Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Who do you love to knit for?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  02:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
My nuclear family, particularly my mother. My father, I think, appreciates the work but doesn't always love items I think he will (he hides it very well, to be fair). My mother, though, is incredibly effusive about anything I give her and actually uses the items. Because of that I save the most intricate, interesting things for her; for last year's winter holidays I gave her a pair of Leaf and Tendril socks that took forever, but came out gorgeous, and she wears them and tells me about it. For her June birthday I'm making her a set of lace scarves in luscious Misti Alpaca; she's a scarf addict and while she has plenty of silk ones she doesn't have many solid colors, and that's something I can do for her!

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  04:14:02 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
Aside from my mother who truly loves my Arans and my lace cardigans but treats them as if they were museum pieces to be treasured but rarely worn, I enjoy knitting for my husband who has no such compunctions. He really loves my knitting, both the process, by which he is intrigued and the finished product. He's my biggest cheerleader and he's a pleasure to knit for.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  05:15:50 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
I love to knit for people I don't know. I make shawls and throws for cancer patients at my local hospital. I have no idea who they are or if they appreciate the work that goes into what I make, but I know they are made with love and hope and that's all that really matters. A couple weeks ago, the woman who runs the program told me that one of the patients who received one of my lap throws had passed away. She received a note from the gentleman's daughter thanking her for the throw and saying that he used the throw constantly, that it was a great comfort to him, and that her children now had the throw. She said they love it because it reminds them of Grampy. What more do I need than that??

Mari

Knitting Olympics--Shawl Knitting Biathlon COMPLETE:
Cozy shawl (started 2/10; done 2/12!!) Leaf Lace shawl (started 2/13; done 2/17!!)
500g Rectangular Shawl Event COMPLETE:
Cathedral Window shawl (started 2/18; done 2/25!!)

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LittleMousling
Permanent Resident

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  05:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit LittleMousling's Homepage Send LittleMousling a Private Message
quote:
She received a note from the gentleman's daughter thanking her for the throw and saying that he used the throw constantly, that it was a great comfort to him, and that her children now had the throw. She said they love it because it reminds them of Grampy.

Oh, that's lovely. When my grandfather was hospitalized in his last months, he received a pillow someone had sewn and given to the hospital. We kept it after he died and it's certainly a lovely reminder of him.

-Molly, obsessive but not exclusive socknitter
Stash photos and some FOs
Go to Top of Page

tejer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  07:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit tejer's Homepage Send tejer a Private Message
I've been really lucky that about 90% of my recipients have been really excited with their gifts. (And I guess my niece and nephew can't really be faulted for not being excited about a knitted scarf when they get a new nintendo the same day! :) My niece did really love a fun fur scarf I made her before Christmas though and my nephew exlaimed "you made that?!!", all impressed, so they do appreciate knitted gifts in their own way.

I see my mom, dad, and grandparents quite a bit and they all wear the scarves and assorted winter gear I made them a lot. That makes me really happy. Grandma and Grandpa even learned the hip way to wear their scarves (because I made them VERY long). My mom, sister, and grandma all know how to knit, so that is another kind of appreciation too.

And finally, I LOVE knitting for swaps. I have done 2 so far. One with Jolene here and one with a sewer/crocheter at craftster. They have both been so rewarding because the recipients really appreciate something handmade and I also received beautiful handmade items from them. (You should take a look at my blog to tyhe swap gifts I have received. They are awesome!)

My blog: http://kristijo.blogs.friendster.com/my_knitting_blog/
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  10:39:56 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
DH, my daughter and me. DH is my biggest fan, always supportive of any project I undertake, will take me to any yarn shop I happen on while traveling (as well as look up those I've only heard about - like our visit to Mountain Colors in Montana); my daughter, just because she loves anything and everything I knit and our tastes are so similar, I know it will be right for her, and me just because.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

Andy
Seriously Hooked

USA
774 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile Send Andy a Private Message
My DD and then myself. I like knitting for others but we appreciate it the most. DD sees what I put into a project and encourages me constantly, she really deserves the top billing and most knitty things!

