Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Red Heart Super Saver
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

judith27
Warming Up

Canada
85 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:16:44 AM  Show Profile Send judith27 a Private Message
I purchased some of this yarn in a colour called "Painted Desert", to make cat blankets.
When I had worked several inches, I realized that it is the perfect colour combination for a jacket, to wear with my pullover and pants set.
What can you tell me about the durability of this yarn? Will it wash and wear well?
The reason I ask is that the yarn was really inexpensive. I guess I am thinking of the idea that "you get what you pay for."
I have found however, that some of the less expensive yarns can pleasantly surprise you!!

Tabby2002
Warming Up

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tabby2002's Homepage Send Tabby2002 a Private Message
I made an Irish Hiking Scarf out of Red Heart Super Saver yarn for the knitting olympics (there is a pic on my blog) and someone had told me that this type of yarn would work well on a scarf (it's for a child) because it will wash and wear well.

http://kittenyarnsandcrafts.blogspot.com
Come visit my blog sometime!
Go to Top of Page

KellyKnits
Permanent Resident

USA
1608 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit KellyKnits's Homepage Send KellyKnits a Private Message
my only concern would be that it won't breathe and will be too hot to wear

Kelly
http://pieceofstring.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tabby2002
Warming Up

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tabby2002's Homepage Send Tabby2002 a Private Message
It is an acrylic yarn, so I would assume that if it was made into a sweater and the person wearing it was sweating, the yarn might retain some of the moisture. However, I don't think I've made any sweaters out of it so I can't be sure. I have made mittens with it and they felt warm (they were for kids) but at the time I didn't know about the retaining moisture factor (I only found this out when I was inquiring about using acrylic yarns for socks), so it might not be the best choice for mittens...

Go to Top of Page

adalton124
Seriously Hooked

659 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile Send adalton124 a Private Message
I have an afghan my mom made me out of Red Heart yarn and it washes very well. I run it through the dryer too. I don't think that I would make a garment out of it for myself b/c of it being 100% acrylic and less breathable that wool or cotton, but that's just my preference.

Angela
Go to Top of Page

jaw
Seriously Hooked

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:10:21 PM  Show Profile Send jaw a Private Message
It will wash and wear very well. I make baby afghans out of it all the time - also scarves and watch caps. When I put it in the dryer I put a fabric softener sheet with it and it comes out nice and soft.
Go to Top of Page

Emelia Lesser
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Emelia Lesser's Homepage Send Emelia Lesser a Private Message
My grandmother knitted an afgan for my parents out of what I believe was Red Heart Supersaver or something very similar. That was 25 years ago and it's still holding up ok. It has a few holes, and it's pretty scratchy, and some stitch definition has been lost, but it still exists so that is a testament to it's strength and durability.

~Em
"Art is the reason I get up in the morning but my definition ends there and it just doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define...but there he is in the mean time," ~Ani DiFranco
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  4:38:24 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
It will wash and wear well. Sweaters I made 30 years ago are still floating around and being worn. I am not sure what others mean when they say it absorbs sweat because the only problem with this yarn is that it does not absorb moisture. That can give you a clammy feeling if you are perspiring inside of the sweater. I have never really considered this a real problem because if you are that hot, why don't you take the sweater off?

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tabby2002
Warming Up

Canada
87 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tabby2002's Homepage Send Tabby2002 a Private Message
Maybe that's what they meant Fran, that it doesn't absorb it...and I agree, if you get too hot with any sweater on, take it off...providing that is a possibility LOL.

Go to Top of Page

blwinteler
Permanent Resident

USA
3145 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  6:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit blwinteler's Homepage  Send blwinteler a Yahoo! Message Send blwinteler a Private Message
I used it on a sweater for my son and he loves it. Unfortunately, it was only cool enough for him to wear it for about a week. Next time it is cold out, he will have grown out of it. And I put his name on it.
Anyone know a 5-6 year old named Adam who wants a sweater with a dolphin on it?
Actually, I will probably tuck in the sleeves, sew it into a square, and stuff it to make a pillow. Adam does love having a lot of pillows.

