Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The strangest place you've ever knit publicly
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

anotherbev
Warming Up

90 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:07:02 PM  Show Profile Send anotherbev a Private Message
Strangest place was elementary school basketball game practices--in my car with ceiling light on in snow--also, at basketball games; but, I did manage to sell a lot of purses doing the public knitting thing!
Go to Top of Page

njzube@aol.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:09:10 PM  Show Profile Send njzube@aol.com a Private Message
On second thought, I took my husband's ashes to be placed on the San Francisco Bay by myself. I was so alone! I took my knitting out and had an immediate circle of friends, knitters, even two from Germany.
Go to Top of Page

RavenSky
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit RavenSky's Homepage Send RavenSky a Private Message
I knitted in the tattoo parlor in RI while waiting to get my latest tattoo. I had to stop when the tattoo artist started because even though I moved minimally while knitting the muscles still twitched slightly so he was worried it might interfere with the design. I think I was the first customer he had ever had to ask to put down their knitting The tat turned out great!

Debbie Swift
Warren, CT

"Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax & get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

knitnerd
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:32:09 PM  Show Profile Send knitnerd a Private Message
I knit at Neutral Ground, a gaming store in Manhattan, when I go there for Boardgame and DnD meetups.

I don't have the "exotic weapon proficiency,knitting needles feat" but I got a natural 20 on my bluff check.
Go to Top of Page

elspethm
Chatty Knitter

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit elspethm's Homepage Send elspethm a Private Message
I just recently knit during the setup for my California real estate broker's exam. Hey - I had a project to finish and we were just sitting there waiting for it to start! I was the only one doing anything other than sitting there staring into space.

I've also knit while walking before. One time someone said to me "I've never seen anyone knit while walking before." and I said "What can I say, I like to multitask!"

But I'd say the strangest was on the cross country machine at the gym.

Elspeth

Elspeth
Silicon Valley, CA
http://ladybug326.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

xntrick
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:39:08 PM  Show Profile Send xntrick a Private Message
I knitted for hours and hours out on a sidewalk outside a theater waiting in line for a Star Wars midnight-opening show. Earned odd, vertically wavy tan lines on my arms as a result.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  10:50:25 PM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I guess that knitting while in the hospital in labor, would count?
Go to Top of Page

gururamdas
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:02:17 PM  Show Profile Send gururamdas a Private Message
The dentist. What a difference! I take easy garter only scarf to knit & we laugh about how it calms me down; it's wonderful! Just lay back in the chair while he works on me (unfortunately needed lots work) & knit away. A few times he has asked me to momentarily stop while he works an odd angle. I dont get uptight with the drilling sound, etc, any more & the entire staff loves my stuff! Am now a favorite patient instead of uptight wreck! Highly recommend it!
Go to Top of Page

tmpalmer@gmail.com
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:22:29 PM  Show Profile Send tmpalmer@gmail.com a Private Message
I pretty much knit where ever I am, if I have a few minutes to sit and a piece of work with me. I've been known to knit at the library, in friends' cars, and I regularly knit on the bus. I used to get some strange looks when I started, but now most people just take it for granted and might even watch for a moment or ask me what I'm making.
Go to Top of Page

zanstamp@cableone.net

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  12:24:11 AM  Show Profile Send zanstamp@cableone.net a Private Message
i was on the beach in antigua knitting, people looked at me funny, especially as i was knitting a very warm scarf for my son out of possum wool. as it leaks fuzz as you knit i was covered with fur. at least it blew away as i knit. was great fun. had to do it before i put on sunscreen tho as it would stick afterwards.

zan
Go to Top of Page

Kimaroo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  12:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kimaroo's Homepage Send Kimaroo a Private Message
I knit once at the table at IHOP.. The waitress thought it was interesting.. Come to think of it I accidentally left my pattern on the table.. I wonder if she picked it up?

