Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 bored in the midwest......
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mo2grnmtn
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  6:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Send mo2grnmtn a Yahoo! Message Send mo2grnmtn a Private Message
I am so bored with my knitting...I need something new to do. I have been knitting a pair of socks and have about 2 in left so that will be done quickly. I don't mind harder patterns...I like a challenge. I am not sure what kind of thing I want to do...an afghan, maybe a not so complicated sweater...a hat...a bag...SOMETHING...I don't like to spend a lot on yarn but like nice yarn. Any ideas?
Sarah

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  9:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I'm about a year behind everyone else but I just did a Clapotis from Knitty and enjoyed it. I'm going to try the felted clogs next.

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

cozystitches
Gabber Extraordinaire

507 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  9:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cozystitches's Homepage Send cozystitches a Private Message
Design something for yourself...it'll challenge you! :D Start w/one of the design books: My choices are:
Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top
Maggie Righetti's Sweater Design in Plain English

Grab a stitch book and play with stithces.. :D This is what I'm doing now..I'm making myself a capelet w/some eyelets and cabling (w/o the cable needle..new trick I just learned!) :D

Otherwise...look at knitting books/mags/blogs/etc for ideas...or come over and knit me something ;)

Or think of the next birthday (or shower, or whatever gift) and make something for that. :D

Hugs,
tammy

Tammy
http://www.cozystitches.com
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  05:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
Sarah, maybe using some bright spring colors would help .. bright colors seem to chase boredom away. I can't remember the brand name but my LYS has some soft worsted weight cotton that comes in bright gold and other bright colors for about $4.50/50gr. think summer top, small treasure/gift bags for Mother's Day or if you have children end of school teacher gifts, the little bags are quick to do and can be used for sachet, soap on a rope, cell phone or I-Pod case, etc etc. how about trying stitch patterns using cotton or linen in a color that coordinates with your living room or family room to make a "shawl" or "scarf" for the top of the tv set or a table?
Go to Top of Page

RatherBknitting
Chatty Knitter

213 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  07:05:56 AM  Show Profile Send RatherBknitting a Private Message
Some suggestions:

wrist warmers -- I know it's almost the end of the cold weather, but there is a really cute pair on knitty.com. You can wear them under a blazer or spring jacket, and the pattern incorporates beads into the pattern. Maybe something new for you.

An afghan using squares with all different stitches. They did a show on Knitty Gritty with all of the aran patterns. Of course, you have to deal with the sewing up at the end (which I absolutely HATE)!!

How about a great knitting bag? I'm knitting the Constant Companion right now in a deep lavender/hot pink/bright green combination. I'm also taking the opportunity to teach myself the Continental method of knitting, since the pattern is mostly knit stitch.

Or how about this great spring purse? It's similar to the Constant Companion pattern. You could do the black and white, a nautical stripe, or bright spring colors. I love this purse, just saw it yesterday in an e-mail newsletter from Lionbrand. Link to pattern is attached.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50377.html?noImages=

Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  07:20:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
I am at the same point, and so I challenged myself by signing up for a lace class. Knitting lace is KILLING me! LOL. It is just the opposite of mindless, soothing knitting, requires full attention and I keep messing up. I also got excited when I found some gorgeous yarn (Rowan's Magpie) on sale at my LYS, and did NOT buy enough of one color for a sweater -- instead I bought four colors and am now trying to figure out what to do with it. The design puzzle is making things very interesting. So the solution for me were choosing some challenges.

Rob http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits/
Go to Top of Page

Musicknitter
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  07:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Musicknitter's Homepage Send Musicknitter a Private Message
You might try one of the many knit-alongs out there such as (I'm thinking socks because that's what you're currently knitting) Jaywalkers (okay, it's closed but you could still jump on the bandwagon) or Folk Socks (currently knitting the pretty challenging Norwegian Stockings). It seems that knit-alongs tend to have harder patterns and I find that they keep me more interested in the project because I want to post pictures, report progres, etc. You can find a list of 2006 knit-alongs here:
http://knitting.xaviermusketeer.com/2006knitalongs.html

-Erin

I wear fur - My cats leave it all over my clothes for me to wear.
http://musicknitter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  08:18:34 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Rob for you 4 diff balls of Rowan take a look at the Sally Melville Book 3. She has some great suggestion for that sort of thing.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

erica_hickey
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  08:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit erica_hickey's Homepage Send erica_hickey a Private Message
When I'm bored with my knitting, I like to go to the bookstore get some tea and a stack of knitting books and magazines to look through. Sometimes, instead of looking at the patterns, I'll look at the beautiful color combos.

my blog: http://knitpics.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

silfert
Chatty Knitter

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  09:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit silfert's Homepage Send silfert a Private Message
How about something from Shadow Knitting by Vivian H°xbro? Garter stitch with a really cool twist!
Go to Top of Page

eclair
Chatty Knitter

New Zealand
320 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  03:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit eclair's Homepage Send eclair a Private Message
Try a different form of knitting- like metal wire jewellery knitting (craft shops usually have supplies and instructions) or felting, if you haven't given that a go before.

I was struck with knitting-ennui recently so tossed all my on-the-needles projects in a big basket (they were reproving me with their stillness!) and shut the door on them. I dragged out some woolen yarn I hadn't known what to do with, knitted up a bag shape in a couple of days and threw it in the washer. I looked for instructions/ hints online first and ended up felting it twice. The second time it came out perfectly. Now I have a new knitting bag that I use all the time, having added handles. It only took 2 days and I had been bored stiff with everything in-progress and all my next-thing-to-knit projects weren't enticing me- I needed a 'quick win' as well as a challenge to make me feel enthusiastic again. Spice up your knit-life.

Try something new. Even crochet - learn something different. You'll be glad of the break AND you never regret learning.

Eclair
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  06:29:27 AM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
How about a real challenge? I am heading for fair isle or an aran sweater- it'll make me think and I'll also learn alot. I always like a challenge.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

rainyrivergirl
Chatty Knitter

Canada
212 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  09:12:44 AM  Show Profile Send rainyrivergirl a Private Message
I recently began the Lady Eleanor shawl and after initial confusion about how to tackle entrelac I am really enjoying it.
Go to Top of Page

The Literate Knitter
Warming Up

76 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  09:38:37 AM  Show Profile Send The Literate Knitter a Private Message
I second rainyrivergirl's suggestion. Lady Eleanor was very enjoyable. I felt challenged enough because I had never done entrelac, but after the first few rows I felt very comfortable with this new technique. Lady E is discussed a great deal here on the Forum so I am sure you can get suggestions for a affordable yet lovely yarn

Cindy from Tennessee
Go to Top of Page

LILynn
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  12:02:56 PM  Show Profile Send LILynn a Private Message
I just made a couple of felted bags for the first time - they were really fun and quick and even though the knitting was simple, learning how to felt was something new for me. I made a couple of the patterns from the book Pursenalities, the 3 Booga Bags (guess what everyone is getting for their bday this year!!!) and I am know making My Constant Companion.
Go to Top of Page

cpknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
300 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  4:12:43 PM  Show Profile Send cpknits a Private Message
I was also bored. I thought of it as inertia. I did what Eclair did, put my two projects aside and started an intarsia cardigan. This was after going through several books, magazines, etc..My 1st intarsia project was a bear but I think of it as a learning experience. I am enjoying this one. I also plan on starting a fairaisle project, maybe the Olympic sweater for DH. Carol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe