Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 It's March, are you still starting winter projects
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  3:11:31 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Marj,
For summer tops, I like Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece and I think it's called Sierra Quattro, it's a pima cotton/wool blend. Rowan All-Seasons Cotton is nice if you can afford it too.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

rebeccaL
Seriously Hooked

721 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  3:11:31 PM  Show Profile Send rebeccaL a Private Message
Marj,
For summer tops, I like Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece and I think it's called Sierra Quattro, it's a pima cotton/wool blend. Rowan All-Seasons Cotton is nice if you can afford it too.

Rebecca

-------------------------------
Visit my blog at
http://www.spacesheep.com/Fiber/knitblog.html
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  6:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
We're full into spring here in Texas, so I'm moving on to spring/summer knitting. I'm starting a lacy cotton cardigan that I'd like to get done in time for Easter--we'll see if I can pull that off. (I ordered the yarn on Friday! Lent knitting, anyone?) In fact, I barely finished the Eris cardigan in time to get in a few weeks of good wear. We might still have another cold blast, but probably we're in the 60s at the lowest from now on.
Go to Top of Page

LilyBeth
Gabber Extraordinaire

378 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  6:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit LilyBeth's Homepage Send LilyBeth a Private Message
We're full into spring here in Texas, so I'm moving on to spring/summer knitting. I'm starting a lacy cotton cardigan that I'd like to get done in time for Easter--we'll see if I can pull that off. (I ordered the yarn on Friday! Lent knitting, anyone?) In fact, I barely finished the Eris cardigan in time to get in a few weeks of good wear. We might still have another cold blast, but probably we're in the 60s at the lowest from now on.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  7:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Well March normally means starting winter knits (start of Autumn) but it's been too hot this past week - hopefully it will cool off now and I can get a few more WIPs finished.

Wen

2006 stats: 3 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  7:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Well March normally means starting winter knits (start of Autumn) but it's been too hot this past week - hopefully it will cool off now and I can get a few more WIPs finished.

Wen

2006 stats: 3 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

Expat2
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  7:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Expat2's Homepage Send Expat2 a Private Message
One year I knitted a mohair sweater. I had bought the yarn while on a trip so saved the cuffs and welt till last in case I didn't have enough. I didn't so decided I would knit them in a different colour. I phoned a yarn shop I had seen from the bus many times to see if they stocked the particular brand of mohair and I was told in no uncertain terms that it was summer and they didn't stock mohair in the summer. Not surprisingly, I never went in that shop.
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  7:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I knit whatever I want, whenever I want.

I knit a wool sweater in a 90 F car trip this summer. I was working the sleeves in the round from the top down. So ALL that wool was on my lap.

Last winter I knit several sleeveless cotton tops.

So I can't say for sure that I'm still starting "winter projects," I'm just starting projects!

Amanda,
who
Knits

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

Atavistic
Permanent Resident

6604 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  7:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Atavistic's Homepage Send Atavistic a Private Message
I knit whatever I want, whenever I want.

I knit a wool sweater in a 90 F car trip this summer. I was working the sleeves in the round from the top down. So ALL that wool was on my lap.

Last winter I knit several sleeveless cotton tops.

So I can't say for sure that I'm still starting "winter projects," I'm just starting projects!

Amanda,
who
Knits

"Is that my Not-Mine Sweater? Whoever gets that Not-Mine Sweater is very lucky."
Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  05:00:43 AM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
I have two beautiful wool sweaters that I've wanted to start but haven't b/c I don't think I'll get to wear them any time soon after finishing. It'll be april before I'd I even finish one and I keep thinking about a nice all around cotton cardigan to make for spring/summer. I think I'm going to save my wool for later in the summer so I can have new sweaters for fall.

Angela
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  12:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
Right now I've set aside the wool sweater I was working on because there is simply no way it'll get done in time for me to wear it this winter. It'll get picked up again in early September (most likely) but right now I'd rather get a couple of cotton sweaters done to wear this summer.

Then again, I knit small projects in wool all year long, most notably socks to wear at work (my office is always cold, no matter what the weather outside is doing!).

