Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Jury duty summons!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  07:29:01 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I just got called to jury duty for a day in April. The first thin I did was look at the fine print. It says that all "weapons" will be confiscated, including ".... knitting and crochet needles (sic)..." Wah!

The way it works here is that you call the night before ti see if they need you the next day. If they need you, you go in an go through the attorney's asking you questions, then accepting or rejecting you. I think I've been called 4 or times and been acepted once. Usually the defense attorney asks if you have any relatives in law enforcement. By the time I reel off my father, 2 uncles, 2 cousins, a brother-in-law, etc, they don't want me anymore. So it's a colossal waste of time. Plus, with my job theyhave to plan for my absence, so even if I show up at 11 it doesn'thelp because they have not booked for me.

Oh well, it's the price of living in a free country. But how free is it if they don't let you knit? Not during the proceedings, mind you, but while waiting.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  09:52:39 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
Bummer! Our Superior Court sends out a questionnaire so those with ties to law enforcement, victims of felons, etc. are screened out and your times isn't wasted. I've been called a few times, but was seated just once - and then the defendant entered a guilty plea just minutes before we were to convene.
Dicksie

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Go to Top of Page

Calamintha
Permanent Resident

USA
2886 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  6:16:36 PM  Show Profile Send Calamintha a Private Message
I would suggest that you call the Jury Commissioner's Office and ask them. It's possible that the form was printed up a while back and they haven't gotten around to revising it yet. It seems like knitting needles are accepted most places now. When I had jury duty about a year ago I called the Jury Commissioner and they weren't even sure what the policy was. So I went with socks on wooden dpns (figuring that I would put them back in the car if not allowed) and had no trouble at all.
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2006 :  8:54:15 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Anita: I worked in the courts for more years than I care to think about and was on a jury, fortunately as an alternate, for 12-13 weeks. It was awful. Now, having clarified where I am coming from, call and find out if you can bring wooden or bamboo needles. Needless to say you won't be able to knit when the jury is sitting if you are picked but I can't see why not in the assembly room.

Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Sorka
Gabber Extraordinaire

486 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  4:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sorka's Homepage  Send Sorka a Yahoo! Message Send Sorka a Private Message
You could always protest it by taking some pencils or pens or chopsticks with you and knitting with those.. just to show how ridiculous it is!

Seeing as those things would be just as 'effective' as weapons.. hmmm?

Denise
My blog has moved to KnitChat.com
come on over!
Go to Top of Page

knittyref
Chatty Knitter

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  8:09:17 PM  Show Profile Send knittyref a Private Message
Don't be so sure that you won't wind up on a trial. There are always civil cases. I've served even though I've worked for the court's for over 20 years.

As for the needles, they are mostly looking for the big honking metal needles. The last time I went, I took a sock on bamboo needles. Got 3 good hours of knitting done with a number of court (not people I know) stopping to ohh and ahh.

If you really want to be able to knit, call the jury information number and ask how serious they are about it.

Di
www.knittyref.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mean Mama
Permanent Resident

USA
1138 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  2:33:09 PM  Show Profile Send Mean Mama a Private Message
As they are now not allowing tee shirts with certain slogans considered intimidating nor are they allowing you to carry your cell phone into the building if it has camera functions, I would not expect any "exceptions" in your district.

I was impaneled for three days this winter, and missed my knitting terribly when forced to endure the endless waiting during the selection process.

"YMMV" as always!

-- Mean Mama

Additional info: my son is a police officer, but neither of the cases I was interviewed for involved police in an active way, only as 3rd party reporters of information, thus it was not deemed a conflict of interest.
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  3:25:36 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
I was called for the criminal courts last summer and at least half of the pool had someone related to them in law enforcement. They were NOT summarilly excused based on those relationships (although it's possible that the attorneys used the information in deciding who to use their peremptory challenges on). Also, my brother who is an attorney, had to sit on a criminal Grand Jury within the last few years, so even attorneys are not exempt. (This in in New York state.)

The only automatic exemptions were for people who could document medical issues, family issues etc. In those cases the trial judge spoke with the potential jurors and dismissed them.

I didn't get empaneled, but had to sit in the pool room for three days. I got interviewed for two different cases, but not selected.

Meg

There's two sides to everything. One knitter's knit stitch is another knitter's purl.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  11:04:01 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
The last case I was examined for involved an assault on a police officer. Sort of. The guy spit at the cop. Anyway, I think my relatives helped me out there.

