Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 weave in procrastinator!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

knitting_physicist
Chatty Knitter

122 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2006 :  10:15:40 PM  Show Profile Send knitting_physicist a Private Message
Today I finally, actually finished the shawl that I claimed was done a few weeks ago. Of course, I am already a third the way through two other projects...

Just wondering how many other people leave the weaving in too long. I even give my husband "finished" projects and promise to weave in the ends later. On one scarf, he got tired and did it himself with a pen at work! Maybe I should keep giving him projects like that...

-Sarah
No...gravitational physics makes the world go round.

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2674 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  12:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I try to weave them in as I go along - otherwise it's just too depressing to face that little bit of fussing when you want to be admiring/wearing your FO.

Luann

Knit and let knit!
This is not a blog:
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GrandmaHatter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
440 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  7:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit GrandmaHatter's Homepage Send GrandmaHatter a Private Message
I just finished a sweater that was languishing because I didn't feel like sewing on the trim... after a week of staring at it I finally figured that with 1/2 hour of work I could be wearing the stupid thing, so then I finally sucked it up and did it. Isn't it funny what big babies we can be? If we lived 200 years ago we would be weaving in the ends or sewing on the trim (if we were lucky enough to have trim) after shearing the sheep, washing the fleece, combing it, dying it, spinning it, and then finally knitting one of probably three or four sweaters that we would have to knit each year for our families. Sheesh!

Kristin

I'm blogalicious:
http://leftcoastknits.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  7:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
It depends on the project. I was showing a class the other day a pair of socks I have that I've washed maybe forty times and haven't weaved the ends in yet because I'm not convinced I like the pattern and it's easier to frog if I can find the end. In fact, I seldom REALLY weave the ends in on my own things - you can't see them, things look tidy from the outside, but the insides have ends, for just that purpose. I'm fickle, and I like having the option to change things. Gifts get weaved right away while knitting, and then touched up at the end.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
http://RoseByAny.BlogSpot.Com
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  10:09:06 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I always knit the ends in as I go, saves a ton of time in the long run. I usually knit with wool and spit-splice the new yarn - no ends, or if it can't be spliced I use the Russian join. The only exception to these techniques was my first fair isle about 20 years ago. I never did finish the steeks after cutting, was terrified they would pull apart, so I just left them. Now they've felted, so what's the point? I should post of photo of the inside - you'd be amazed!
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

Pink Dandelion
Chatty Knitter

136 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  1:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pink Dandelion's Homepage Send Pink Dandelion a Private Message
oooh I hate weaving in ends! Of course this presented a problem when I knitted some tipless gloves, 10 ends per glove! :-P
I encourage myself to weave in ends by not thinking of the project as done until I have. Even on my project counter I'll leave the last 1-5% for the end weaving.

[img]http://pinkdandelion.com/images/PDgifsmall.gif[/img]
My Blog:www.pinkdandelion.com
Go to Top of Page

galleylama
Seriously Hooked

753 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  1:58:20 PM  Show Profile Send galleylama a Private Message
I think I am probably in the minority here, but I like to finish off my knit work. I guess it's some kind of weird satisfaction thing, having it all finished. I don't mind assembling sweaters, or joining squares, weaving ends - it's like a puzzle to me, making it all invisible.

It is easier to be forgiven than to receive permission.
Go to Top of Page

Dakota122503
Warming Up

98 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  6:05:54 PM  Show Profile Send Dakota122503 a Private Message
I have to agree, I do not like weaving in ends, and ocassionally will leave a project without the ends finished for way more time than I should.

Wife to Brandon 7/8/00 Mommy to Mathias 11/12/05
[IMG]http://i2.tinypic.com/qp2zhi.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

highdesertrose
Gabber Extraordinaire

Malta
544 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  11:07:49 PM  Show Profile Send highdesertrose a Private Message
Hate it, but I've *trained* myslef to weave in as I go along so I don't end up with a rat's nest of loose ends[crazy]

~Rena~
Making and wearing handknit socks just makes the world that much more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

klingklang77
Chatty Knitter

Australia
102 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  10:47:42 AM  Show Profile Send klingklang77 a Private Message
I agree, I do not like to weave in ends. Sometimes projects will sit for months.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

probablyjane
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
1227 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  11:23:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit probablyjane's Homepage Send probablyjane a Private Message
As knitting is for pleasure I've learned to work around my dislike of making up and sewing in ends - since I discovered top down cardigans and spit splicing I haven't looked back!

Jane (who i sewing up a cotton top abandoned at the end of last summer as we speak just to remind myself how little I enjoy it...)