I also have knitted while waiting to get into a fancy Houston restaurant. The wait there is usually atleast an hour.. sometimes an hour and a half.. I think my dad was embarassed but I don't mind.. lol.

Allthough they don't seem strange to me either... the tank though.. I think that's the winner so far.. lol.

-Kim-

The Kimmish Knitting Blog
Travelling Cables Cardigan KAL
Go to Top of Page

jamesedwinsneed
Chatty Knitter

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  01:59:46 AM  Show Profile Send jamesedwinsneed a Private Message
I knit as I caddy for my youngest son's golf tournaments. It helps keep my fingers warm when the weather out there is brisk (yep, even SC gets nippy in February). I just take a small project that doesn't have complicated instructions and stuff it in a coat pocket. I've always liked to multi-task.
Gayle
Go to Top of Page

scarfitup
Chatty Knitter

191 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  04:21:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit scarfitup's Homepage Send scarfitup a Private Message
I sat and knitted with a small group of other disinterested Super Bowl party-ers on Sunday while the rest of the party watched the game. I completed a necklace and got LOTS of attention that could very well lead to more sales! I always multitask, so knitting while talking on the phone (with my headset in place) is the norm for me.
Louise

Scarf It Up!
Wearable Fiber Arts
Blue Moon Showcase
Wilmington NC
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bcartercps
Warming Up

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  04:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit bcartercps's Homepage Send bcartercps a Private Message
I knit everywhere - at work, in the car at llooonnnggg stop lights, at the movies, at dinner (while waiting for the food), at the Outback Restaurant curbside pickup, at school before meetings or plays, at church, on the excercise bike, at hockey games, minor league baseball games, Redskins game, and during the SuperBowl, in the long check out at WalMart the day after Thanksgiving, at the doctor's office, at poker games. And yes, I've even been known to steal away to the restroom for a row or two. I don't think any of that is strange - do you?

~Beth
http://diamondsnpurls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gcbriden
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  05:18:29 AM  Show Profile Send gcbriden a Private Message
I used to knit argyle socks in the movies when I was in college. I guess that dates me.

Gretchen
Go to Top of Page

Jerri
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  05:31:36 AM  Show Profile Send Jerri a Private Message
At a tax seminar. It was December and I had Xmas gifts to finish.
Go to Top of Page

ramsddj@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  06:05:42 AM  Show Profile Send ramsddj@aol.com a Private Message
Probably the strangest place I knit is in bars. In the State of Washington we can't smoke inside so I knit while having a cocktail and visiting with friends on our Wednesday Date Night. Much healthier. At first everyone thought it very odd to see someone knitting in a bar, now everyone is very interested in what I am doing.
Go to Top of Page

Puggles2do
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  06:40:55 AM  Show Profile Send Puggles2do a Private Message
I always get up before my husband and, when we were staying at a hotel, I got up way too early to disturb him, so I took my knitting, wrapped myself in a coat and blanket and sat on the balcony to knit. It started snowing gently, and I was warm enough - it was delightful, and very different
Go to Top of Page

amywine@aol.com

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  06:41:35 AM  Show Profile Send amywine@aol.com a Private Message
My husband said that I should win a lifetime's worth of yarn for this one. I was at church for a funeral of a co-worker's mom and I was knitting during the mass. At funerals, I can be very emotional. I am a very good crier and if I'm concentrating on something like knitting, I don't cry.
Go to Top of Page

thdx3
Seriously Hooked

691 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  06:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit thdx3's Homepage Send thdx3 a Private Message
OK, someone definitely needs to gather these in a book.

I have never been so grateful to have my knitting with me as when I got stuck halfway up a ski lift in the Adirondacks. A wicked storm came out of a clear blue sky; they were able to move some of us to the halfway lodge but DH and DS were stuck at the lodge at the top. I knitted happily along during the two hours it took for them to reunite the family and gather enough jeeps to bring us down the mountain. Knitting, as if you didn't know, rocks.

Terri D. in NYC
off jumps jack
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by