Andy-wommon
http://shuvani11.livejournal.com/
Go to Top of Page

glccafar
Seriously Hooked

825 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  5:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit glccafar's Homepage Send glccafar a Private Message
Babies, toddlers, my friends, my mother, my dad, my husband (he won't let very often, but I love to knit for him), and (rarely!) me.

I wish that my grandparents were still here to knit for. That would have made me very, very happy.
Go to Top of Page

Gelliott
Seriously Hooked

USA
911 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  9:30:39 PM  Show Profile Send Gelliott a Private Message
My mom and my sister--they both know how to knit but don't really like to do it, so they appreciate what I make for them (mostly socks). The men (Dad, brother, and BF) are less vocal about their appreciation, but they wear out the socks I make!

I always make a gift for friends with new babies (usually a blanket).

Gelliott
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  12:01:20 AM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
What Boogie said. People who appreciate it. This has happily included my daughters and some of their friends, husband, my friends, children of my friends and charities. I like to knit things for myself, too.

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pink Dandelion
Chatty Knitter

136 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  03:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pink Dandelion's Homepage Send Pink Dandelion a Private Message
I get warm fuzzies just thinking about this... I have so many people I would love to knit for. I know I can't expect everyperson to use or even like a knitted object, so I'm ecstatic when it's met with genuine appreciation. When I know that it's even been worn or used once, if I plan for the worst, I can be thrilled over their reception instead of dissapointed that they didn't like it... it's a little quirky I know, but it keeps me happy and that's what matters ;-)

I think the 3 best receptions of a knitted gift were (in order of the giving):

1) The pink booga bag and scarf that I gave to a friend for her graduation. Not only was it the hit gift of the party, but I heard reports of things her friends had said about them (good or amusing things of course ;-) ) for over 6 months afterwards, and one day even saw the boogabag on her bedroom floor full of her usual purse contents! That was really exciting.

2) The booga bag I made for my Mom [Mama Bear] for her birthday, when she unwrapped it, she was ginuinely surprised that I had actually knitted, felted, and dried a booga bag during a very busy summer while living in the same house with her and my brand new baby niece! I think that's the best birthday surprise I'd ever pulled off - and almost any suprise is hard to pull of with Mom. I was sure she'd caught me a few times, and it was a little tricky getting it done intime, but luckily I ended up at a looooong boring grad ceremony without her, and watched 2 long movies at friends houses. I also found out that if I put my sister in the seat infront of me and sat in the very backseat of the car, Mom can't see that I'm knitting from her own seat lol. The felting and drying were the hardest to do secretly. This is now her main knitting bag, and might look a little worse for the wear, but it's like a teddy bear - the older and more worn it looks, the more loved it is.

3) The latest was a christmas present for my cousin, her excitement in getting it probably topped the excitement I get in giving my knitted stuff - which is hard to do ;-) . I made her an illusion knit scarf that she absolutely looooved (teens aren't easy to knit for either!), and her mom and dad were both really impressed with it. The day after I gave it to her I saw her again at a baby shower and found out that one of our aunts had borrowed it for a few moments just before I'd arrived, to show it off to a friend!

I also love to knit for my sister, with little ones, she's making a very heroic effort to learn to knit, but the going is slow, and anything takes her a long time to finish. So because she truely appreciates it as something that she can neither buy, nor make easily, and often gives my knitted things wistfull "I wish I could knit that for myself" glances, it feels so good to give her completed items I've made off of her ever growing list of things-to-one-day-knit, as a surprise.

[img]http://pinkdandelion.com/images/PDgifsmall.gif[/img]
My Blog:www.pinkdandelion.com
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  03:54:54 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I love to knit for myself and my daughter, my son and husband claim not to like wool, my son says its too daggy and he wouldn't be seen dead in a homemade jumper, I think my husband thinks along the same lines, but he had the good grace not to say it.

I've knitted my Mum two cardigans and I knitted my Dad a zip up jacket with a golfer on the back, when he passed, Mum sent it back to me.

I also knit as much as I can for charity, especially the Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne, as my son was there for a month when he was born. So I feel like I owe them.

I also knit for the salvos and for the Lost Dogs Home.

