Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Groups Seeking Donated Materials and Knitted Items
 Donations and volunteers needed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  09:02:23 AM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
I am currently a volunteer, teaching knitting and crocheting to Blind and visually impaired men and women at Associated Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Philadelphia Pa. These are all very low income individuals. For many this experience has changed their lives. Suddenly they have apurpose.Sadly they are unable to purchase materials. The agency due to limited funding, is currently unable to help. I have provided the materials for the clients but because of the numbers( 25-30) students I need some help.Any donations would be appreciated.We require smooth yarn of all different weights ( worsted up) . It can be solid, self striping or varigated. Appropriate needles and crochet hooks would also be helpful. All materials can be sent to Barbra Levin at 215 627-0600. Volunteers are also needed.
ASB
919 Walnut Street
Philadelphia Pa, 19107

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:22:15 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
I've been meaning to clean up my stash for a long time and this seems to be a very worthy project. By worsted up do you mean that you don't want any baby, sport or dk weights? I have some worsted but I have a lot of finer yarns too.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  12:51:22 PM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
We would love any weight anyone can spare. As the students get more and more skilled they are able to use any yarn. The class began in October, started with one class a week and expande to two days a week to accomodate all the folks. They have made pillows both knit and crocheted, poncho's scarves etc. It is a very worthwhile cause and from all the folks in the classes we thank you. Please pass the word.
Go to Top of Page

KBerry
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
486 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  1:42:57 PM  Show Profile Send KBerry a Private Message
Sounds like a great cause. I hope that I can help.

Kristin

"Dogs have masters, cats have servants"
Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3458 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  5:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
Thanks for letting us know about this project! I will send some yarn to the address you posted.

--Minh
Go to Top of Page

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  7:31:56 PM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
Thanks Minh. The ladies will really appreciate it.

I can"t tell you how much it has changed their lives.
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  2:12:08 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Hi. Just checking in to see if you still need materials. I'd be happy to send you a box of items if you are interested. I live close by, so shipping should be pretty cheap and fast.
Carol
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  4:09:27 PM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message
Will you take the standard acrylic skeins (and don't feel ungrateful if you say no). I have stashes of acrylic that I bought years ago when I first started knitting. Now that I'm not doing much with acrylic, I'll probably never use it.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Yarn Nut
New Pal

18 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2006 :  4:15:14 PM  Show Profile Send Yarn Nut a Private Message
Does the yarn have to be full, new skeins? I have tons of acrylic that, again, like Sara, I purchased when I first started when I didn't know any better (about all the great & wonderful "better" yarns).
Congrats on your program. What a wonderful way to spread the fiber-arts bug!
Go to Top of Page

d_timmons2001@yahoo.com
New Pal

48 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  06:56:13 AM  Show Profile Send d_timmons2001@yahoo.com a Private Message
I have some Berocco yarn, and some Katia yarn that I don't care for. Would you accept those and some other assorted yarns?

Doris
Go to Top of Page

~bananaKnits~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  2:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~bananaKnits~'s Homepage  Send ~bananaKnits~ a Yahoo! Message Send ~bananaKnits~ a Private Message
Get in touch with http://stitchesfromtheheart.org/ they may be able to help out. Send an eMail to Kathy. They get yarn donations and maybe able to send you some.

Happy Knitting,

ana

http://bananaknits.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

donncoop
Chatty Knitter

111 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2006 :  1:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send donncoop a Private Message
To everyone who responded thanks for the offer. We will take any and all yarn at this point. Sport weight and heavier are the best but many of our clients are beginning to try thinner yarns. Acryillic yarns are great. Our classes have more than doubled and we currently have a waiting list. Honestly, it has been a spectacular and fulfilling experience. Anyone living in the Philadelphia area shopuld come on down to 919 Walnut street on Tuesdays and check us out. You will be amazed at what these men and women are producing and how proud they are. Again, thanks for any and all donations...we use every scrap.
Donna
Go to Top of Page

AuntieK
Warming Up

75 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  10:16:13 AM  Show Profile Send AuntieK a Private Message
Donna,

Are you still accepting yarn and needle donations? I was recently cleaning out my mom's stash of yarn and needles. I have 8 skeins of Canadiana Chunky (acylic) that I would like to send. Also, I have straight needles, sizes 10.5 down to 1 (though the sizes 1,2,3,4 may be too small for your students - if so, let me know and I won't include them). The needles are all in very good shape, many hardly or not used at all.

Are you interested in 1, 2 or 3 skeins of yarn? I have leftovers from numerous projects.

Karen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?