Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Coffee and wool....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iamthesponge
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  12:30:48 PM  Show Profile Send iamthesponge a Private Message
I was drinking coffee while driving and spilled some on my wool sweater (not handmade, thank goodness, but brand new). I wasn't able to mop it up until I got home. I rinsed the sweater, but the stain remained. I tried rubbing in a little Wool Mix, letting it sit, and then giving it a soak. The stain was better but still clearly visible. I tried the same approach with a little color-safe bleach (Cheer), and the stain was again, better, but still visible (and a lot of color bled into the soak water). Is there another product/approach I can try that will be effective while gentle on the sweater? (My Googling the topic has resulted in more ads than helpful info).

Thanks,
sponge

westcoastchica
Seriously Hooked

Canada
788 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  12:39:25 PM  Show Profile Send westcoastchica a Private Message
No idea... I usually soak stained items in OxyClean for a while (the whole garment, spot-treating sometimes leaves discoloration), but I've never tried it with wool.

(This is why I never drink/eat and drive in the car... I'm a total spilly-pants.)

http://sapphyreknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  12:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard good things about Eucalan Wool Wash. Google it and see what you think. The site says they'll even send you a free sample. Anybody else tried it?
Go to Top of Page

MeezieGirl
Seriously Hooked

USA
623 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  12:52:02 PM  Show Profile Send MeezieGirl a Private Message
I'd try Orvus paste. It's a semi-liquid soap sold in quilt shops as quilt soap. It's also available in tack stores as it's used to wash down show horses (the container is MUCH larger). It's the soap used by textile conservators to wash ancient textiles and is mild and safe for washable items. I've used it back when I was on the Altar Guild at my church, too, to remove stains from the altar linens. There was one linen cloth that was stained with a combination of the dregs of red wine and *bright* red lipstick. I smeared a little of the paste directly on the stain and let it soak for about 1 1/2 hours in cold water. Result: stain completely gone.

Always use the mildest cleaners to try to remove stains first. You don't want to damage the item with the cleaner and do something that isn't reversible. Orvus is great. Give it a try.

Dee

You can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the girl.

http://meeziegirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  1:14:07 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
If you have your own washing machine, pour in some water and detergent and let it soak. Even better take it for a wash in a front loader.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

sweatpea
Chatty Knitter

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  1:41:46 PM  Show Profile Send sweatpea a Private Message
when I get a stain that won't come out, I pour a little liquid detergent right on the spot when the article is dry and let it sit for hours, even all day or over night. Then I rinse it out and voila!. It might work. It took me 39 years to lean this trick. It is the soaking that does it I am sure.
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  2:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Louet sells a product that they swear will work.
BTW - bleach eats wool. I'm not sure if color safe bleach is better.

amy
http://theboogerblog.blogspot.com
http://www.spunkyhats.com
Go to Top of Page

emeeekay
Chatty Knitter

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  2:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit emeeekay's Homepage  Send emeeekay a Yahoo! Message Send emeeekay a Private Message
Rather than trying to get the stain out, you could soak the whole sweater in brewed, black coffee (or tea). It will antique the color of the sweater and the whole thing will be um, stained. My mother taught me this ... but mainly for bras and underwear; you buy the cheapie white ones (cotton, if possible, though synthetics will take the color also) and dye them taupe/nude with coffee or tea.

HTH

Mandy
my knitting projects
Go to Top of Page

jaymeKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1350 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  2:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Send jaymeKnits a Yahoo! Message Send jaymeKnits a Private Message
Mandy, we used to do that all the time with leotards for dance. You'd be surprised at how hard it could be to find fleshy colored leotards to wear under costumes.

Jayme

http://jaymeknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Erinplus3
Chatty Knitter

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  4:18:04 PM  Show Profile Send Erinplus3 a Private Message
I don't have any suggestions, but keep wool away from Oxyclean. I ruined some yarn trying to get an orange soda stain out with it. I was desperate, nothing else had worked, so I was willing to risk it. The stain did come out, but the yarn was lighter after I used it, slightly bleached out, and very stiff after that. I ended up tossing it.

I love Oxyclean for all my regular laundry stains, just not my handknit items and delicates.
Go to Top of Page

stitchmd
Seriously Hooked

716 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  6:56:15 PM  Show Profile Send stitchmd a Private Message
Liquid soap for dishwashing by hand, such as Dawn, is good for all kinds of food stains. Make sure you use cold water.

You can't have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  7:13:22 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Toni,

I would try a few tablespoons of Borax mixed into a paste and then let it soak in tepid water for about 1/2 an hour.

Then just wash as normal.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:33:18 PM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
I had good luck getting an old coffee stain out of a wool sweater that my grandmother made for me. I dampened the spot with a little water and then sprayed it with Simple Green, let it sit for a few hours and then washed the sweater. I couldn't see any remnant of the coffee and the color of the wool remained unchanged.

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

The Irish Ewe
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  10:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Irish Ewe's Homepage Send The Irish Ewe a Private Message
Toothpaste works wonders. Or denture cleaning tablets.

The Irish Ewe
Norway, Maine
http://www.TheIrishEwe.com
Go to Top of Page

iamthesponge
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  9:17:11 PM  Show Profile Send iamthesponge a Private Message
Thanks to all for your suggestions. It's good to know that there are things I haven't tried yet that might do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  1:36:15 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
How about that new Tide stain stick--Tide to Go?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe