Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Am I weird? I enjoy untangling yarn.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

knitpicker
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:03:16 AM  Show Profile Send knitpicker a Private Message
No I don't go out of my way to make tangles but find it satisfying to undo them when they happen. Sort of like a combination of working a jigsaw puzzle or a crossword puzzle.

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
Mr. Aerospace untangles my yarn for me. He really enjoys it. So while I think you're both weird (: at least you're not the only one.

Amanda,
who
Knits

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:10:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I do too. Very much.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
A close friend of mine loves untangling yarn. (Good thing because her cats and dogs love to mess with her yarn stash.) I usually hand her any nasty snarls that occur in my house because I hate dealing with them. To each his own!

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I will sit and untangle for as long as it takes but I will never take a scissor to it. Then I congratulate myself for having infinite patience and an unlimited attention span but I keep that as my little secret.

GFTC of NYC

pictures of FO socks:
www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

momo526
Warming Up

70 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:28:11 AM  Show Profile Send momo526 a Private Message
I definitely enjoy untangling yarn. I also enjoy untangling necklace chains and shoelaces. DH can not understand it all and laughs about it.

Michaelene
Go to Top of Page

AngieSue
Permanent Resident

USA
1606 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:53:52 AM  Show Profile Send AngieSue a Private Message
Count me in!! I can untangle for hours without losing my patience. This particular skill or quirk comes in handy during fishing season when lines get knotted or tangled. DH loses his patience in about 5 seconds whereas I can sit there in 90 degree weather and untangle every line.

Angie
Go to Top of Page

Knotty_Knitter
Warming Up

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  12:03:36 PM  Show Profile Send Knotty_Knitter a Private Message
Not I.
Nope.
I work rather hard at not having any tangles.
Or knots. However, I will try to remove them, without scissors...(at first, lol)

justine

Oh what a tangled web we knit...
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  12:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
Hey have I got some yarn to send you!!!hehehe

Denise
My blog has moved to KnitChat.com
come on over!
Go to Top of Page

queenmaxine
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit queenmaxine's Homepage Send queenmaxine a Private Message
We have three dogs. A terrier mix who has no interest in yarn whatsoever(the grumpy old man of the bunch), a MinPin, and a Yorkie puppy. No matter how carefully I put yarn away, the Yorkie and the MinPin have a yarn party at every chance. When the yarn party is over, or discovered, they have complete innocent looks on their cute little faces. Untangling the yarn party is all part of the therapy for me. It is also something of an ongoing art project as I take a pic of the tangled web each time this happens. I envision the photos in an exhibition alongside the finished objects someday.

My DW looks at me and says "Just go get another skein of that instead of going through all that trouble." Of course I take this as permission to go buy more yarn.

My blog is not strictly knitting, but there are occasional WIP updates and frustration or bragging rants as I am a new knitter.

www.nolanoni.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Schachkoenigin
Chatty Knitter

166 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  2:50:21 PM  Show Profile Send Schachkoenigin a Private Message
My mother is like that. She'll say, "Oh, you're untangling yarn!! Can I please do it?"
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  2:59:08 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
DH loves that challenge (and so do I) so we worked together on two tangled together rug yarn skeins from a weaver's stash this weekend. We got them into three large balls of yarn that will become some felted bags.. I'm hoping some of the goatie smell comes out in the felting. =o)

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YarnGoddess
Permanent Resident

USA
2460 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  09:22:07 AM  Show Profile Send YarnGoddess a Private Message
I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I do have a knack for getting yarn, necklaces, string, whatever, untangled. Zipper is notorious for getting into my stash and making a mess of it. I will painstakingly untangle a skein of yarn before I'll ever take scissors to it.

Elizabeth
Zipper & Diva

A sense of humor can help you tolerate the unpleasant, cope with the unexpected, overlook the unattractive and smile through the unbearable.

To learn more about healthy nutrition for your cat, go here: http://www.catnutrition.org and here: http://www.catinfo.org/
Go to Top of Page

gallant_duck
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  09:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit gallant_duck's Homepage Send gallant_duck a Private Message
It's the satisfaction! I love the feeling of completeness when I manage to figure out where the knot started and how to pull it apart. Like a sudoku, but more fibrous!

I think it might be hereditary: my Dad's great with this sort of thing, too!

emmms

http://erqsome.typepad.com
http://meepful.diaryland.com
Go to Top of Page

Knitmama
Seriously Hooked

USA
682 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  06:20:27 AM  Show Profile Send Knitmama a Private Message
Wow. Want to come over?

Rachel
[IMG]http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

lucienh
Honorary Angel

919 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  06:31:33 AM  Show Profile Send lucienh a Private Message
I don't like untangling yarn, but I enjoy weaving in ends. Is that the same kind of weirdness?
Go to Top of Page

knitpicker
Warming Up

99 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:21:49 AM  Show Profile Send knitpicker a Private Message
lucienh, yes I think it's in the same ballpark. I too enjoy weaving in ends. It's satisfying no brainer work. Like snapping green beans maybe.
Go to Top of Page

MrsD1
Chatty Knitter

284 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile Send MrsD1 a Private Message
I enjoy untangling yarn, but not weaving in ends! You would think they are similar tasks. Untangling yarn is like putting everything to rights. If only all problems could be untangled like yarn.
Go to Top of Page

ikamouse
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:57:08 AM  Show Profile Send ikamouse a Private Message
Funny you should mention it - I just had to untangle a large glob of yarn over the weekend of the snowstorm while stuck at my friends' house in the boondocks of central Massachusetts. I didn't mind it as much as I thought I did. Sitting in front of the fireplace, playing with an alpaca/silk blend, not at all bad. And my friend insisted upon helping me, saying she enjoyed it because reminded her of when she was a child and would untangle yarn for her grandmother or hold up the hank while her grandmother made a ball.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  6:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Boy do I feel better now! I could just hug all of you. I, too, am a yarn detangler. I even enjoy winding balls of yarn without a swift. In fact I prefer to drape the hank on my lap and just slowly wind it that way. I didn't realize this was weird until I did it at my knitting group, and someone asked, "Um, Clara, there are 12 of us here, someone could hold the yarn for you if you'd like..." (and of course I said NO).

End-weavers, you count too!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  6:49:33 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Provided I am not in a rush, then I do enjoy it. I find it helps me chill out because it is one "problem" that I actually have control over. If I decide that the untangling is no longer worth my energy and throw it out, then it is also therapeutic to literally get rid of the problem.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.