2:04:17 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

My frogging drives my husband crazy! He always claims not to notice a mistake,but if it worries me,I frog!I feel that I invest time and money in my projects,so I like them to look as good as possible.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  2:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
How much of a perfectionist are you when knitting? I like it to be as flawless as possible just because I know it can be.

Will you frog 12 inches of a wrap if you notice one little mistake at the bottom? I would frog the whole thing and start again and, believe me, I've done that more than once.

Can you let a tiny error go? I can but I probably wouldn't.

Can you let two tiny errors go? No.

Does your WIP have to be perfect? I prefer to say flawless.

What are your limits? I am making socks out of self striping yarn. I have assorted tricks to ensure that the stripes match from sock to sock but last night as I finished the 2nd toe it was slightly off. By frogging the toe and adding 2 rows and then reknitting the toe, I was able to make it match. So that's what I did and now they match. Nobody but me will ever know or care about those 2 rows but there was no reason not to make them match at the very end.

I figure that there is so little that I can control in this world that I might as well control my knitting.

GFTC of NYC

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  2:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by eggshel344

How much of a perfectionist are you when knitting?

not very much. Those little imperfections are the thing that let us know that this was made by human hands.

Will you frog 12 inches of a wrap if you notice one little mistake at the bottom?

Depends on the mistake really.

Can you let a tiny error go?
Yes

Can you let two tiny errors go?
Yes

Does your WIP have to be perfect?
Absolutely not.

What are your limits?
If I don't think I will wear it, I may frog it. Generally, the pattern needs to be totally off, and unrecoverable to be ripped back.

I also have learned to recognize the impulse to make something more my own and so these things don't bother me so much.

That said, I have been known to pick up dropped stitches with small bits of yarn and a bead, making them a design opportunity instead of ripping back.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  3:21:42 PM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
I will tink, frog, ladder - whatever it takes. I always fix things, if I find them. Usually after something is long off the needles, I will find a mistake I missed. Once something is off the needles, washed, worn, used, whatever, it's pretty unlikely I will ever pull it apart to fix a mistake. So I shoot for perfection knowing in reality it will never happen.

Oh, and I am a constant victim of what Wendy described. Let me knit on and see if I can live with this. Yeah right. Now I have six inches to work back instead of two. Why I ever think I can live with it, I'll never know. But usually I try to my own detriment.
Go to Top of Page

laurelflower
New Pal

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  3:29:39 PM  Show Profile Send laurelflower a Private Message
I usually don't even notice mistakes until i'm done and it's too late! I'll fix mistakes if it doesn't cause me too much frustration. I'm far from a perfectionist, and i usually try to just live mistakes as long as they're not that big of a deal. As one of my art teachers always said, "Think of them as happy mistakes!"

"Always do right. This will gratify some and astonish the rest." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

sweatpea
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  4:49:30 PM  Show Profile Send sweatpea a Private Message
12 rows back, hummm, now let me see?? Yes I would frog back if I couldn't ladder back. I am not saying I have no mistakes in my knitting, but if it something I can fix I will. The trouble is, even if it is an unnoticible mistake, I will show everyone where it is. Yikes! How stupid can I be? But I can't help myself.
Go to Top of Page

KnitSSK
Seriously Hooked

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  5:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnitSSK's Homepage Send KnitSSK a Private Message
If I don't frog it, then I identify the error spot as the "unique" mark, like a birthmark. But, usually I'll frog the whole da** thing if there's the slightest little error.

Martha

Wanting to be knitting, not working...
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9712 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  5:09:54 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
I'll go back and fix a mistake if I see it soon enough; usually, I do. If it's already off the needles, oh well! Then it's just another design element. I've done what GFTC has done, in undoing a sock to get the stripes to match, well, at least a couple of times. Sometimes I just don't care if they do.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

stoogeswoman
Chatty Knitter

102 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  5:46:48 PM  Show Profile Send stoogeswoman a Private Message
Well, I wrote a long response about my latest frogging nightmare, but when I tried to log in to post it, I found out I wasn't entering my username & password weren't correct, so I had to go thru all the steps to retrieve them, and then I couldn't retrieve what I wrote before. So I guess you could say I am "frogging" my way thru this topic!
Go to Top of Page

kadiddly
Permanent Resident

USA
3076 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadiddly's Homepage  Send kadiddly a Yahoo! Message Send kadiddly a Private Message
I just frogged back one of my Jaywalkers to pick up a dropped stitch, but it was only about seven rows back. Normally, I'd ladder down and get it, but it was right on one of the increase stitches and I wasn't quite sure how to handle that. I try to fix things as I notice them, but if it's too far back, isn't going to damage the FO (as a dropped stitch would), and doesn't interrupt the pattern noticeably, I have no problems letting it stand.

I don't smoke, I knit. It relieves stress and tension, smells better, I don't have to go outside to do it, and it won't give me cancer.
Backstage Stitches
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.