Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 Knitting as Therapy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joyce in chicago
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  08:18:52 AM  Show Profile Send Joyce in chicago a Private Message
I recently received a wonderful photo of my son standing "somewhere" in the western Al Anbar province of Iraq. The caption read: "a really cold day....so glad to have warm things to wear!' He had his helmet off (sigh) sporting one of the several hats that I have knitted for him during his deployments. This particular hat was made to fit tightly on his head under his protective helmet. Of course, it was khaki colored. On his hands were gloves sent to him from his country of birth -Chile!

Knitting as therapy? You bet! Every stitch bears a prayer that surrounds him with love and a deep spiritual connection a world away. For a mother, knitting has been the solace for my anxiety not to mention blood pressure! Currently I am knitting him socks to wear under his well worn combat boots! I wish that I had time to make a hat for every Marine, Soldier, Air Man, and Sailor standing watch in harm's way. With every stitch, I say a prayer not only for my son but for every child in the combat zone.

Joyce in Chicago
Mother of Major Sam Carrasco, USMC

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  12:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message
Awww, how nice. I know soldiers are always happy to receive things from home, so it's probably even better when it's something hand-made because they know someone took the time to make that for them.

Knitting addict since November '03

http://cozyknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cozy
Chatty Knitter

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  12:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cozy's Homepage Send Cozy a Private Message
Awww, how nice. I know soldiers are always happy to receive things from home, so it's probably even better when it's something hand-made because they know someone took the time to make that for them.

Knitting addict since November '03

http://cozyknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  5:24:56 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
You're such a good mom. You could always knit an extra hat or whatever and send it along with your son's so he could pass it on to someone else. It would be a lovely reason to knit a little extra And so you know my DH and I (and a lot of people elsewhere) pray for all our troops every night.

Di,the cross country knitter

life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away
Go to Top of Page

petitemorte
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  5:24:56 PM  Show Profile Send petitemorte a Private Message
You're such a good mom. You could always knit an extra hat or whatever and send it along with your son's so he could pass it on to someone else. It would be a lovely reason to knit a little extra And so you know my DH and I (and a lot of people elsewhere) pray for all our troops every night.

Di,the cross country knitter

life is not measured by the breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away
Go to Top of Page

knitjenn
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  10:31:31 PM  Show Profile Send knitjenn a Private Message
Does your son have a helmetliner? I've knit a couple and wonder how they're received. Is the weather beginning to turn colder now? We're all wishing you ad your son and all the troops well.

Colleen in wy
Go to Top of Page

knitjenn
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  10:31:31 PM  Show Profile Send knitjenn a Private Message
Does your son have a helmetliner? I've knit a couple and wonder how they're received. Is the weather beginning to turn colder now? We're all wishing you ad your son and all the troops well.

Colleen in wy
Go to Top of Page

elliela
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  10:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit elliela's Homepage Send elliela a Private Message
Hi Joyce,

Just know all our thoughts and prayers are with you and your son.

It must be so frightening for you and your family having him so far away in Iraq. Here's hoping he finishes his tour soon and comes home, safe and sound.

All my best,
Ellen

See what I'm up to at:
http://naturallycurly.blogspot.com

I've got another blog here: http://www.lionbrand.com/lbyarnblog5
Go to Top of Page

elliela
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  10:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit elliela's Homepage Send elliela a Private Message
Hi Joyce,

Just know all our thoughts and prayers are with you and your son.

It must be so frightening for you and your family having him so far away in Iraq. Here's hoping he finishes his tour soon and comes home, safe and sound.

All my best,
Ellen

See what I'm up to at:
http://naturallycurly.blogspot.com

I've got another blog here: http://www.lionbrand.com/lbyarnblog5
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  02:00:02 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
Joyce, I think it's wonderful that you find comfort in your knitting and that your son enjoys the fruits of your labor. May God bless him and all who serve.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  02:00:02 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
Joyce, I think it's wonderful that you find comfort in your knitting and that your son enjoys the fruits of your labor. May God bless him and all who serve.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

Joyce in chicago
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  06:13:45 AM  Show Profile Send Joyce in chicago a Private Message
Thank you to my fellow knitters for your prayers and well wishes for our son. Sam has passed along a number of the items that I have knitted for him to fellow Marines. One hat, as described by him, made him look like a large Q TIP! He doesn't have a helmet liner. It seems that the liner design interfers with the "wires" that he needs to have easy access to for communication. He does wear a scarf muffled tightly. The weather is "cold" and damp. The desert brings the night chill. As this is his third combat tour, the conditions have not surprised him. We are counting the days now until his return home...hopefully mid April.

Joyce in Chicago
Go to Top of Page

Joyce in chicago
New Pal

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  06:13:45 AM  Show Profile Send Joyce in chicago a Private Message
Thank you to my fellow knitters for your prayers and well wishes for our son. Sam has passed along a number of the items that I have knitted for him to fellow Marines. One hat, as described by him, made him look like a large Q TIP! He doesn't have a helmet liner. It seems that the liner design interfers with the "wires" that he needs to have easy access to for communication. He does wear a scarf muffled tightly. The weather is "cold" and damp. The desert brings the night chill. As this is his third combat tour, the conditions have not surprised him. We are counting the days now until his return home...hopefully mid April.

Joyce in Chicago
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?