Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When am I going to knit it all?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  3:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message
I've been keeping a list going of future projects I'd like to knit. This is separate from my list of Christmas gifts I plan to do. Every time I get a new knitting mag (or even look through old ones), I see something else & am constantly adding to the list. At this rate, I can't DIE because there's so many things I want to do before then! Anybody else having the "so many projects, so little time" dilemma?

Knitting addict since November '03

http://cozyknits.blogspot.com/

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  3:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Let's just say I left work today for an hour ("I need some air")and went home to pick up the gusset stitches on my newest sock project.

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

Boondoggled
Chatty Knitter

USA
305 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  4:29:25 PM  Show Profile Send Boondoggled a Private Message
The Yarn Harlot talked about the much related SABLE - stash acquisition beyond life expectancy. What you have (and it's only you, ok? ;-) is planned project enthusiasm beyond life expectancy, which does not make as cool an acronym, so sorry about that. Honestly though, many of us have eyes bigger than our knitting needles, so to speak.

Now I have to go order that pattern I just have to have, but won't be able to knit for three years...
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  4:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Okay, you know there is absolutely nothing wrong with being immortal due to having too much to do. Anyway, no one leaves an empty inbox when they go. Why should their knitting basket be any different?

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  5:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Okay that acronym is not so bad.....looks like PPEBLE....not so bad!

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  5:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I intend to leave a little junk as possible for my friends and family to pick up. It has always seemed WAY TOO STRESSFUL to go through dead people's junk. Why put someone else through that??

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2006 :  9:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message
The list just never ends....ohhh the life of knitters.

[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/yarncollecter.gif[/IMG]
~Courtney [IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/knitting.gif[/IMG]
A Full Stash is a Happy Stash!!
http://crzyboutcrochet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarncrazy
Warming Up

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  06:28:06 AM  Show Profile Send yarncrazy a Private Message
This topic hit home with me - I just said to my husband that I can't die because of all the projects I have in front of me. However, I remember after my mother passed away, my father kept finding trash bags full of yarn months later and I just gave them away (DUH!). Now, I'm telling my family that I will leave a list of books, needles, yarn and they can sell them on Ebay. Wish Ebay was around 25 years ago when I had all that yarn to deal with. One nice thing I found was a half finished sampler afghan and I finished it and gave it to my mother-in-law for Christmas that year. Will just have to knit faster or live longer or both.

Lois in MA
http://hopingtoretire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  08:24:16 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
Cozy, you just said you were keeping a wish list, you didn't indicate that you bought yarn for those projects. Some things will remain on your wish list and some won't. You're only in danger if you have a stash too.

I've got a big sock yarn stash, but I have "plans" for all the other yarn. The problem is when my yearly input is greater than the output. I try to remain disciplined and not buy more yarn until a project has been completed.
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  08:45:37 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I can't answer for you, but I know that my answer would be "I'm not!"

However, generally speaking, I don't keep a to-do list of projects. I tend to 'fall in love at first sight' and have to start it immediately. Patterns (or ideas) that get filed tend not to get made.

I'm also fairly disciplined about printing out patterns. If I'm not going to do it right now, there's no reason to print it out right now - it can be stored far more easily on my computer. Of course, every now and then, I think I'm goign to start it, but I don't.

Barbara
It's a feature, not a bug.

Photos:
Blog:

Go to Top of Page

brown-eyed purl
Chatty Knitter

182 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  09:44:13 AM  Show Profile Send brown-eyed purl a Private Message
I think it's perfectly okay. After all, there's a few I wanted to make 2 years ago that I'm not into now. Perhaps some will get taken off the list or pushed farther down?

I just figure I won't be bored and just sitting around for the rest of my life. Lots to do and interest me!
Go to Top of Page

denmark
Gabber Extraordinaire

377 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  11:59:12 AM  Show Profile Send denmark a Private Message
One idea...teach someone to knit, and leave your yarn to them in the event of an untimely end...that way, your yarn becomes immortal, even if we're not!

Just a suggestion...

Beth
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  12:02:16 PM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
I don't keep a list of things to work on. I figure that if I remember a certain project when I feel like knitting something, then it's worth knitting. Or at least it's worth looking up again and starting the wheels turning. Since there are so many patterns out and more coming out I know there's always going to be something I would like to knit on and I can always look through my back issues of mags to see if there was something I missed.

Angela
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  12:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
Okay, for the record, the yarn will be the least of their worries.

I am thinking about the piles of magazines, old clothes, and other sentimental crap that we all have. all the more reason for the 1 year rule....if you ain't touched it in a year, get RID of it.

Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  4:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
I don't keep a list either but I do have a stash of patterns that could be considered skeery if it was believed that I actually intend to make each and every one. *I* don't believe that so no one else should either. >g< I try to be really disciplined about not actually buying the yarn for a large project unless I am going to knit it. My yarn stash has more to do with odd bits and left over skeins and handspun that I've fallen in love with in small enough quantities that I can justify it to myself rather than huge piles of yarn in amounts that could be knit into adult size sweaters, queen size afghans or large shawls and the like. OK, I *do* have a slight problem with sock yarn but that's a discussion for another day...

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  7:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Atavistic

I intend to leave a little junk as possible for my friends and family to pick up. It has always seemed WAY TOO STRESSFUL to go through dead people's junk. Why put someone else through that??

Amanda

Says the girl with about a gajillion finished sweaters : P

I currently have a backlog of projects.. but I'm not worrying about them outliving me.. yet.. lol.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  8:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kimaroo

quote:

Amanda

Says the girl with about a gajillion finished sweaters : P

Hepburn style at least! SOMEONE can wear them!

Amanda

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  10:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
quote:

Hepburn style at least! SOMEONE can wear them!

Lol.. I'd wear one : ) But I don't think you'll be dying much sooner (or later? Or something..) than I will.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  08:14:52 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
I have stash ammassed beyond life expectancy and it just keeps on growing. At least it doesn't really harm anyone.
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  10:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by msgb

I have stash ammassed beyond life expectancy and it just keeps on growing. At least it doesn't really harm anyone.

Right! So long as it doesn't fall on anyone & crush them with its weight, what's the problem??

I only have yarn for about half of the Christmas gifts I plan to do this year which means *whispers* I'll have to buy more. But I SWEAR it's all going into gifts, so that's OK, isn't it?

Knitting addict since November '03

http://cozyknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I vote for going away for a weekend, even if it is a hotel room in your own city. Put up that do not disturb sign and have a torrid three way with you, your yarn and your needles!

Having a big stash might seem harmless, and in a way it is, but honestly after seeing my poor brither in law have to deal with his parents' "harmless" colelctions and stashes of stuff after their deaths, I'd not wish it upon anyone. At my age I sure hope I'm far from passing over but just in case I've been getting rid of stuff. Even when we went on our recent cruise, the only souvenirs we have are our photos, some postcards and a couple magnets.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.