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  2:38:20 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message
I am SO ready for spring/summer and we've been having a long cold snap. I think I have been avoiding starting winterish projects. As my daughter has been the primary recipient of my knitting I can't be sure she won't out grow things by next winter. The projects I currently have in mind are for spring/summer/fall weather. As I'm hoping that I'll finally succeed in my weight loss goals I'm not invested in knitting for myself right now.

There are, however, so many scarf patterns that I want to make that I'm sure I'll be knitting them throughout the year.

Check out my project pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzannehandicrafts/
Go to Top of Page

thegabbyknitter
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  2:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thegabbyknitter's Homepage Send thegabbyknitter a Private Message
I really don't like to knit with cotton so for spring/summer I usually knit lace. Right now I'm thinking about buying the kit for the Spice Caravan Robe from Fiddlesticks knitting.

Kelly
www.thegabbyknitter.com
Go to Top of Page

thegabbyknitter
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  2:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thegabbyknitter's Homepage Send thegabbyknitter a Private Message
I really don't like to knit with cotton so for spring/summer I usually knit lace. Right now I'm thinking about buying the kit for the Spice Caravan Robe from Fiddlesticks knitting.

Kelly
www.thegabbyknitter.com
Go to Top of Page

thegabbyknitter
Warming Up

USA
60 Posts

Kelly
www.thegabbyknitter.com
Go to Top of Page

TwistedKiwi
New Pal

New Zealand
22 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  2:58:41 PM  Show Profile Send TwistedKiwi a Private Message
I knit winter things all year round. I don't often knit with cotton. I don't really like cotton knits for some reason. I think it might be because cotton yarn in stocking stitch shows up uneven stitches really well and I feel that my cotton knits look a bit amateur as a result. I don't think I'm an uneven knitter, my wool knits look fine. Also cotton is not as soft to use or wear.

This summer it got very hot here and I found it too hot to do anything except sit inside (and knit). I just switched to a finer wool.

Zara
Go to Top of Page

TwistedKiwi
New Pal

New Zealand
22 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  2:58:41 PM  Show Profile Send TwistedKiwi a Private Message
I knit winter things all year round. I don't often knit with cotton. I don't really like cotton knits for some reason. I think it might be because cotton yarn in stocking stitch shows up uneven stitches really well and I feel that my cotton knits look a bit amateur as a result. I don't think I'm an uneven knitter, my wool knits look fine. Also cotton is not as soft to use or wear.

This summer it got very hot here and I found it too hot to do anything except sit inside (and knit). I just switched to a finer wool.

Zara
Go to Top of Page

Dottie Mae
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  4:16:03 PM  Show Profile Send Dottie Mae a Private Message
I usually lose motivation to work on off-season materials. But I did a doozy on this recently. I was making the Plaza cardigan from Rowan's Cashcotton when fall came, so I put the UFO under the hassock for 5 months. When I resumed the sweater I knitted the second front only to find, when the front was finished, that it was larger than the first front. Frog, frog, frog. Weep, weep weep.
I made the third front the same size as the second--and then I remembered why I made the smaller size in the first place. I had bought only enough yarn for the smaller size. Now I have to try to locate another ball in a dye lot sold a year ago. Wish me luck. I think this garment will be worth my tears.
I generally knit with wool all year, cotton only in the summer.
Go to Top of Page

comfybev
Chatty Knitter

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  5:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit comfybev's Homepage  Send comfybev a Yahoo! Message Send comfybev a Private Message
I knit pretty much anything all year long. Last summer I knit the Inca pattern scarf and it took me all summer long. I love socks and I knit them pretty much all year long too. I do think of knits seasonally though. I plan and feel like a season and I look forward to knits that reflect a season (in my mind). Like Dottie Mae, I've sometimes lost motivation to finish an off season project, but I get around to it eventually.

Take care, Bev
2006 FO Count: 5
http://bwdiaz.blogs.com/comfybev/
OTN: Toe-up socks, Anouk pinafore, Sockapaloooza socks
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  5:54:50 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message
I live outside of Chicago and I usually knit wool year round. Socks and lace weight shawls in the summer. I have made some cotton tops but usually don't finish them until winter, put them away and then forget to pull them out of storage. I did buy some coral cotton for summer but haven't started it. I don't know why but I seem to be stuck on what project to start next. I have two WIP's (one with sleeves to finish for DH and another jacket which just needs a zipper to sew in). I don't know why I have this inertia.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?