Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Natural Dyes
 cochineal in food
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sanity101
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
594 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  8:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit sanity101's Homepage Send sanity101 a Private Message
I know this is slightly off-topic, but I was amused by an article I read today about a minor uproar about labeling cochineal (I think I'm remembering that spelling correctly, sorry if no) when it's used as a coloring in foods. Apparently it currently falls under 'natural color added' or something unspecific like that. I could sympathize with those with allergies, or objections to it being non-kosher, but kinda has to laugh at all the people completely freaking out at the idea of trace ammounts of highly processed bug in their food (which seemed to be the main lobby). Best not to think too hard about exactly where your food comes from
-C

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  9:12:19 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I must respectfully disagree. I'm vegetarian and no way will I eat ground up bug in my food.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  10:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
cochineal has been used for thousands of years as a red dye and food coloring.. (especially in asia)

its given english the words carmine, scarlet, crimsom, and other 'red' synonyms.

as for alergies, 10 to 40 people in US have had reactions in the past 15 years.. (or less than 1, at most 3, people per year! )
if your bothered about eating bugs, give up figs too. (don't ask why unless you are sure you want to know!)

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  06:29:10 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Although I'm not vegitarian, I agree with Mokey. This needs to be disclosed for people who are, especially if it is for religeous reasons, IMHO. We have restaurants around here that are for such strict vegitarians that they do not even serve root vegitables, because bug die in the process of harvesting them (I can't recall the name for this type of vegi - it's Indian, and we have a fairly large population of people from India in this area, some of whom practice this). I'm very sure that these people would feel it extremely important to disclose this ingredient's presence in their food!
Go to Top of Page

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
It's Jainism I think....not sure if that is the term for the food tho.

Personally, always thought this was arrogant....the whole animals are life, but plants aren't thing anyway.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  11:32:57 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
From what I understand Jews are forbidden to eat certain produce(broccoli?) because it harbours some type of bug.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  1:02:17 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
I believe you're right - Jainism. I don't think that's the word for the food. I'll have to ask DH as he has gone to that restaurant a few times with coworkers. Ironically, they were shut down recently for food poisoning problems - something usually associated with raw meat!
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  2:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
there are many religious groups in india that advocate vegitarianism.

Jainism is one. some some Hindu's also are vegetarian, and there are other groups that are vegitarian.

and yes, in general, judism prohibits eating of insects, (there are 2 or 3 exceptions, Locust is the one i remember, but i know its not the only one.)
(most western europeans also don't eat insects..but its not for regilious reasons. just cultural tastes.)

See my photo albums of knitting. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/
Go to Top of Page

MMario
Permanent Resident

2208 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  2:15:44 PM  Show Profile Send MMario a Private Message
mokey - there is almost no way you can *avoid* eating bug in your food if you buy *ANY* commercial products, eat any form of grain product or many vegetables.

MMario - I don't live in the 21st century - but I play a character who does.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  2:18:31 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I understand that creepy crawlies work their way into food stuffs. However, if they are *deliberately* added then I think I have a right to know.

Go to Top of Page

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  4:56:19 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
Lobsters are in the arachnid family, in other words: spiders. Yes, Amanda, your vacation in Maine will be noted for the consumption of SPIDERS!

Kind of makes you wonder what the insides of other bugs must taste like, as lobster is so delicious.

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues (1954)
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  7:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Um, lobsters are not arachnids. They are, like spiders, members of the phylum Arthropoda (literally, "jointed foot"), but spiders are class Arachnida whereas lobsters are subphylum Crustacea, class Malacostraca. To say that lobsters are spiders because they are both of the same phylum would be like saying humans are catfish because they are both phylum Chordata.

But back on topic: one eats so many bugs in their lifetime via food contamination, accidental ingestion (ask me about the Raisin Bran sometime), or otherwise (such as part of the normal diet of their culture) that the tiny bit of beetle used to color food isn't worth worrying about. At least not to me personally. I recognize that others may--and do!--feel differently.

I used to have an article that talked about how much contamination in food (insect parts, rat hair, etc.) is allowed by government standards as "natural" and "normal." Rather horrifying, really. . . wish I knew where it was. . .
--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the
most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny.'" --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  7:34:23 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Susan,
Hope you find it - that article might just be what I need to kick start my diet!
Kristi

My blog at KristiKnits.com
[img]http://www.kristiknits.com/images/KristiKnits_Logo_Green.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  1:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I didn't find the original article on maximum allowable food contamination, but I did find these links:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/dalbook.html#CHPT3 (scroll down a bit for the lists)

http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/publish/article_1792.shtml

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ythfacts/bugfood/bugfood2.htm scroll down to Discussion 3

http://drirene.healthandage.com/qa3/qa160181.htm

Bon apetit!

--Susan etc.
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  2:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I accidentally ate a lady bug once
(don't ask)
and let me tell you
it was AWEFUL..........ewwwwwwwwwwww
talk about foul tasting...
No wonder most birds do not eat beetles
ewwwwwwwww

vi
sooooooooooo
tell me about the figs......????

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

The Crafty One
Chatty Knitter

USA
185 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  3:12:58 PM  Show Profile Send The Crafty One a Private Message
Mokey,

I am Jewish and was raised with a religious background, so I can correctly answer your question about broccoli. Jews aren't forbidden to eat broccoli. Jewish law states that everything we eat must be inspected, however green and leafy vegetables must be inspected most vigorously. Even after inspection, it must be scrubbed. However, if a particular crop in a certain region or season is known to be infested, there are two choices: either avoid it for that season or examine it carefully for insects before eating.

Of troy, you are correct about the locusts. There are are four edible types of locusts permitted to be eaten according to the laws of the Torah. However, Jewish people nowadays wouldn't knowingly eat insects, whether or not it's permissible. Incidentally, locusts is one of the ten plagues set upon the Egyptians by G-d, to punish them until the Pharaoh agreed to release the Jews from slavery, which is the holiday we are celebrating now, Passover.

Leslie Solomon
Go to Top of Page

ForestBird
Chatty Knitter

USA
265 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  6:22:13 PM  Show Profile Send ForestBird a Private Message
And to reward the locusts for prodding Pharoah to let the Jews go, you are allowed to eat them?

"Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern."
Alfred North Whitehead, Dialogues (1954)
Go to Top of Page

Kelly B
Permanent Resident

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  8:05:56 PM  Show Profile Send Kelly B a Private Message
Well, maybe there wasn't anything else left after that, until the manna...
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  05:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
actually, there is a tree called a locust (native to new world and old world) and its not clear if the locust that are permitted by kosher law is the seeds of the tree, or the bug!

(generally speaking almost all plant life is ok, if its clean and bug free.. so why make a special comment on a locust tree? on the other hand, if all bugs but one are taboo..)

locust tree's bear pods, like giant pea pods, that turn brown, and drop to the ground in the fall the seeds inside are gobbled up quickly by birds and squirrels.

(i am 99% sure that carobs (trees) are a kind locust--(after all we call them Acorns, not oaknuts).. it could be the seed is a carob, but the tree is a locust. (and since the locust i know are New world variety, and the carob seed comes from an old world variety of tree....)

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  6:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
EUUUUUUUUUUWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

~Sarah Elizabeth
 Spinners make the world go round.
Keep on knitting on!
http://knitonespintoo.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2006 :  05:42:08 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knottyknitter

Although I'm not vegitarian, I agree with Mokey. This needs to be disclosed for people who are, especially if it is for religeous reasons, IMHO. [snip]

It is disclosed. It's in the labeling.
Don't drink Hawaiian punch.

Jeri
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth