Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Can't Pick My Next Project
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  7:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
I just got a sudden influx of yarn from a few eBay purchases and mom's suitcase o' goodies from her recent Norway trip, plus the baby alpaca my dad got me in Peru. So much yarn so little decisiveness.........has anyone else experienced this kind of choice overload?

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com

Mama Bear
Gabber Extraordinaire

417 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  7:25:14 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Bear a Private Message
All the time! Sometimes when I just can't decide I knit up little doll pieces or some such. Then the next time I can't decide, I'll spend time putting those together.

Today is a putting together day. Although it's not so much can't decide and being short one thing I need for each of about 3 projects I want to do.

Let us know what you decide on! How fun on the suitcase of goodies and the alpaca!

Mama Bear

[img]http://beartoes.com/images/bearbutton.jpg[/img]
My Blog:www.beartoes.com
Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  7:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
Oh, yeah! Have you tried some free-form knitting? Sometimes just casting on and fiddling around with stitches brings inspiration for a new project. You'll get a feel for how each yarn likes to be worked, too.
Go to Top of Page

kbshee
Permanent Resident

USA
4158 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  7:43:17 PM  Show Profile Send kbshee a Private Message
How fun! Enjoy! I'd start with the alpaca myself---

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  8:17:46 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I have four knitting magazines in front of me and can't decide which one to start with.

Never mind the yarn, I haven't even thought of that yet.

The only thing is I'm 51, look at these beautiful models and think "yeah that would look great on me". That's one of the bad things about getting old, you still thing your 17 inside.

Needless to say when I have finished what I'm making it usually looks like crap on me and my daughter relieves me of it.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

gdelrosa
Seriously Hooked

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  9:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit gdelrosa's Homepage  Send gdelrosa a Yahoo! Message Send gdelrosa a Private Message
I usually want to knit everything. Unfortunately time is at a premium for me. Small "finishable" projects have to be included in the mix. But I have lofty ambitions and am afraid I won't finish anything except a Panta this year

I changed my blog name: www.gailknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blazfglori
Permanent Resident

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  03:29:42 AM  Show Profile Send blazfglori a Private Message
Most definitely!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who can't decide on a new project.

I sit and stare at my stash, and it all wants to become something, but what that *something* is remains a mystery. ;)

~Lori

Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  05:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
count me in
I always knit socks
but then I want to do something different
I did a small lace smoke ring and a sort of fichu
I have to do a cotton scarf with beads for a class i am going to be giving
but really nothing is saying

YOU MUST KNIT ME

( I know all you folks have stuff talk to them....I am not the only crazy person around here)

I am still trying to get the omph......... to finish the chicken hats
and I deperately need some gloves for me

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

yarn forever
Chatty Knitter

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  07:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarn forever's Homepage Send yarn forever a Private Message
I always start socks or lace (my background knitting) when not sure what to make or when in a "knitters slump".
Then I pull out a mountain of old magazines, pattern books and reference and spend few hours looking over them. Then I start 5-6 projects and that keeps me busy. I'm still working (once a month, maybe) on Sam the Ram (my transitional project from 9 month ago[:00])
Roxy

www.roxyyarns.com/store
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  08:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
I second the socks for a good filler knit! It gives you something to do while you're thinking and you get another pair of socks by the time you've decided what to take on next.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Hand Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmama
Seriously Hooked

880 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit yarnmama's Homepage Send yarnmama a Private Message
I second the socks for a good filler knit! It gives you something to do while you're thinking and you get another pair of socks by the time you've decided what to take on next.

Catherine Harrison
owner of Knitting Notions:Hand Dyed yarns, Hardwood yarn swifts and more
http://www.knittingnotionsonline.com
Go to Top of Page

ShannonM
Gabber Extraordinaire

352 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  08:39:31 AM  Show Profile Send ShannonM a Private Message
I've been having the same problem. I can't even decide on a pair of socks. Maybe I'll do a hat instead!

Shannon
my blog:
http://yarnandchocolate.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  11:39:48 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
About halfway into a project I find myself dreaming of what I'll do next. I conscientiously try to think of what's in my stash, then run out a buy NEW, NEW, NEW. I'm always about three projects ahead of myself.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  09:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
Glad I am not alone. I started a scarf which is my filler knitting project of choice. But I have been considering do a small lace wrap with the alpaca but I fear lace.

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

azknitter
Honorary Angel

5539 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile Send azknitter a Private Message
Oye...Such a problem! I'd be happy to take any overflow of those pesky yarns....

Trish
Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  12:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
Do not fear lace. It's just making holes on purpose! Who knows, it might even be just the thing to inspire a whole raft of projects. Aha! Socks with lace cuffs. Small, minimal time invested, with a new skill to learn. Ta-dah!
Go to Top of Page

Tatjana
Chatty Knitter

Germany
115 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  2:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tatjana's Homepage Send Tatjana a Private Message
YES! i have been in a knitter's rut for a while now. and i don't even have a filler project. i just keep making swatches to see how different yarns knit up, or if i like a stich pattern. isn't that sad? LOL

tatjana

Crafty Fox Blog
Gobo, if that boulder had fallen on you, you'd be a smudge of Fraggle Glop on the floor. ~Wembley
Go to Top of Page

Little Kitty
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  6:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Little Kitty's Homepage Send Little Kitty a Private Message
How funny that so many people have the same problem. I can never decide what to knit next; I just start a few swatches and whichever "feels" the best is the one. Sometimes I think I really want to knit a particular thing, I swatch and then I change my mind. Maybe the yarn isn't calling out to me or I don't like the pattern stitch. So I swatch something else.

I try not to get worked up about what to knit next. I mean, it's luxury to have so many options.

~~ Lynette ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Gathering of Wool
Go to Top of Page

truly violet
Permanent Resident

6398 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  7:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit truly violet's Homepage Send truly violet a Private Message
I finally settled on a 'mini shawl'
actually it is not a shawl....it is smaller....but bigger then a scarf
in 'ocean' colors and with beads

vi

none of this will matter in 100 years.......
except I will finally be at my goal weight...vi
http://notashyviolet.blogspot.com/ ~now with chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Bess
Warming Up

78 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:23:06 AM  Show Profile Send Bess a Private Message
I was having the same problem & was driving myself crazy because I couldn't decide what to do next. But then I realized I needed to relax & remember that the decision process/swatching is part of the entire knitting "experience" and to enjoy it as much as the other parts. Still can't decide - but I'm enjoying it much more!
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  11:13:16 AM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message
I have had knitting inertia. It is good to know others have had the same problem. I couldn't decide what to start next. I felt if something was to basic, I would feel pressured (self) to finish quickly. I finally started a basic cardigan in a heavy worsted (only 2 inches in) and a Jamieson's cardigan but with a simpler intarsia pattern. I am going to relax and just enjoy the process, no deadlines.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?