Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Camp Stitches teachers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  12:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
All,

So Camp Stitches is in California, and this is the schedule:

Bush, Nancy--Estonian Traditions
Bylsma, Christine -- Stash Away Island
Devine, Valentina --Creative Knitting and Beyond
Frost, Jean --Design Your Basic Jacket
Kandis, Mags --Embellishments & More
Mason-Jamieson, Maureen --Japanese Knitting Technique

If anyone has taken classes from these ladies, could you post your impressions of them as teachers and how useful was the class? Also include your level of knitting after taking the class, and whether you used the information.

Mistress Kelley of the Hellacious Sockknitting

Going to He** for buying sock yarn during Lent, but at least my feet won't be cold.

http://ceallachknits.blogspot.com

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  7:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I've taken classes from all except Mags Kandis (though I have always liked her designs for Mission Falls a lot) and there isn't a bad teacher in the group. I think that I learned the most from Jean Frost and Nancy Bush, but if you are interested in expanding your creativity, you might want to go with Valentina Devine or Chris Bylsma.

Have fun!

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  7:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
I have only taken classes from Maureen Mason Jamieson (3 over the past two years). That tells you how much I like her teaching style and her attention to details. I'd be very interested in all these classes, and the brochure on Camp Stitches is tucked in my desk just in case. Now is it your understanding that one chooses classes or are they all part of the standard schedule? I couldn't figure it out.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

JGOLOSO
Gabber Extraordinaire

491 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2006 :  9:57:06 PM  Show Profile Send JGOLOSO a Private Message
I took a class from Chris Bylsma and loved it. Her personality and enthusiasm is really a plus. She is so nice, funny and down to earth. I really liked her. I would definitely take another class from her.

J.
Go to Top of Page

knitz2
Permanent Resident

USA
1800 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  07:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitz2's Homepage Send knitz2 a Private Message
I, too, like Maureen's teaching style ..... and I've noticed she is one who can deal with more than one level of knitter in the same class. Almost nothing is more frustrating to me than to have someone sitting beside me in an Intermediate/Advanced class continually asking for help with such basics as cast on, M1, or SSK. Maureen doesn't hesitate to separate the room into groups and teach 2 or 3 class levels at the same time. I don't know that her topic for Camp Stitches intrigues me, but she is great.
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  07:49:44 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Laura Ver

I have only taken classes from Maureen Mason Jamieson (3 over the past two years). That tells you how much I like her teaching style and her attention to details. I'd be very interested in all these classes, and the brochure on Camp Stitches is tucked in my desk just in case. Now is it your understanding that one chooses classes or are they all part of the standard schedule? I couldn't figure it out.

Laura

I agree, it is a little unclear, but my understanding is that you take one 3-day workshop during the session. Several places it refers to the "3-day workshops" and on the registration form, you pick a first choice and two alternates in case your first choice is full.
Go to Top of Page

mmjryoung
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  1:34:44 PM  Show Profile Send mmjryoung a Private Message
I did Camp Stitches last summer. Christine Bylsma, Mags Kandis, and Jean Frost were there. All were fabulous. I loved what Mags Kandis did with the embellishments so this might be my opt. Christine Bylsma's group did a plaid vest that did not appeal to me in the write up but WOW when I saw it I was sorry I didn't take that! Jean Frost is good too. I think she did a more conventional jacket.
You could not loose with any of them.
Go to Top of Page

joym624
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  3:31:00 PM  Show Profile Send joym624 a Private Message
I took Jean Frost's class. She spent most of the time on measuring ourselves and basic dressmaking skills. She did go over some edgings and buttonholes also.
Joy

www.joyofyarn.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  2:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message
I took one of Nancy Bush's classes at MD Sheep&Wool, and she is a great teacher! Personable, patient, able to see who's picking up what and give help where needed. She also uses her time well and provided great handouts that I am still using two years later.

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
www.springfiberfestival.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaM
Warming Up

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  2:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit SheilaM's Homepage Send SheilaM a Private Message
Does anyone know about the Camp Stitches Junaluska in North Carolina, June 1-5?

SheilaM
www.wool2dye4.com
www.springfiberfestival.com
Go to Top of Page

castelfam7625
Chatty Knitter

USA
170 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  07:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit castelfam7625's Homepage Send castelfam7625 a Private Message
I took 2 classes with Chris Bylsma when she came to Memphis last fall. I took the crayon box jacket and a stash class. If you are interested in her patterns like Diva Ware, Puttin' on the Bitz Scarf, and Potpourri shawl, she will show you some creative ideas on what to do with your stash, especially those novelty yarn leftovers. I would highly recommend any class with her.

Lisa C in Tn
http://knitternavywife.blogspot.com/
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy sh** - what
a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

mmshah
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  2:22:28 PM  Show Profile Send mmshah a Private Message
I also took two classes from Chris Bylsma when she came to my LYS in Rochester. What a creative lady, and I just love my crayon box sweater. Most of the women in the class had the basics down--knit, purl, decrease, bind off, pick up. There was one poor soul who had just barely begun to knit and she was having a difficult time, but Chris was very good with her.

Marilyn in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Margie
Permanent Resident

USA
1032 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  12:20:46 AM  Show Profile Send Margie a Private Message
I live in CA and drooled over the flier when it came recently. However money's the object and there was only one class that really interested me -- the Japanese knitting techniques.

I had a different experience with Nancy Bush. Two (?) years ago when she'd just returned from Estonia, she was so high on the country that she spent much of her class time at Stitches West talking instead of teaching. And, there was no homework -- we wasted valuable class time knitting up samples we could easily have done at home. Everyone grumbled about the poor way we thought the calss was handled.

I am glad to hear others like her -- but it will take a great deal to convince me to attend a class of hers again.

I do, however, own several of her sock books.

Margie of Silly Cone Valley, CA
Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  10:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
That Japanese technique class is also what I would choose if I could attend, but it isn't going to be feasible for me either. I'd rather indulge in Stitches West and sample a variety of topics and teachers there...although I would take Asilomar over Santa Clara any time!

Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?