Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 frogging & perfection...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  7:01:10 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
I have frogged more lately than usual. I am working on 3 lace shawls and a baby blanket. I say I am doing this to keep my mind sharp, but really I am excited about all these projects, so I allow myself a little bit ea day on ea kinda. Sometimes I get on a roll and work only on one than the next time I pick up another it takes a bit to get into the new one.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  7:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
Thanks for all the input, as many of you may have guessed I am working on something and wondering just how perfect it needs to be. I think that so far the 2 little errors, neither of which I can figure out how to fix, (not dropped stitiches) are going to stay put. I have about 16" done and can't see frogging down 12 of them to fix 2 things that I doubt anyone but me will even see.

*new blog* http://www.samanthainstitches.blogspot.com/

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin agian more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  10:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stacey14

I love laddering down! I have prevented many miles of frogging with this - especially cables!

Hold the phone! You can ladder down on cables?! How does that work without ruining the whole thing? Usually I'm a huge fan of laddering down.. but I didn't know it could be done with cables..

Always learning something with knitting.. Thats one reason I like it so much.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  02:05:24 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Ditzy Girl, sounds like fun and a very good way to keep your mind sharp.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  05:02:25 AM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
I will frog if it's a big problem, ladder back if it's a small one, rip and restart if I have to and there are no alternatives (like adding decorative trim or something) If I notice a small mistake that will be hidden - like in a seam or under my arm or something I'm more likely to leave it alone. I'm not really a perfectionist, but since I put sooo much time and effort into a project I like them to look as good as they can.

I'm particularly likely to fix a mistake if it's a gift for someone; like my dad's socks for christmas. I missed a couple of knit stitches for some ribbing and it messed up the look of the foot. He wouldn't have noticed (maybe) but I HAD to fix it. :) He loves his socks and I'm proud that they're "perfect" for him.

Angela
Go to Top of Page

angelcooper@hotmail.com
Gabber Extraordinaire

541 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:25:43 AM  Show Profile Send angelcooper@hotmail.com a Private Message
I have a bad habit of frogging if I am near the beginning of something and it "just ain't right". I am working on the color on color scarf now and we were riding in the car the other day and somehow I dropped a stitch. I didn't have my crochet hook with me (silly me) and tried to fix it without it - which did not work and it left some kind of unknown stitch in its place. I kept knitting thinking that it would be ok, but it wasn't and I ended up doing what I call - unknitting - to get back to where the boo boo was and fixed it.

I knew that I was not going to be happy with what I saw as a mistake the size of Kansas!!!!! There are many times though that I will let a mistake roll, but if it is crucial to the pattern - it must be fixed. I was working on baby booties for a competition and started them over about 10 times!! I finally had to cut off the first of the yarn and start with a new end.

Angel
Knitting and spinning in the Shenandoah Valley

My blog - http://vaknittingangel.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateTweed
New Pal

43 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:12:49 AM  Show Profile Send ChocolateTweed a Private Message
It's funny how sensitive our eyes and personality can be towards small imperfections... especially if you feel that it will be a reflection on your talents and abilities . I hate thinking that others will notice my mistakes, and think that I gave them an "imperfect" gift. But more than that, I hate knowing I could have fixed it... and didn't. And that's why approximately every inch I do a Quality-Control Inspection. It's easier to frog one inch than 6 or 7.

Oh! and what about that little voice inside you that keeps telling you that what you're doing isn't going to work... and you keep knitting?... only to frog it all later! Don't know about you, but I really need to listen to myself more often! ChocolateTweed

Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateTweed

Oh! and what about that little voice inside you that keeps telling you that what you're doing isn't going to work... and you keep knitting?... only to frog it all later! Don't know about you, but I really need to listen to myself more often! ChocolateTweed

I totally agree! If something looks like it'll fit a line backer.. it's never going to "magically" shrink to fit a woman whos a size 6. (Not me, my Aunt. lol.)