'I am the milkman of human kindness - I will leave an extra pint' Billy Bragg
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janelithgow/album
Go to Top of Page

busygirl
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
1673 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  2:01:48 PM  Show Profile Send busygirl a Private Message

I have always been in the habit of leaving weaving in of ends until a project is finished,as it's such a tedious job.
At the moment I am knitting a cardigan;I have finshed the back,sleeves and the left front and have been weaving in the ends as each piece was completed.The cardigan is knitted in an all-over cable pattern;I have been wet-blocking each piece as it was completed,so I decided to weave in all the ends before wetting the knitting.
I think that from now on,I'll be doing all my weaving in as I go along.

Leslie

My Pics
http://photos.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
My Blog
http://au.360.yahoo.com/abreyleslie
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2006 :  7:57:20 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I have a shawl that I actually finished knitting about 1 month ago that has been waiting for its 25 ends to be sewn in; admittedly it has been too hot to even touch it as it is alpaca, but now that the weather is cooling down, I have no more excuses and, besides, I want to be able to wear it soon!

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

http://photos.yahoo.com/lillysmum2002

2006 Stats: 2 WIPs, 6 FOs
Go to Top of Page

careynev
Chatty Knitter

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile Send careynev a Private Message
I hate sewing in ends!!!! I actually gave my husband a sweater with color work at the top and never sewed in the ends on the color part! He wears it all the time, and the only time anyone knows is if he unzips it far enough for the upper part to fall way open. I truly don't think I could have sewn the colored yarns in well enough to hide them without making a mess, so I've convinced myself that I was right to leave them dangling...

Need to rationalize anything? I'm your girl--I can come up with a convincing reason for you to do (or not do) anything!

Judy, the Nerdy Knitter (http://nerdyknitter.blogspot.com )
Go to Top of Page

Redshoes01
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  11:19:51 PM  Show Profile Send Redshoes01 a Private Message
I hate sewing in ends, so I try to incorporate them in the knitting as I go, but nearly always I find I have knitted one in that I should have left for sewing up, especially with lots of colour changes. Can't win!
Paula
Go to Top of Page

bteinspruch
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  05:42:42 AM  Show Profile Send bteinspruch a Private Message
Could someone tell me what "split splice" and "Russian join" means that one of the listers mentioned? Also, does anyone have any ideas about what to do with cotton and cotton blend ends after weaving in to keep them from showing or poking out on a baby blanket? I've finally tried splitting them up into three or so threads and weaving those in so it isn't so bulky. Has anyone tried fabric "fray block" to keep weave ins from unraveling? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gwtreece
Permanent Resident

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  06:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Send gwtreece a Yahoo! Message Send gwtreece a Private Message
I learned along time ago from cross stitching to finish as I go. When I did cross stitch, I would always do my backstitching as I worked a project otherwise I would never finish it. I have followed this thru with my knitting.

Wanda
My Blog
Go to Top of Page

cataylor90@hotmail.com
Warming Up

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2006 :  4:53:25 PM  Show Profile Send cataylor90@hotmail.com a Private Message
Weaving in ends is so tedious; I tend to put it off as long as I can. I have a pair of socks I've been wearing for over a year that I still just tuck the extra end down inside the leg!

Cat
http://catknitter.blog-city.com/
Go to Top of Page

Janice Alline
Seriously Hooked

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  7:43:02 PM  Show Profile Send Janice Alline a Private Message
I finished a pair of the Conway socks from Nancy Bush's book Knitting On The Road about a month ago & I finally wove the ends in last week. Of course, I wore them 3 or 4 times during that period. Now I don't feel so bad. I should have known!

I have to be in the mood to weave ends in. For me, the worst place (on socks) to weave the ends in is on the bottom of the foot where it's all straight knitting (in the round). On the top of the foot or the leg where there's pattern, I find it easier.

Jan in Lawrence, KS aka Warrior Knitter
" Here lies Lester Moore
Four slugs from a .44
No Les No More. "
Lester Moore was a Wells, Fargo Co. station agent for Naco, Arizona in the cowboy days of the 1880's. He's buried in the Boot Hill Cemetery in Tombstone, Arizona

Go to Top of Page

metromaples
Seriously Hooked

USA
878 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2006 :  06:23:15 AM  Show Profile Send metromaples a Private Message
I guess shawls and scarfs need their ends woven in, but I agree with Rosebyany above. I have one pair of socks that never got woven and they don't seem to care, and my feet don't seem to care so... There was one sweater that got woven but it turns out that there was an end coming from somewhere near one underarm that got missed. I wore it a few time, making sure that the end went down the sleeve with my arm, before going back to do the last weaving.

Jeri

Go to Top of Page

Knitrageous
Permanent Resident

USA
1445 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2006 :  11:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitrageous's Homepage Send Knitrageous a Private Message
I don't know how many 'finished' projects I have that really aren't finished. Maybe instead of starting something new I should just weave in the ends and finish some of these finished things!

~~~~Jamye

I don't have a problem with authority, I just have a problem with people telling me what to do.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?