Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 It's March, are you still starting winter projects
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  06:28:14 AM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
So here it is cold and snowy still. But I know that it could get warm later this month, or wait until April. I was toying with the idea of making a Lopi cardigan, because I wanted a warm sturdy cardigan. But then I wondered if I'd finish it in time to wear it. (Although I suppose I can wear it on summer vacation to Iceland as a jacket maybe. ;))

Anyway, what are other people starting? Are you sick of winter and thinking of spring projects? Are you trudging along in more seasonal things? (Aussies, maybe you can reverse this.... are you starting winter projects yet?)

I wouldn't be surprised if the clothing stores have bathing suits out already.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  06:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
I'm just not a warm-weather knitter. I hate cotton, I don't like knitted "tops" that aren't full-on sweaters, and if it's cool enough to wear close-toed shoes, for my money it's cool enough for warm socks.

So yes, I'm still working on wintry projects (there's an alpaca shawl in my lap as I type) and I will be right on through the summer!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  06:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
I'm just not a warm-weather knitter. I hate cotton, I don't like knitted "tops" that aren't full-on sweaters, and if it's cool enough to wear close-toed shoes, for my money it's cool enough for warm socks.

So yes, I'm still working on wintry projects (there's an alpaca shawl in my lap as I type) and I will be right on through the summer!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  08:30:44 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Actually, I just started a cardigan this week. It's out of Green Mountain Spinnery's Double Twist yarn, a really stiff, non-elastic wool that I won't be buying again. I like the finished product, but I don't enjoy using it. I'm making Chicknit's Twist sweater, love it. Hoping the sweater will be versatile enough to be a light jacket, but with this wool I'll need a long sleeved shirt under it.

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

pieheart
Permanent Resident

1872 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  08:30:44 AM  Show Profile Send pieheart a Private Message
Actually, I just started a cardigan this week. It's out of Green Mountain Spinnery's Double Twist yarn, a really stiff, non-elastic wool that I won't be buying again. I like the finished product, but I don't enjoy using it. I'm making Chicknit's Twist sweater, love it. Hoping the sweater will be versatile enough to be a light jacket, but with this wool I'll need a long sleeved shirt under it.

pieheart

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday----Dale Carnegie
Check out my album:
http://photobucket.com/albums/a80/PieHeart/
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  08:33:16 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I'm with LittleMousling on this. I'm just not into the summer knits so I'll keep knitting my winter sweaters and such. If it's really hot, I don't like having anything wool or heavy sitting on my lap so I'll tend to knit socks and other small projects. I'm not a real fan of knitting with cotton so that doesn't even appeal to me in the summer.

Of course in Colorado, we will have cooler weather for another 2 to 2 1/2 months so I have plenty of time left. The worst knitting time for me is mid-June through mid-September but I can hike instead!
Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  08:33:16 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I'm with LittleMousling on this. I'm just not into the summer knits so I'll keep knitting my winter sweaters and such. If it's really hot, I don't like having anything wool or heavy sitting on my lap so I'll tend to knit socks and other small projects. I'm not a real fan of knitting with cotton so that doesn't even appeal to me in the summer.

Of course in Colorado, we will have cooler weather for another 2 to 2 1/2 months so I have plenty of time left. The worst knitting time for me is mid-June through mid-September but I can hike instead!
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  09:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
This past couple weeks I've been making a series of cotton "treasure bags" or "techie bags", similar to the top of a sock made the right size to carry a cell phone and house key (or such personal items) and carry over the wrist. can also be used for gift bags, sachet bags, "soap on a rope" type bags, etc. One has cables, one has a texture design, two are made interesting by their shaping. What happened was: I decided to make a couple to show to the LYSO and suggest a class teaching the Magic Loop and/or cables and had so much fun I just kept making them. small & quick to finish, use up odds and ends of left overs.

am about ready to start a cotton short sleeve sweater for spring wear.

Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  09:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
This past couple weeks I've been making a series of cotton "treasure bags" or "techie bags", similar to the top of a sock made the right size to carry a cell phone and house key (or such personal items) and carry over the wrist. can also be used for gift bags, sachet bags, "soap on a rope" type bags, etc. One has cables, one has a texture design, two are made interesting by their shaping. What happened was: I decided to make a couple to show to the LYSO and suggest a class teaching the Magic Loop and/or cables and had so much fun I just kept making them. small & quick to finish, use up odds and ends of left overs.

am about ready to start a cotton short sleeve sweater for spring wear.

Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  09:25:09 AM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message
I have a pile of winter knits that I want to make, but I'm starting to think that I should start working on my summer knits early this year so that I can actually wear them for a good part of the summer. I've started buying new books (Phildar) and some yarn. I'm going through my stash and my pile of UFO. I always have some summer and winter knits on the go, no matter the season. IE, I never finished Lelah from last summer, but I am almost done now. I'm adjusting the top, I don't wear strapless!

I can't wait for summer to come, and to be able to wear the light weight stuff! It can get pretty hot here in summer (close to +40 C), and also very cold in winter (-40 C), so I need the complete range of clothing.

"A gifted teacher is as rare as a gifted doctor, and makes far less money."
Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

qtpieknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
583 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  09:25:09 AM  Show Profile Send qtpieknitter a Private Message
I have a pile of winter knits that I want to make, but I'm starting to think that I should start working on my summer knits early this year so that I can actually wear them for a good part of the summer. I've started buying new books (Phildar) and some yarn. I'm going through my stash and my pile of UFO. I always have some summer and winter knits on the go, no matter the season. IE, I never finished Lelah from last summer, but I am almost done now. I'm adjusting the top, I don't wear strapless!

I can't wait for summer to come, and to be able to wear the light weight stuff! It can get pretty hot here in summer (close to +40 C), and also very cold in winter (-40 C), so I need the complete range of clothing.

"A gifted teacher is as rare as a gifted doctor, and makes far less money."
Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  10:47:26 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I am ready to start on a couple of cotton tanks to use up some yarn in my stash...but I also have the Sunrise Circle jacket that I really want to make. Maybe I'll start on the jacket in the summer, since it will take me forever to get it done.

Oregon, though, doesn't really get summer til the 4th of July...and we're going to Alaska in august...so I could probably rationalize knitting winter stuff for a while now!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4159 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  10:47:26 AM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
I am ready to start on a couple of cotton tanks to use up some yarn in my stash...but I also have the Sunrise Circle jacket that I really want to make. Maybe I'll start on the jacket in the summer, since it will take me forever to get it done.

Oregon, though, doesn't really get summer til the 4th of July...and we're going to Alaska in august...so I could probably rationalize knitting winter stuff for a while now!

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  11:29:37 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I knit winter items year round. Last summer I knitted a Lopi sweater. I wear my knitted socks year round because I find the wool keeps feet drier than cotton.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  11:29:37 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
I knit winter items year round. Last summer I knitted a Lopi sweater. I wear my knitted socks year round because I find the wool keeps feet drier than cotton.

"An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr.
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  3:33:56 PM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
With me, if it's cool enough to handle wool, I knit wool. When it's hot and I can't stand to touch wool, I knit cotton. So I probably will wind up with unfinished wool projects, but that's OK--I'll finish them in the fall. I wear the cotton sweaters as long as it's not extremely cold out but mostly spring and fall (I'm always hot), but my husband wears heavy wool September through May or June (he's always cold). And I don't knit for the current season--I wear many handknitted things that are twenty and thirty years old.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine in NJ
Gabber Extraordinaire

584 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  3:33:56 PM  Show Profile Send Elaine in NJ a Private Message
With me, if it's cool enough to handle wool, I knit wool. When it's hot and I can't stand to touch wool, I knit cotton. So I probably will wind up with unfinished wool projects, but that's OK--I'll finish them in the fall. I wear the cotton sweaters as long as it's not extremely cold out but mostly spring and fall (I'm always hot), but my husband wears heavy wool September through May or June (he's always cold). And I don't knit for the current season--I wear many handknitted things that are twenty and thirty years old.

Life is too short to waste it on acrylic.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  5:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I knit on wool all the time too. I rarely knit cotton. In the hottest parts of summer I just switch to socks or lace instead of a sweater.

If I start something now and don't finish in time to wear before summer hits it will hopefully be done for the fall.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  7:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
I just work on whatever appeals to me at the time regardless of the season. I don't get the "wool being too hot to touch in the summer" thing. I knit with cottons some if they're apporpriate for a given project. I mostly prefer wools.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Hand Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

Larjmarj
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  08:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Larjmarj's Homepage Send Larjmarj a Private Message
That's just it isn't it? March is suddenly here and I still have two scarves on my needles and am looking to start another. Although in my defense...they area a lighter lace weight that I can probably wear until mid-May. Or atleast I'm hoping. What I really need to start on are some cascade socks for summer. Think I'll try two on two circ's this time. I'd like to make some summer tops but I don't know of a good cotton or cotton blend that won't loose it's shape any thoughts? Marj

My Blog
Go to Top of Page

KL
Permanent Resident

6041 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  09:05:37 AM  Show Profile Send KL a Private Message
I knit with wool year around. When it's 100 degrees outside, I just stay inside and knit in the AC.

The way I look at it is that I'm not behind in my Winter knitting- I'm ahead for the next year!KL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?