Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Middle Aged Crazy!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  8:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
So today is my birthday and I decided to get a tattoo. Crazy? Probably. But I had a rough sketch of a ball of yarn with knitting needles. I took it in to a very nice tattoo 'gallery' in Golden, CO and he polished the sketch. Then I got it done on my lower hip/upper thigh. It's a bit bigger than I thought I'd get but I really like it. My husband and youngest son watched. My older son 'doesn't approve of tattoos' but he even thought it was kind of cool. My daughter hasn't seen it yet. I'm probably, (no probably) way too old for something like this but it was kind of fun. I'll be all conservative in my teaching/work clothes and know that I have a secret!

The tattoo artist had never done anything like it before and took a picture for his portfolio. Next time I'm here I'm supposed to come in so he can put in a picture with it healed.

Well...it was surely a memorable birthday and will make mundane Monday back at work just a bit more tolerable! Tee hee!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.

Nadege
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  8:23:03 PM  Show Profile Send Nadege a Private Message
Happy Birthday!!! Sounds great. Where's the pics?

Nadege
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  8:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Right now it's a little bruised so when it's healed completely I'll see about posting pics!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page

Expat2
Gabber Extraordinaire

Canada
459 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  8:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Expat2's Homepage Send Expat2 a Private Message
Did it hurt?
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  9:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
congrats!~ I have several tats, but none are knitting related, not that I haven't considered it!

*updated blog* http://www.samanthainstitches.blogspot.com/

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin again more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  9:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
It didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would! I absolutely hate needles, like shots and giving blood. I didn't know if I could do it. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. Now I'm not saying it felt good though! He did say that I did extremely well for a first tattoo!

~~~~Jamye

Go to Top of Page

2trees
Seriously Hooked

749 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  10:35:20 PM  Show Profile Send 2trees a Private Message
For some reason, tattooing is not like shots, etc. I too thought that I would pass out from a tattoo (from the needlephobia, not the pain) but no. I wish I had $ to get more. :)

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.
-Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Tangled Jane
Seriously Hooked

Canada
750 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  03:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tangled Jane's Homepage Send Tangled Jane a Private Message
Oh, but you are a brave woman! I admire your 'just do it' style and what could be better to sport around than a ball of yarn? Today's my birthday but i'm too much of a coward to get a tattoo--the sight of those needles....

http://www.janethornley.com/journal_knitters.php?start_from=5&ucat=&archive=&subaction=&id=&
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  04:13:59 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi Jayme,

Happy Birthday and I think your incredibly brave.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

sandrasingh
Seriously Hooked

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  06:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandrasingh's Homepage Send sandrasingh a Private Message
Happy Birthday! You're now an official Gangsta Knitter...watch this video & you'll understand!

http://www.pisadesigns.com/GangstaKnitter.htm

Sandra Singh
www.sandrasingh.com
sandrasingh@sandrasingh.com
Go to Top of Page

Willow1
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  08:08:04 AM  Show Profile Send Willow1 a Private Message
Jamye, Where in CO do you live? I live in Wheat Ridge, about 5 minutes from Golden. I went last year for my 47th birthday to get my first tattoo at a place in Thornton, CO. I took in a very rough drawing of what I wanted, A Scottish Thistle. I am Scottish and the thistle is the symbol of Scotland. He did a great job and his art work was excellent. So I have a thistle above my right ankle and proudly show it around in the summer. The Tattoo guy, thanked me for letting him do such an original tattoo. When I came home, my husband kept telling me IT's not real...and I said "It is!" He now knows it is real, because it hasn't washed off yet!
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  08:16:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
Willow1, I don't live in Colorado. My sons and my money go to School of Mines! The place I went to was called Faith Tattoo on 13th in Golden. My husband keeps saying how 3-D it looks! I'm anxious for it to be healed completely so I can see the real 'finished' product. Oh...it was my 48th birthday! ;-)

~~~~Jamye

Go to Top of Page

COgirl
Permanent Resident

USA
2176 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  08:16:32 AM  Show Profile Send COgirl a Private Message
I don't think I'm brave enough to get a tattoo. And I'm not sure I want one either, truthfully. I've always thought they turn kind of green after they've been on many years. However, being over 50 now, maybe I wouldn't have to worry about them turning green in 30 or 40 years! Can a tattoo be put on wrinkly skin??? HA HA HA. [:00]
Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  08:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I told the guy he could incorporate my stretch marks into the texture of the yarn! And when I called my daughter she said don't gain any weight or it would turn into size 50 needles and rug yarn! What a sweetheart, huh!

This one is black and gray. Shaded. Probably in 30/40 years I won't be able to turn my head to see what color it is anyway! :-D

~~~~Jamye

Go to Top of Page

Willow1
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  09:42:32 AM  Show Profile Send Willow1 a Private Message
Too bad you don't live here darn it, we could hang out at my favorite yarn shop here in Wheat Ridge. I know the School of MInes well, I used to work at Coors Brewery about 10 years ago. My thistle is a bright Magenta with green and yellow leaves so if it fades in a few years, I will just get it touched up a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Nanaknit
Chatty Knitter

287 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  10:12:30 AM  Show Profile Send Nanaknit a Private Message
Happy Birthday, Jayme!!

My daughters got me a tattoo for Mother's Day two years ago. It all started out as a family joke. Every year they asked me what I wanted for my birthday, Christmas, etc and every year I would say a tattoo. Two years ago they called my bluff and got me a certificate for a tattoo for Mother's Day.

No way could I wimp out, and I secretly wanted one anyway. So, we all went down to the tattoo parlor and I got a heart with a butterfly on my ankle. I figured that would be one place that wouldn't sag too much as time goes by. My girls said I was going through my second childhood-so I guess that makes me middle aged crazy, too!

I always said one was enough, but yours sound great, so who knows....

Linda

"Honey, a man can't keep his gun in a cookie jar. It just isn't done!" - Janet Evanovich
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  1:26:14 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
Jayme, congrats on your Birthday and the tatoo. This is really cool.

I really am way too old but always wanted a tiny butterfly on my shoulder.

Linda, I love your tag line. Hahahaha!

lella[img]http://smilies.sofrayt.com/^/9971/omelet.gif[/img]

http://zippiknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rho
Permanent Resident

1570 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rho's Homepage Send Rho a Private Message
As usual I am a day late -- but Happy Birthday!!!! And I can't wait to see the picture also.

rho
http://rhosknittingwoes.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

azblueskies
Permanent Resident

2395 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  3:11:18 PM  Show Profile Send azblueskies a Private Message
Happy belated birthday, Jayme. Really cool way to celebrate. Wish I wasn't such a chicken.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Go to Top of Page

Momo
Seriously Hooked

635 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  3:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momo's Homepage Send Momo a Private Message
Awesome! Can't wait to see it.

I have been considering the crafster pirate. But maybe I shoul get the t-hirt first

Cheers,

Charc

My Blog: Kung Fu Knitting
Ithaca S'n B Blog
Go to Top of Page

latebloomer
Warming Up

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  4:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit latebloomer's Homepage Send latebloomer a Private Message
I would totally get this as a tattoo if I knew I could take it, and that it would stay nice. But my one tat (that didn't hurt that much) is a little out of alignment. And this is a lot bigger with more colors.

------------
Melissa
Knitting & sewing in Michigan
my blog
my shop
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page