Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 Do I dare?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  6:42:15 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
We've been married for 6 1/2 years, and his favorite sweater (not knit by me!) just went at the elbows. I'm thinking simple sweater with only a few cables in a yummy merino. Am I a fool?

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  7:02:40 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
NO, knit him the sweater.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  12:06:48 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
I agree! Your husband will love it and you'll enjoy doing it.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  04:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
I'm sure he'd love it. Might be better not to get too creative, though --something simple, tightly-knitted and maybe a bit tweedy to give him that male roughage thing.

Jane Untangled
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  04:55:27 AM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I think the curse only applies if you're dating, not if you're married. The idea seems to be that if you make this big gesture of domesticity, guy freaks out and leaves. Or it may be that he doesn't appreciate it, you resent it, and you leave. Or it may be that women tend to try big domestic gestures in dating relationships when they're feeling uncertain about how things are going, so the relationship happens to have run its course about the time the sweater is finished. None of those scenarios apply (I hope) once you're married.
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  12:08:45 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Is there any way you could unravel the remaining sweater and knit it into a new one? That way he still gets the fabric he liked so much. You could always strecth out the supply by knitting the welt in a different yarn.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Brooke
Warming Up

89 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  4:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brooke's Homepage Send Brooke a Private Message
I think you should knit it. When I first decided to learn my husband teased me about it. And I still refuse to make him anything and he is always asking me to. You should definitely knit him a sweater. He will love it!
Go to Top of Page

knitgray
Warming Up

57 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile Send knitgray a Private Message
How big are the holes at the elbows? You could do what I did with one of DH's sweaters which were getting thin at the elbows. I switched the sleeves moving the worn parts to the inside of the elbows. You could mend the sweater and then take your time knitting him a new one! He'll love you for being so thoughtful. My DH loves his original and replacement sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  5:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
Alternatively, you could patch the elbows with those leather ovals you can buy - it looks a little Grandad-ish but if the sweater was tweedy, aran, cabled, or any classic style then it often looks nice while giving you years more use out of a favourite garment.

Not that I am trying to stop you from knitting a new one. I wish mine would wear sweaters. Sigh. He never gets cold - and living in the sub-tropical Northland doesn't help!

It is worth bearing in mind what sort of use and washing care this new sweater will be getting before choosing the yarn and fibre content. If this is an outdoorsy kind of guy who wears sweaters to keep him warm while chopping down trees and wrestling cattle then merino might be a delicate, perhaps?

Eclair
Go to Top of Page

ker
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  6:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ker a Yahoo! Message Send ker a Private Message
I thank youur husband would appreciate a new sweater knitted by his wife of 6 and half years. If he worn the old sweater intil the elbows are worn, he would wear the sweater. I would measure the old sweater for the fit of the new sweater since he like it so much.

Ker
Go to Top of Page

akt
Warming Up

83 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  6:28:14 PM  Show Profile Send akt a Private Message
Oh, he'll love it. Take good measurements of his current sweater so you know what size/fit he likes. And let him try the guage swatch to be sure it's soft enough against his neck, arms, and face. Men can be rather picky. My husband wears all the sweaters I made for him, including the itchy over-sized first one I made. (He also eats everything I cook - good and not-to-good!)
Go to Top of Page

Dakota122503
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  6:02:20 PM  Show Profile Send Dakota122503 a Private Message
knit it!! 6 and 1/2 years can't be erased by a sweater!

Wife to Brandon 7/8/00 Mommy to Mathias 11/12/05
[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/qp2zhi.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

Valk_scot
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1281 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  01:04:57 AM  Show Profile Send Valk_scot a Private Message
Does he like handmade sweaters? Does he want one?

I know my Hubby would quite like a sweater knitted by me, but that`s because he likes wearing sweaters. He wouldn`t care if I made it or the shop. He wouldn`t go around glowing with pride or treating it any better. And I know the first time it ended up on the floor or covered with paint from his toy soldiers that I would be simmering with resentment. I did knit him one many, many years ago...simple stitch, great colour...and he treated it as above. Bah.....

(Despite this, I do have a bag of Sirdar Indigo sitting in the stash with his name on it....)

I think that after 6 1/2 years you can be fairly confident that your Hubby won`t freak out over the commitment of a sweater though! Have a look at his favourite sweater, holes and all. What makes it his favourite? Colour? Texture? Yarn? Keep whatever it is in mind when choosing what to knit. And ask his opiniuon. He may have loved the sweater, but have liked it two inches longer or something. Or a bit looser or tighter.

And first off, mend his old faithful sweater. You`re probably not going to have time to knit something complex by the end of this winter anyway, and he`ll get cold! Leather patches do look quite nice on the right sort of sweater. And no-one has mentioned good old fashioned darning, or whatever you call it in America.

Val.

http://spinningfishwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  08:46:00 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi NaProus,

Just wondering, who knitted the first sweater for him? Or was it a store bought one?

Just curious.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  08:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I've been married for 6 1/2 years too, and can say with complete confidence that my DH loves the sweater I made for him. He's been wearing it on a regular basis all winter, and delights in telling everyone at work that his wife made it for him. (He tells me there are several female coworkers who are in awe of me.)

I would be sure to include a DH in all matters concerning yarn and pattern selection. I personally think that has more to do with it than any silly curse.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  12:02:02 PM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
Wow, this thread is still going on!

Let's see... the other sweater was a storebought one. I can't remember if it was one of mine that he stole, or one my mother bought him.

Last weekend in Montreal, I bought yarn for his sweater -- he helped me create the blend of various threads from La Bobineuse. And now I'm swatching and checking with him about stitch patterns! So I think this will work.

Alas, I have never figured out darning, and don't think I ever will. And the leather patch idea would just be too tweedy and academic for my Italian husband, I'm afraid. We ARE academics, which just makes it worse! We do live in Vermont, though, so I'm not TOO worried about him not being able to wear it until next winter... he'll find a way.

Thank you, everyone, for all your ideas and encouragement. I'm going ahead with it, and I'm feeling good about it!

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html
Go to Top of Page

yarn forever
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  3:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarn forever's Homepage Send yarn forever a Private Message
My DH of 7 years get a sweater a year: 2nd year cable, 3rd year fair isle and so on . He loves all of them and always shows them off. Good luck with your sweater!
Roxy in NY

www.roxyyarns.com/store
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.