Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Who do you love to knit for?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

rejoyce
Chatty Knitter

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  6:54:28 PM  Show Profile Send rejoyce a Private Message
My daughters and grandsons!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  9:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
Oh, I forgot about the other kids I have knit for. I made a hat for a boy on my son's bowling team and he loves it. I made a scarf for myself, but found I only would wear it on rare occassions, as it was a bit short for my liking and a bit itchy (mohair), and a bit more pink than I typically wear (well, it was purple, but a pinkish purple). I gave it to a little girl on the bowling team (she's 3) and it matched her shirt perfectly. All through the game she was prancing around in it like a little diva and it was just so adorable, I knew I had made the right choice. And I only had it with me to show off. I just was inspired to give it to her. It felt so good to see her enjoy it so much.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Pampered Punkin
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  11:20:23 PM  Show Profile Send Pampered Punkin a Private Message
I love knitting/Crocheting for my MIL. I don't think anyone has ever taken the time to make something for her before I met her. She is such a wonderful woman and I love her dearly. She always enjoys the things I make for her and wears them proudly. I have knitted several pairs of socks for her, as well as mittens, dish towels, scarves, and a sweater-set. I have even knitted toys for her little doggy. I am working on her present for next Christmas right now. I am crocheting an afghan for her.

She really is a special person and I enjoy being able to make things for her. It always makes me happy to make her happy.

**Trisha**

I will walk by faith, even when I cannot see.

http://knitsterchick.blogspot.com/
http://www.myspace.com/knitsterchick
Go to Top of Page

STRIKKEGURI
New Pal

Norway
5 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  11:21:04 PM  Show Profile Send STRIKKEGURI a Private Message
Oh all you lucky ones who have people who appreciate what you knit! The only person whom I know who truly appreciates what I knit him is my husband. He loves handknitted sweaters and live in them! Knitting is such a mundane occupation here in Norway, everyone in my generation and maybe the next one knits, so it is no great shakes having a new sweater. I have started to knit for people to whom I am not related and the appreciation is awesome! I LIKE that people are impressed! I have a friend who is also a knitter and her grandchildren are lined up for new sweaters all the time. Lucky her!I may be wrong here, because I think that my smallest granddaugther is eagerly awaiting her new sweater, the olympic sweater our participants in the winter olympics wore!
Happy knitting
Turid

Strikkeguri
Go to Top of Page

crzyboutyarn
Seriously Hooked

USA
792 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  12:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit crzyboutyarn's Homepage Send crzyboutyarn a Private Message
I like to knit for myself and my family

~Courtney [IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d192/love2croceht/imake-things.gif[/IMG]
A Full Stash is a Happy Stash!!
http://crzyboutcrochet.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

donnawatk
Seriously Hooked

766 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  06:11:51 AM  Show Profile Send donnawatk a Private Message
Their is a lady at my church. I don't even known her name. I was knitting a hat when I met her, she is 85 years young.The next Saturday I gave her the hat. It warms your heart when you see sombody in something you made and you know they like it. It took me a week and I gave her the gloves and the scraf to match. Donna
Go to Top of Page

ninja_girl_01@yahoo.com

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  06:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit ninja_girl_01@yahoo.com's Homepage Send ninja_girl_01@yahoo.com a Private Message
Myself, of course, but I love knitting for my mom and my sister. My sister picked out some yarn that she wanted made into a scarf and she told me that she wanted a short wide scarf. Well the yarn sat in my stash for months and then for x-mas I made the scarf for her. She went crazy over it because she forgot all about picking it out and telling me how she wanted it. She wears it all the time and shows it off to everyone and says how her little sister made it for her. It makes me feel good that she loves it so much. My mom of course is the same way, of course she is a bit more picky than my sister but I love my mom and I just want to show her how much she means to me by giving her something that no one else can.

http://pitsandknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nfalers2@msn.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  07:10:25 AM  Show Profile Send nfalers2@msn.com a Private Message
Last year I knitting a shawl and had not decided who it was for when one of my husband's sisters got cancer, so I finished it for her, and sent it to her. My husband said that she really liked it(but what do husbands know sometimes). Unforturnly the Big C was to much for her, when we went down for the funeral,I saw that she was wearing it, and her sisters said that she wore the shawl all the time and that she said she was taking a trip and was going to wear the shawl. I guess my husband knew what he was talking about(this time).
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  09:19:21 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by Atavistic

Me.

BEST ANSWER....no one, no matter how much they love you, appreciates the finished product like you do.

Marie
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  09:19:56 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by Atavistic

Me.

BEST ANSWER....no one, no matter how much they love you, appreciates the finished product like you do.

Marie
Go to Top of Page

Stitching Fool
Chatty Knitter

196 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  09:26:30 AM  Show Profile Send Stitching Fool a Private Message
oops...a little too enthusiastic in my "post new reply" button-pressing.

Don't get me wrong, I do knit for my kids and husband and other family members, who all seem to really appreciate it. However, some of my most rewarding giftees are people who admired my project while I was making it, so I just gave it to them when I was finished, much to their surprise. The "just because" gifts are the best. In this case its "just because you already liked it" (and I knew you would appreciate it) is my reason for giving it away.

