Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 summer retreats
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:09:48 AM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message
Anyone know about any summer retreats or knitting experiences in the New England/NY area this summer. Last summer my friend and I did Camp Stitches in NY but they are not having it this year.
We would like to get away again for a little knitting time.
Thanks. Marcia

PamS
Seriously Hooked

USA
943 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile Send PamS a Private Message
There is Camp Stitches but it's in North Carolina. There's also Stitches MidWest in August in the Chicago Metro Area. Memorial Day weekend is the Mass. Sheep & Wool, which is small but fun and then you can shop at WEBS and Yankee Candle nearby. You may also want to check out Countrywools in Hudson NY. She runs retreats, but I don't know if there just in the fall and spring.

--PamS
Women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.
Go to Top of Page

eggshel344
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit eggshel344's Homepage  Send eggshel344 a Yahoo! Message Send eggshel344 a Private Message
I would love to know about any retreats and/or events in the midwest area- I am anxiously awaiting Stitches Midwest.

There is also a fiber fest on April 22nd in Western IL, at the Jane Addams Community Center 430 W. Washington Street Cedarville, Illinois, it's called the Stephenson County Fiber Art Fair.

*updated blog* http://www.samanthainstitches.blogspot.com/

"Failure is only an opportunity to begin again more intellegently."
When Henry Ford said that I doubt he had knitting in mind, but if the sweater fits...
Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  09:46:58 AM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message
Do you happen to have a website for Countrywools? I googled it but couldn't come up with anything.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  10:05:17 AM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message
Found the site. They look good but as we are teachers, summer is better for us. I'll keep looking.
Go to Top of Page

fiddlestix
Chatty Knitter

100 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  12:18:33 PM  Show Profile Send fiddlestix a Private Message
There is a knitting retreat at a camp called Medomak in Washington, Maine. It is a rustic, but nice facility, and the food is great. Plus, it's not far from a lot of cute yarn shops, including my fave, Halcyon Yarn. They do have a Medomak website with a link to the knitting retreat.
Go to Top of Page

Dakota122503
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  07:08:01 AM  Show Profile Send Dakota122503 a Private Message
PamS do you have a link for the Mass sheep and wool? (I googled but got nothing) I am only an hour from WEBS so it sound like it's in my area!!

Wife to Brandon 7/8/00 Mommy to Mathias 11/12/05
[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/qp2zhi.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

firemanshunny
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  09:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit firemanshunny's Homepage Send firemanshunny a Private Message
Here is a link to the Mass sheep and wool festival
http://www.masheepwool.org/

Firemanshunny

http://www.onhooksandneedles.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Corddrymum
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
519 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  1:58:48 PM  Show Profile Send Corddrymum a Private Message
I wish there were more events this spring, summer, fall in NE. I live near Boston and I'm looking forward to the fall show on the common.
Robin
Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  06:37:05 AM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message
Has anyone been to the MA Sheep and Wool event?
There is an event at Drumlin Farm on April 8 that looks somewhat similar. I am planning on doing this as I am taking my KDG class to the farm in May, so want to preview the whole thing myself.
I think I am looking for more of a retreat/knitting experience with instructors. I loved Camp Stitches in NY. Instructors were great and people were very friendly and nice.
Can't do the one in ME even though that looks interesting as we are away that week already.
I went to the event on the common last year and this didn't quite do anything for me.
I know people took a lot of time doing this/set up/etc, but there were way too many people and it just seemed like stores or manufacturers showing their wares that you couldn't buy.

I'll keep looking. Maybe something will turn up.
Go to Top of Page

Dakota122503
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  07:31:25 AM  Show Profile Send Dakota122503 a Private Message
Hey thanks for the link Firemanshunny It looks like fun, and not to far from me!!

Wife to Brandon 7/8/00 Mommy to Mathias 11/12/05
[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/qp2zhi.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

KromGal
Gabber Extraordinaire

594 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  2:08:55 PM  Show Profile Send KromGal a Private Message
While not a "retreat" per se, I received the latest Harrisville Designs spring through fall class schedule in today's mail. (Harrisville is a small village outside of Keene, NH, and the HD building is in a charming old mill.) There is a "retreat" feel to their classes (Vivian Hoxbro is teaching in June, Galina Khmeleva in October) as the participants are lodged in an old "boardinghouse" across the street from the mill and studio! If you are interested in spinning or weaving, there are more class choices.
Go to Top of Page

madams716
Chatty Knitter

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  06:58:05 AM  Show Profile Send madams716 a Private Message
In the Midwest area (Indiana), there is a machine and hand knitters retreat - you can find details here: http://www.knittingtoday.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc.

If you're interested in Cat Bordhi classes, she is offering several.

Mary
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?