I don't mind getting called for a one day case. But I would hate to be one one that went on for days. We don't get a lot of that in this county.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5190 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  2:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I was called up three or four years ago and ended up serving on the jury in a tort case. Anita, the Fairfax County courthouse is dreadfully boring without any knitting. I did get some great reading done while I was there, but I would have liked something that required less concentration for those times when people were milling around during breaks.

Support our Yarniversal charities: http://www.cafepress.com/yarniversalcult
http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
http://www.crazylanea.typepad.com/eating_poetry/
Go to Top of Page

Momma78239
Permanent Resident

USA
4859 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  2:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Momma78239's Homepage  Send Momma78239 a Yahoo! Message Send Momma78239 a Private Message
Time to take up spinning and take along a spindle!

-WendyM[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/Momma78239/smallspindlepic.gif[/IMG]
And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. Exodus 35:25
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  3:02:35 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by megknits

I was called for the criminal courts last summer and at least half of the pool had someone related to them in law enforcement.

Time to move to a bigger city LOL! It's rare to be called and I've yet to hear of anyone near me being called in twice.

http://greenfishoutofwater.blogspot.com
www.femiknits.blog-city.com
Go to Top of Page

HilaryL
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
360 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  3:24:39 PM  Show Profile Send HilaryL a Private Message
I've gotten called regularly my whole adult life, every place we've lived, though I've yet to actually get onto a jury. My husband has never gotten called. It's weird. But no knitting needles? That's criminal! :) I was assuming that's how I'd get through the waiting. I'd try to bring them anyway ...

Hilary
Go to Top of Page

Dicksie
Permanent Resident

USA
1995 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  08:51:18 AM  Show Profile Send Dicksie a Private Message
I just received a jury summons for my 94-year-old mother to appear 100+ miles from us in Federal Court!
She hasn't been out of the nursing home for three years! Sheesh!
Dicksie

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  11:41:16 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Oh I don't know, Mokey, my sister gets called regularly, and she lives in a large city, infact she used to get called regularly while living in NYC.

I love the idea of spinning with a drop spindle while waiting! That would be funny!

The notice said all such "weapons" will be confiscated, so I'm not taking a chance an anything being taken from me. I'm behind in reading anyway, so I'll bring books. Maybe I'll get the Yarn Harlot's new book by then -- but then do I want to be sitting in a quiet crowd laughing out loud?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

himimom
New Pal

29 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  10:11:46 AM  Show Profile Send himimom a Private Message
I got a jury duty summons and reported about a month ago. I brought my knitting and went through security, but as I was sitting in the jury room the deputy came up to me and confiscated my knitting. It was a mighty long day especially since I got picked for a murder trial. It was awful. I hope I never have to do that again.

carol
Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  06:57:11 AM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Hi,

Here in Australia if you are called up for Jury Duty, they just send you a form.

On the form there are a list of things that make you exempt.

If you have children to care for or even pick up after school, you don't have to do it.

But if they are as security conscious as our airlines are, you are probably not allowed to knit either.

Knit in peace and harmony.

Rose in Melbourne, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  09:51:37 AM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by himimom

I got a jury duty summons and reported about a month ago. I brought my knitting and went through security, but as I was sitting in the jury room the deputy came up to me and confiscated my knitting. It was a mighty long day especially since I got picked for a murder trial. It was awful. I hope I never have to do that again.

carol

Did they give it back to you at the end of the day?

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Go to Top of Page

Beverly the Bronx Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
1026 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile Send Beverly the Bronx Girl a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dicksie

I just received a jury summons for my 94-year-old mother to appear 100+ miles from us in Federal Court!
She hasn't been out of the nursing home for three years! Sheesh!
Dicksie

Go to Top of Page

BB in NJ
Chatty Knitter

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile Send BB in NJ a Private Message
I had jury duty late in March. Took along knitting (wooden needles); knitting is not on the forbidden list on the summons. At the courthouse the security guy asked if I had my knitting (he saw the knitting), I said yes. he told me I couldn't have it and offered to "confiscate" it. I left the courthouse, rearranged the bag so the needles and unfinished knitting no longer showed and marched back in with a crowd. Passed security just fine the 2nd time-- only to be dismissed when I checked in!

Beverly in NJ
Go to Top of Page

himimom
New Pal

29 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  06:14:00 AM  Show Profile Send himimom a Private Message
Anita,

Yes, I got it back at the end of the day.

Carol
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.