Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Finishing at LYS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  12:12:39 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I am wondering how many people have their garments finished at LYSs and how much do they usually charge to do this?

jamknit
Warming Up

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  7:44:40 PM  Show Profile Send jamknit a Private Message
I just can't even imagine...I love to finish. I know, all my knitting friends think I'm crazy, but when the seams just come together and voila. Mmmm I'm happy just thinking about it...HEY, maybe I could charge people to finish their stuff. I never thought of that.

Wendy
Go to Top of Page

trixie2020
Chatty Knitter

206 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit trixie2020's Homepage Send trixie2020 a Private Message
Wendy-

I'm warning you: I'm going to box up all my projects and send them to you for finishing if you keep talking that crazy talk! I hate seaming, probably because I'm not good at it. But, as I've heard over and over on the KR - practice makes perfect!

Jen M

"Me, ambivalent? Well, yes and no..."

www.monkeyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  1:29:55 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
I'm with Wendy on the completion issue, I truly do love putting my sweaters together. I enjoy sewing and carry over a number of techniques for basting and trying on before I actually seam a sweater. I have put sweaters together for others over the years and I like it. I guess that makes me strange but I actually look forward to assembling my knitting!

M L
Go to Top of Page

reelgrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2003 :  2:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit reelgrrrl's Homepage Send reelgrrrl a Private Message
Im with Jen! I have all KINDS of stuff waiting to be finished that Id LOVE to send to you ladies =)

http://cherryduckie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  07:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Going back to the original question on this thread, does anyone have finishing done at LYS?

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  08:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I don't have mine done at a LYS, but I remember seeing a sign about it at one that I visted recently. It seems that the pricing was high - and probably justifiably so. I think it was around $60-$80/garment. Sorry, didn't write the exact price down. My thought at the time was that it was too high for my blood and that I would rather spend the money on yarn or books or needles.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  3:15:34 PM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I've considered it enough to ask, but not enough to pay the $40 to $60 charge, depending on complexity. Also, the owner of the LYS is a bit unreliable, and I'm not sure I'd trust her to deliver and return my knitting in what I consider a timely fashion. I just completed my first no seaming (except the shoulders)sweater, and was delighted to be done when I finished knitting and sewing in a few ends.
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  06:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
I do my finishing myself, so the answer right now is No.........but all 3 LYS in my area offer finishing. $50-$100 depending on complexity of garment. This includes blocking and/or seaming.

At the LYS I work at part time, I have taken in 2 sweaters for finishing. The finisher has to look at garment and provide the customer final price and any concerns about the piece. (ie, problems she sees with yarn, stitches, size of pieces).

At another LYS, The Knitting Corner, I saw the before (including botton band and buttons) and I saw the sweater after the finisher, Margaret, did her thing. Wow!!!!

Some stores require you to purchase yarn from them.

I would offer these suggestions: ask to see a sample of the finishers work, if the finished product doesn't meet your standards what will be done, how long will it take, if the finisher takes the garment home is it a smoke free/animal free environment (smoke would bother me)

Hope that helps to answer your question.

Linda

http://www.wallisknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  08:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Linda,
Was that a good WOW or a bad WOW? I am really trying to figure out if I can justify the expense of LYS finishing vs. being lazy and if they are actually going to do a better job than I would. In my heart of hearts I still feel like it's cheating yet when I learned to knit we always took the sweaters to be finished at LYS. That of course was a long time ago, actually in the last century.

Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  10:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
Sorry....it was a GOOD WOW!!!!!! Margaret's work is just beautiful. She took a pile of knitted pieces that were lumpy and bumpy and turned out a beautiful cardigan.

I have asked her secrets, and she said "steam" and not to move the garment until it perfectly dry.

I understand your hesitation. Truthfully, there are some finishers who's work I don't care for, that's why I would suggest really asking questions, looking at their work, etc.

Linda

http://www.wallisknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Just another idea-- I'm working on a sweater right now, but, having never done the finishing myself, I wanted a hand. My LYS offers one-on-one tutoring (here for only $5 per session--probably for an hour at a time) and she said she'd be happy at that rate to show me how to finish the sweater. I'm visual-- and I want someone there to make sure I do it right! :) But in the future (and to save $) I'd like to learn to do it well myself....

Just another thought if having them finish it sound too pricey...

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

njkitter07746
Chatty Knitter

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit njkitter07746's Homepage Send njkitter07746 a Private Message
I love to finish sweaters. It is like great dessert after a long multi course meal. Very satisfying. Take a class at YLS on finishing. The techniques they will show you will make finishing faster and more professional. I have finished all of my Mother's sweaters that she has made for my children. Otherwise, they would never have worn them! Also, I sit with a dear friend as she finishes each of her projects. She pretends to still need help, but you know as well as I do that it is just so we can get together and gab for a few hours.

Rachel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?