Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 The Curse of the Love Sweater?
 no such thing as a cursed sweater
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

beejayeles
Chatty Knitter

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  06:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit beejayeles's Homepage Send beejayeles a Private Message
i have to say there is no such thing as a cursed love sweater. i made my husband an icelandic sweater for christmas just 3 months into our whirlwind romance. he loved the sweater, and loved me........that was 15 years ago and fortunately he still loves us both (tho i take top billing!).

i say go for it!

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  07:51:56 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I just had a thought! Maybe knitting a sweater weeds out the committmentphobe bad apples! In which case, though painful at the time, it might be a good thing.

Congratulations on your wonderful DH. It's always nice to hear a happy ending.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

knitting_physicist
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  10:42:26 AM  Show Profile Send knitting_physicist a Private Message
Anita- You are probably right about that, but it still sucks to be so happy and going to a lot of trouble to make a sweater for someone who doesn't appriciate it. I guess to be safe, you could always make one that would fit you if it didn't work out, or maybe an x-mas gift for your brother, etc. So, if all else fails, last minute you can remind yourself that you were making the sweater for someone other than the jerk who didn't like it or decided he didn't like you.

-Sarah
No...gravitational physics makes the world go round.
Go to Top of Page

NaProus
Permanent Resident

1828 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:09:04 AM  Show Profile Send NaProus a Private Message
Weeeeeeeel, let's just say my experience was different.

I gave it to my best friend.

What's a leper bandage? http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bandages.html
http://www.ghm.org/resources/hands-on/knittedbandage.html
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I agree with Anita, I have always thought the curse came from the 'Oh my God, you put all that work in to that for me? RUN!! Next thing we will have a mortgage and babies.'

Wen

2006 stats: 3 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

sammyjane
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  08:45:58 AM  Show Profile Send sammyjane a Private Message
I originally posted this in another forum, but it seems to fit better here.

I just finished knitting a gorgeous Aran sweater for my SIL. I ordered the yarn and pattern from Ireland, so I have quite a bit invested in it (not counting the time spent on it).

He knew well in advance before I began the project that I was going to do it but failed to inform me that he's highly allergic to wool.

To make a long story short, I had finished knitting all the pieces and was getting ready to put it together when he informed me that he's highly allergic to wool and won't wear the sweater. I debated as to what to do with it, but since it's an extra large (I felt like I was knitting a cover for Mt. Everest!) I don't know anyone else it will fit.

I just finished ripping the whole thing out and I'll make something else out of the yarn for someone else (I'll check first as to possible allergies!). Needless to say, I'll never knit for him again!
Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  11:05:07 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sammyjane
. . .To make a long story short, I had finished knitting all the pieces and was getting ready to put it together when he informed me that he's highly allergic to wool and won't wear the sweater. . .

At that point, I would have strangled him. Did you ever find out why he waited so long to mention his allergies?

The cat, the only self-cleaning appliance in the house
Go to Top of Page

sammyjane
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  11:00:54 AM  Show Profile Send sammyjane a Private Message
Believe me, I was sorely tempted to strangle him on the spot. The only bright spot is that now I'll have a gorgeous aran sweater! I'm using the yarn for ME!
Go to Top of Page

emilyn
Chatty Knitter

Singapore
126 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  10:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit emilyn's Homepage Send emilyn a Private Message
I don't believe in it. I made my hubby (then boyfriend) a sweater 9 years ago and we're still together!

Besides, if this is to be true, I will be out of business as most of my students are knitting boyfriend sweaters! LOL

http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Reynard Ridge
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  2:35:57 PM  Show Profile Send Reynard Ridge a Private Message
I knit two sweaters for two different boyfriends who ran.

I waited to knit sweater for DH until we had two children. While he has not run, he has never actually worn the sweater. I made it in a color he loves, a style that works (aran) in a cotton yarn that would not be too hot or would make him itch.

STILL doesn't wear it.

My mother made my father an incredible mohair sweater when they were dating. The sweater is 44 years old. HE has never worn it, although I have once or twice. And I it is in my closet for safekeeping, NOT my dad's!

I vote YES on curse.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  6:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I gave DH his first sweater on the valentines day after our marriage - I have trouble getting it off him to wash!

BTW the only reason he didn't get it earlier was that our engagement was relatively short and by the time we picked the wool, the pattern and I made it, it was February.

Wen

2006 stats: 6 FO, too many WIP, 0 frogpond.
http://photos.yahoo.com/whdayus
Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  9:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I am not likely to ever knit a sweater for my husband. There are a lot of reasons for that. First, we live in the desert. It won't get worn much. Second, he is a very large 6'5" man. It would take me way too long to make. I would get tired of it. Third, he is wierd about sweaters. He has one that he had when I met him 12 years ago. He wears only a few certain sweaters and very rarely changes to a new one. I'm sure he would wear what I knit, but not much and not worth the time it would take.
I am, however, making him the linux illusion scarf. He doesn't wear scarves, but he really loves this one. He is a linux geek. It is slow going and has been put on hiatus for a bit since it is getting very hot to be knitting this very large scarf in wool. I just pick it up and do a couple rows every now and then when I get the urge. It will be done by winter.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  06:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
I don't believe in the curse either. The first thing I ever knit in my life was a sweater for my boyfriend, who had just joined the Navy. I have no idea what the yarn was made of, but it was white, and the sweater was full of holes and lopsided. But he put it on and pushed up the too long sleeves and wore it. He didn't dump me either - we have been married for 42 years!

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
www.janevdoviak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3994 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Jane -- Good for him -- that's how you know you have a keeper.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2393 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  11:59:19 AM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
That's a great story, Jane! I don't know your husband, but already I really like him.

My DH doesn't wear sweaters either...he wore shorts back East in the winter so he's very hot-blooded. He did like the clogs, though.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

janev
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  4:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit janev's Homepage Send janev a Private Message
Thanks, I'll tell him you said so! So after 42 years, do you think I should push my luck and knit him a pair of socks? LOL.

Jane
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  9:09:02 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

I don't believe it either, I knitted my boyfriend who is now my husband a superman sweater, he wore it to the very next gig he played and now he is a bit chubbier, my son has souveniered it, although my son refuses to wear anything I make, I don't know where he thinks it came from.

I also ended up making heaps of sweaters for the band, their wives and girlfriends and their kids.

We have been together for 29 years.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

3994 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  10:56:52 AM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by janev

Thanks, I'll tell him you said so! So after 42 years, do you think I should push my luck and knit him a pair of socks? LOL.

Jane

Maybe a pair of socks that match the sweater -- "full of holes and lopsided" [:00]

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

picknitter
New Pal

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  07:00:23 AM  Show Profile Send picknitter a Private Message
I do not believe in the curse.
A few days after David and I met we were passing a very expensive shop and he fell in love with a sweater in the window. It cost about three months wages so the next day I went out and bought some yarn and knitted one like it.

We were together for 27 wonderful years (and dozens of sweaters) until he died suddenly a few months ago.

So go for it girls and I hope you will be as happy as we were.

Emilie
Go to Top of Page

knitting_physicist
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile Send knitting_physicist a Private Message
Emilie-

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your story about knitting sweaters for your husband was very touching and a reminder to just 'go for it,' because knitting a sweater won't change the course of fate...

-Sarah
No...gravitational physics makes the world go round.
Go to Top of Page

maribelaprn
Permanent Resident

USA
2033 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  10:44:47 AM  Show Profile Send maribelaprn a Private Message
I don't believe in curses, but I do believe that if you knit something with love and devotion and give it to someone who doesn't feel that same love for you, this is quite likely to bring out the type of response commonly referred to as "the curse of the love sweater". If you pour that much love and effort into someone and they don't feel the same about you, it's an amazing thing that a scarf or sweater (or anything else) will bring that to the forefront more than any "heart to heart" talk will!

I've said this before but perhaps we should "test knit" something for all new relationships and see if they can withstand something as simple as being the recipient of a handmade sweater or scarf. If the individual will turn and run after that, imagine what would happen when the going got really tough! Instead of "the curse of the love sweater", it could become "the test of the love sweater"!

Emilie, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's impossible to knit back together a broken heart.

Mari

2006 shawls/throws completed: 10
2006 socks completed: 4
WIP: Flower Basket Shawl (in Silky Wool)

My blog: http://maribelaprn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.