Take care!
Brandy

My finished projects

[img]http://members.cox.net/blwinteler/th_TeamVegas2.jpg[/img]
Go to Top of Page

judith27
Warming Up

Canada
85 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  07:35:25 AM  Show Profile Send judith27 a Private Message
I appreciate the responses to my question. I am not concerned with the acrylic content. I wear Misook and Eileen Fisher jackets, the fabric of which are sometimes acrylic. It is the washability that worried me.
Yesterday, I made a 10" x 10" swatch, and threw it in with three loads of laundry/dryer. It behaved beautifully.
I wish I could say the same of my Mission Falls wool jacket, which I made this winter. The surface is covered with pills!!
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  07:52:39 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
I have made mostly scarves out of this and a few baby blankets because in my opinion they wear like iron. My sisters and my father love the scarves. I even made two sweaters for two relatives that requested this yarn. It might not be the most expensive but for what they wanted to use the items for it is ok.
I am a yarn snob myself but if this is what others want then so be it.
Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:12:07 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
Yes, the yarn snobs hate it when there's a really well-priced yarn that appeals to those of us without large bank accounts!

I use this yarn exclusively for anyone under 21 years of age!!! It washes and wears well. It's indestructable! It gets softer with each washing and if anyone has felt it lately, I think they actually made it softer than it used to be.

When the world as we know it ends...there will be two things left...tupperware and Red Heart yarn.
Go to Top of Page

4ply
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  11:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit 4ply's Homepage Send 4ply a Private Message
NCmusiclady:
"When the world as we know it ends...there will be two things left...tupperware and Red Heart yarn."

HaHaHaHa!!!! Don't forget Cher!
Go to Top of Page

Boston Terrier Knitter
Chatty Knitter

315 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  12:20:15 PM  Show Profile Send Boston Terrier Knitter a Private Message
I like reasonably priced yarn, but I don't like Red Heart. I have found it difficult to work with. To me, it seems to split easy. I'm glad to hear someone has had good luck with it. It was a hard yarn to try and work with when I first started knitting last year.

"Nothing in America is more American or more expressive of the American spirit than that of the little American dog, the Boston terrier."
http://bostonterrierknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

samsgrams
Chatty Knitter

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  1:45:53 PM  Show Profile Send samsgrams a Private Message
My mother made an afghan out of red heart wool in 1939 (no acrylic then)- I have it now and treasure it. It is still inperfect condition and I will pass it onto my daughters. It may have been cheap, dime store yarn - but it is still loved and used.

samsgrams
Go to Top of Page

Knit kitty
Permanent Resident

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  2:15:00 PM  Show Profile Send Knit kitty a Private Message
I have made scads of baby afghans out of Red Heart. It machine washes and dries extremely well. I do find, though, that I prefer to crochet rather than knit with it. For some reason it doesn't squeak as much on a crochet hook. DH has an afghan his grandmother made him out of Red Heart that looks like it was made yesterday.

That reminds me, I have to get some acrylic for a baby afghan for one of DH's coworkers.

~Rebecca

"Nothing, why?"
Go to Top of Page

~rosie~
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
435 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  5:19:29 PM  Show Profile Send ~rosie~ a Private Message
I have a 35 year old afghan of it myself. Since you know already you don't mind working with it and like the color, make that jacket!!

And show us the pics! =)

I'm hopelessly addicted. I'm strung out on yarn.
Go to Top of Page

knittingbaglady
Permanent Resident

USA
1207 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  5:57:12 PM  Show Profile Send knittingbaglady a Private Message
I crocheted afghans for my kids (when they were little) out of Red Heart, they wash beautifully.

Red Heart Soft is nice as well, not as stiff.

And on another Red Heart note:

They make short (8", I think) pretty colored knitting needles that are smooth and nice and perfect for smaller projects...or scarves.

Martha.

http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/

Go to Top of Page

NCmusiclady
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile Send NCmusiclady a Private Message
4 ply - ahhhhh...yes! Cher....God Bless her!

So when the world as we know it ends...there will be only a few things left...tupperware...Cher...and Red Heart Yarn!
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:54:42 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Judith: I knit lots of baby afghans out of Red Heart as it is machine wash and dryable. A mother with a new baby doesn't need extra work. I make these afghans about 48 inches long so if you can toss it in the dryer it is easier to deal with. Also it snaps back to shape. I don't find it scratchy at all. I make lots of hats and scarves out of it too. The hats are great in the rain because the water runs off and your hair stays dry. I know painted desert and I like it. They have a camouflage print out of which I knitted a London beanie for a young lady I know in the military and stationed in Iraq. She wears it all the time so I sent her a second one. Fits well under her helmet. Also it works up into an interesting pattern. I think you will do well with Red Heart and as Fran and another lady said if its too warm for the sweater just take it off. Good luck. If you like that yarn go ahead and use it. Personally I am not a yarn snob and use what I like. Take care. Beverley

PS: Forgot to add that the 8 inch needles mentioned above come three pairs to a set--US 7, 8 and 9. I ordered mine from Frugal Knitting Haus. They are great for narrow scarves and as they are short wonderful to use when travelling.

Bev
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?