I also carry with me when travelling on public transport 6-7 balls of wool and 7 pairs of size 4mm needles and then if somebody asks me what I'm doing and they say "I wish I could do that", I just let them look in the bag and say "choose a colour and a pair of needles and I'll show you". You would be surprised how many people take you up on it and they are always astounded when you tell them they can keep it.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

englishtch
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  10:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit englishtch's Homepage Send englishtch a Private Message
I love to knit for family members that appreciate the effort. It is really nice to know that I have made socks and felted slippers that are keeping my daughter's feet warm;she wears them every day. I gave my first pair of socks to my dad who wore them nearly every day - he died about 6 weeks after I made them, so that is a nice memory.

However, I have made several pair of socks for one niece who loves them, but I won't knit for her sister who made the "You can buy socks at Walmart" comment.

My blog: www.soonerbeknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

zehava
Chatty Knitter

Canada
335 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  12:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit zehava's Homepage Send zehava a Private Message
i love to knit for my mom :) she can knit, but doesn't have the time right now... she works full time and takes care of my dad who has fibromyalgia and MS. when she has free time she likes to spend it with my kidlets (her only grandchildren so far). otherwise she's too tired to do much.

so i love to knit for her. she used to make the most amazing knit cardigans and sweaters when she was home more... and i got to wear so many of them and i loved wearing them :) so i love knitting things for her as a thank you for all of the things she knit (and the countless things she does for me and the rest of the family)... and because she loves hand knit clothes and wears them to death... she truly appreciates the effort put into knitting anything.

-z
Go to Top of Page

AuntyNin
Seriously Hooked

USA
772 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  12:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyNin's Homepage Send AuntyNin a Private Message
When my mother was alive, I loved to knit for her. Since she was a lifelong knitter, she appreciated the work that went into such gifts, and treasured every one of them.

Now I am extremely fortunate to have a small group of dear friends who truly appreciate handmade gifts. As I have said in other threads, for these four people, I knit. Also, each of them has at one time or another given me handmade gifts, some of them knitted, or crocheted, or ceramic, or whatever, but all very precious to me because of the time and thought that the giver put into the gift.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/
Go to Top of Page

Sticks and String
Permanent Resident

USA
1113 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  12:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sticks and String's Homepage Send Sticks and String a Private Message
I love to knit for babies. Babies and handknits just seem to belong together. That and I apparently have the attention span of a gnat and get bored with larger garments. :)

Jo

"If you love not the noise of bells, why then do you pull the ropes?"
http://artgypsies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KnittinMomma
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  6:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit KnittinMomma's Homepage Send KnittinMomma a Private Message
I love to knit for kids - my own and others that I know also. They are always so impressed with the "you made it *just* for me?!" I sound old, I guess, but I just think that most kids anymore are amazed by the fact that something can be had that is completely different than anything any of their friends' have!

My own kids apparently equate my knitting for them with how much I love each of them(not a bad thing!) But if I knit something for one of them, I have to find something similiar to knit the others or they start in with the, "hey, where's mine? How come you didn't make *me* one?"[:00]

Melissa

My Blog!
www.eightpointsofdeath.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  6:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
My son loves everything I knit. Knitting for him is a joy.

Kimberly, knitting in VA
http://kimberlyskorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marjotse
Permanent Resident

Sweden
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  02:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit marjotse's Homepage Send marjotse a Private Message
I knit for my daughters, my husband and occasionally myself. My 6-year old really likes the things I knit and she is very slowly learning to knit herself, my 1-year old is just wearing them without complaints. I love knitting small things for new-born babies as a gift.

Marjolein
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  08:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
I love to knit for my dear SIL. She tells me she wears my socks before they have a chance to make it back into the drawer. Someone at her office was bragging about something someone knitted for them and she promptly brought in every pair of socks and felted bag I ever knit for her or my niece, to defend my honor, LOL.

She also does not hesitate to tell me when I'm off the mark. She sent me some really unflattering pictures of a too large hat I knit when her hair fell out from chemo. She said I must have been high, and I said the chemo must have shrunk her head, so we had a good laugh about it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?