Happy knitting and gifting,
Marie
Go to Top of Page

susansocker
Warming Up

51 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  09:35:07 AM  Show Profile Send susansocker a Private Message
I love to knit for my quilting/knitting friends. I have been meeting once a week for 20 years with a group of quilters some of whom knit. Last week at the meeting one of my friends kept touching a simple shawl I was working on. I can tell how much she likes it and will probably give it to her on her next birthday.
I also enjoy giving something away to someone who has watched me work on a scarf or socks admiring my progress. It has been fun to graft the toe on a sock and right in that moment to pass it on to the admirer.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

pjkite
Permanent Resident

1198 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit pjkite's Homepage  Send pjkite a Yahoo! Message Send pjkite a Private Message
I love to knit for my husband. He wears it, brags on it, and buttonholes strangers at events to tell them proudly, "My wife made this for me!" I'm lucky - my sons and daughter are almost exactly like him. So I knit for all of them. For myself, I knit - I know better than anyone what went into it. And I knit for my mother, who can no longer knit for herself (RA) and loves knitted socks, hats and scarves. I'm really lucky to have so many people who love my knitting - but fitting the time into a day to knit is getting harder!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Yarnmonsta
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  12:47:23 PM  Show Profile Send Yarnmonsta a Private Message
Great topic! I've been knitting and sewing for my daughter since she was tiny and I could make sundresses from little remnants. It feels like there's a bit of me out in the world with her when she wears a hat or a scarf or sleeps under a crocheted blanket I made for her (or for me that she talked me out of). I've also been making washcloths for everybody I know for the last couple of years -- it's my excuse for watching television and it's a quick little gift I can give for no apparent reason. Girlfriends get ponchos, shawls, scarves or hats for more major gift occasions and if it's a wedding or a new baby they can count on an afghan. So far, I keep the sweaters.
Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  12:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
I like to knit for people who aren't expecting it. I also love to knit for my mom, because she's a crafter herself and understands. If I were to think about it, I'd probably have to admit that I knit for the yarn! "Make me into this! I wanna be one of those!" You know what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  1:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
My father and my DH not only love and wear the things that I"ve made for them, but they also go out of their way to make sure others know exactly where their handknits came from.

DD is just old enough to understand how special it is that Mommy makes things for her. In fact, we're going to look at books this afternoon to pick out a sweater pattern for next fall.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Larjmarj
Chatty Knitter

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Larjmarj's Homepage Send Larjmarj a Private Message
I knitted a baby hat for one of the guys at work who recently added a little guy to his family. Bill is like my long lost sibling (you know the people that you wish you were related to instead of the people that you are related to) When I gave it to him he gave me a great big hug like I'd given him a gold brick. I also made a blanket and socks for their baby shower. Some of the girls at work I've made blankets for their showers too but Bill really seemed to appreciate his gift.

My blog
Go to Top of Page

Rhonlynn
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  8:30:11 PM  Show Profile Send Rhonlynn a Private Message
Reading this with curiousity. I owe alot to this board, who, infact,
introduced me to knitting the wonderful clapotis, and now i'm shopping for yarn, for a few more. Anyway, I htought I'd add something to this conversation.
I love to knit furry scarves for my neighbor, who wears them, even as an accesory, and also, for my mom, who doesn't knit. She'll get a clapotis. I also like to knit for my dad's girlfriend, who also knits. I'd like to give her a clapotis, but they take a very long time.
I do have a problem, once my friends found out I can knit scarves, they began putting in their orders. I finally had to stop taking orders, cause I wasn't getting things done for me, and my cross stitch and embroidery guild projects weren't getting done.

--Rhonda, from Independence, MO
Go to Top of Page

JulieC
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  09:10:40 AM  Show Profile Send JulieC a Private Message
MIL has been extremely appreciative of what I've made for her -- a sweater which she picked the color for, a pair of socks she watched me finish & asked who they were for (me: "would you like them?" her: "I could wear them with my new hiking boots" me: "happy birthday!"), a Koigu neck cozy (she saw mine & said "oh, I could use one of those") and a lace shawl, which she mentions every time we talk on the phone!

My sister asked me to make a cardigan for my niece, to replace one that I'd made years earlier that was "getting really short" -- I was surprised she was still wearing it, but apparently she loved it to death. So they picked out yarn and I made a new cardigan. I haven't seen a picture yet, but have been assured she loves it.

I've made socks for a few people -- Dad, son, brother-in-law (I don't think he's worn his yet -- he keeps asking for a neck cozy, but he's being silly). Daughter has actually borrowed my handknit socks, so I'm making a pair for her. Husband has nothing handknit yet, and hasn't asked for anything. But the subject of socks for him has come up recently, so we're working in that direction.

I've made a sweater & a neck cozy for my mother, a scarf for my aunt (mom's sister), have plans to make a shawl for Mom, which I'm hoping she'll love.

Mostly, I knit for myself, knowing that if someone I love really loves what I'm making, I will probably give it to them eventually. Sometimes it takes a little while for the gift and giftee to become an obvious match, but the results are usually quite gratifying.

Julie
http://ozarkknitting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

latebloomer
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  09:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit latebloomer's Homepage Send latebloomer a Private Message
My niece (8) and goddaughter (almost 18) are my favorite people to knit for. My GD has just about worn out the Booga bag I knit for her, and has worn and used everything I've made for her. My niece just loves all handcrafted things.

------------
Melissa
Knitting & sewing in Michigan
my blog
my shop
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page