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:41:15 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I will frog, ladder or tink as a rule to correct a mistake. Cables give me fits so I frog and don't ladder. The only mistake (that I know of) that I never fixed was one itty bitty stitch on a fair isle sweater. I just didn't feel like messing with it and it was on the side under the arm. I can't find it now.
Go to Top of Page

Inkmama
Seriously Hooked

891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  12:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Inkmama's Homepage Send Inkmama a Private Message
I frogged a few inches of my birch shawl and began again because the mistakes were too massive. I'm about seven inches into my second birch, and messed up a bit, but this time I didn't frog. Every 16 rows there's a repeat, so I figured I'd get it right the next time. Then I read on Mason-Dixon something to the effect of, If you can't see the mistake from a dancing pony, keep on going. You can't see the mistake from a pony standing still, even, so I didn't frog.

Barbara

Writing blog: http://penonfire.blogspot.com

Knitting blog: http://knittingonfire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
quote:
How much of a perfectionist are you when knitting? Less so than I am in many other areas of my life - they aren't mistakes, they're design opportunities! Unless it's an example piece for students...then I DO try for flawless.

Will you frog 12 inches of a wrap if you notice one little mistake at the bottom? Like many others, it depends on whether it's something that will bother me every time I look at the wrap, to the extent that I don't wear it because of that mistake. Then I'll frog. If I can't see it from arms-length, and will never see it in the finished wrap, I probably won't bother. The sole exception to that is if I'm using it for a pattern/example piece for students. Then I'll frog.

Can you let a tiny error go? Again, that arms-length test - if I can't see it at that distance, it's unlikely anyone else is going to be that close to me.

Can you let two tiny errors go? Well....that starts to get annoying. Probably not.

Does your WIP have to be perfect? No, WIPs are subject to frogging until completed and declared acceptable.

What are your limits? I have no limits! I should probably say I don't accept that I might have limitations...oh, you mean with knitting? I don't know. I'll normally fix more than one mistake no matter how much frogging is needed. But one tiny error...probably I won't frog for that.

Just curious...

I'm glad you were curious - I've learned several things about myself as a knitter by answering your questions!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

suek137
Chatty Knitter

340 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  1:05:40 PM  Show Profile Send suek137 a Private Message
oops, I continued the leg pattern to the foot needle on DH's sock(worsted weight boot sock). So, there are 3 purl stitches that should actually be knit. They are about 10 rows down. Would you bother to ladder down? I'm not concerned so much about the look, but the princess and the pea comes to mind. Will his sensitive tootsies feel the 3 little bumps -:)
Plus, I'm not that skilled with laddering down and run the risk of totally screwing up.
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message
This is timely since I was wondering about this in the sock forum recently. I was trying to decide whether to frog a sock or not because of a tiny gusset hole. In the end, I decided to darn the hole after I finished the sock. I'm so glad I didn't let my perfectionist tendencies make me start from scratch! The sock came out great & you can't even see the hole (and it doesn't bother me like I thought it might that there was once a hole there). I updated in my blog.

I agree, though, that if I'm making a gift for someone, I'm more likely to frog. I made a baby blanket for a relative last year & I started over 3 times, but it was relatively close to the beginning, so it didn't bother me. I guess that's why I'm a slow knitter--I'm really not proficient enough to go back & fix my mistakes.

Knitting addict since November '03

http://cozyknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sweatpea
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  10:36:58 AM  Show Profile Send sweatpea a Private Message
Am I the only one who is apt to "show" everyone where the mistake is when they are admirering my work? That is why if possible I will frog and fix.
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  12:02:09 PM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
sweatpea, you're not the only one. I used to do it all the time and sometimes still do. I finally learned to keep my mouth shut most of the time though, and accept the compliment. Whether or not the work is perfect or my best work or not - I still made it, and if I'm wearing or carrying it - then it must be good enough for public eyes.

Angela
Go to Top of Page

sweatpea
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  8:27:17 PM  Show Profile Send sweatpea a Private Message
Glad to know I am not alone.
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  08:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
Oh, I used to point out the mistakes in my work or downplay the skill it took to create something, too. I think it has something to do with being uncomfortable with praise. I still squirm when someone gushes about something I've made but I'm not at the stage where I feel the need to point out that it's not "perfect" anymore. I still blush but I'm learning to own that warm feeling of pride in myself.

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by